Question Should I trade my PV1D for a B&W ASW 825 or 855 or should I save for a DB1?

Singhisking

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Basically what the title says unsure atm mainly use for movies and will be upgrading the system gradually with hopefully some cm9s or cm10s. Currently use a Denon 4520 as the avr.

Thanks everyone

Will it cost you trade it?

Well I'm guessing another £400-£600 for 825 i reckon would i be better off getting another pv1d?

Well I'm guessing another £400-£600 for 825 i reckon would i be better off getting another pv1d?

Are you swapping it at a retailer or something? What size room are you listening in and how loud do you listen?

I owned a PV1 (original version) a long time ago and while I agree it's a tuneful sub, it doesn't really have any authority at all below 30hz (based on the old PV1). When I upgraded to an SVS PB12+ the price was similar at £920 but that's where the similarities ended.. the PB12+ was about 4 x the size and it bettered the PV1 in every department. My point being that if you're after performance over aesthetics then you could probably do a lot better than what you have now.. I'm sorry to say that (based on my experience with the older model) if a PV1D is £1200 then I'd be confident enough to say that a single SVS SB-2000 or a BK XXLS400 would wipe the floor with the B&W and even at half the price :)

http://www.hifix.co.uk/speakers/hi-fi-speakers/subwoofers/svs-sb2000-subwoofer-18648
http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XXLS400.htm

I've never heard the ASW825 but I would imagine that being considerably better than the PV1D. Are you limited to certain brands with a certain retailer ? (assuming you are retailer restricted)

Are you swapping it at a retailer or something? What size room are you listening in and how loud do you listen?

I owned a PV1 (original version) a long time ago and while I agree it's a tuneful sub, it doesn't really have any authority at all below 30hz (based on the old PV1). When I upgraded to an SVS PB12+ the price was similar at £920 but that's where the similarities ended.. the PB12+ was about 4 x the size and it bettered the PV1 in every department. My point being that if you're after performance over aesthetics then you could probably do a lot better than what you have now.. I'm sorry to say that (based on my experience with the older model) if a PV1D is £1200 then I'd be confident enough to say that a single SVS SB-2000 or a BK XXLS400 would wipe the floor with the B&W and even at half the price :)

http://www.hifix.co.uk/speakers/hi-fi-speakers/subwoofers/svs-sb2000-subwoofer-18648
http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XXLS400.htm

I've never heard the ASW825 but I would imagine that being considerably better than the PV1D. Are you limited to certain brands with a certain retailer ? (assuming you are retailer restricted)

Been in contact with seller on ebay about trade and money. I had the original pv1 with my mt30. The room currently is 15ft by 12ft but possibly could extend to 15ft by 15-17ft. The reason why i get b&w is as i love the quality and am quite loyal to them as they have never let me down hence why i considered the 825 or 855 and even the db1.

Those subs I've been recommended so many times before with the same reason lol so maybe it might be wise to change this time.

Thanks

I've heard the pv1d and thought that it was dreadful, the xxls400 is a different league entirely as stated above.

I've heard the pv1d and thought that it was dreadful, the xxls400 is a different league entirely as stated above.

I think it might be time to change in considering the SB-13 Ultra or PB-13 Ultra anyone know what's better? If the PB-13 is £300 better? How does it compare to DB1?

Thanks

Keep your eye out for a second hand DB1 I have a xxls400 and believe me that is far superior to most of b&w subs apart from the db1 that is one of the best subs you can buy.

B&W 855 will be a massive upgrade from the PV1D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom