Should I test my new Samsung LCD before Christmas?

D

davidatemybaby

I bought it from Currys and it arrived yesterday. Ideally I'd rather not even see it before Christmas day when I'll also be getting my Xbox 360, its pretty much gonna be the best day ever.

Its all nicely packaed up so I'd love to just leave it until Xmas morning. What do you guys reckon? I see so many threads about faults on here, with just about any make and model of TV, but is it really so common that I should ruin my number 1 Chrimbo present?!

Right now I'm thinking... leave it until Christmas, this is the one place there's bound to be problems reported so just chill!

Any advice would be great guys! :confused:

Oh god yes, test it.
You don't have to do it, just get anyone with a bit of savvy to have a look for you.
The thought of you opening the gear up and it going pear-shaped at Chrimbo is horrible. Most companies will swap within 7 days of purchase, no question, if there is a problem, but you'll be well over that.

Hehe, hmmm. I was thinking that exceeding the 7 days wouldn't matter if the product had a fault, and they'd be extra flexible around Xmas time considering it could be a gift.

You've got me worried now though! Another thing, I don't get my Xbox 360 until Xmas anyway so would a non-HD source such as a DVD player via scart be enough to make sure there weren't any problems? I also don't have a double ended VGA cable to connect to my PC.

Personally, I'd get someone to hook up a basic composite or aerial just to make sure it turns on and there is nothing stupidly wrong.
Having said that, you're correct in saying that any product can have a problem.
If you really want to cover your butt, I guess you could take pics of you opening the box, with the latest newspaper in the shot showing the date.
Of course, that's going a bit far.
And the failure rate nowadays, I'd suggest is miniscule, so I reckon you'll be ok.
I somewhat suspect you're looking for an excuse to get into the kit.
And I don't blame you :D

I don't know how you've held out till now.
Not that I'm encouraging you :rolleyes: :rotfl:
Enjoy Xmas day mate :smashin:

I definitely can't try the Xbox until Christmas day anyway, and judging by what I've heard its the 360 that is most at risk from faults! I may just leave the TV boxed until the 25th.

The main thing is though, would the sales period immediately after Christmas be a tough time to get a replacement sorted? Should I need one?

I suppose if I couldn't get a replacement I could opt for a refund and possibly even save money in the sales...

This decision is starting to really do my head in! I'm the kinda person who likes to savour moments such as the opening of an awesome present on Xmas day!

Test it. Just imagine opening it and plugging it up on Xmas day and it's a turkey - or ask other half to test it.

Test it. Just imagine opening it and plugging it up on Xmas day and it's a turkey - or ask other half to test it.

A turkey ?! Surely if there happens to be something wrong with it then it will be a lemon :D

"If you really want to cover your butt, I guess you could take pics of you opening the box, with the latest newspaper in the shot showing the date"

Doesn't this only work if you travel into the future? Doh, I get it now.

Still haven't opened it! Its sitting right beside me now, the temptation is great but I'm resisting. I have a lot of uni work to do for January too so it may be better to avoid the distraction...

Still haven't opened it! Its sitting right beside me now, the temptation is great but I'm resisting. I have a lot of uni work to do for January too so it may be better to avoid the distraction...

Uni!!!!!!

Remind me to ask my MP to get your grants cut.
You're obviously doing too well :mad: ;)

Unless you're a lecturer, where you're doing really well :smashin: :rolleyes:

Ok you just made me feel like complete and utter crap! I really do worry about spending my loan on stuff like this! :suicide: Maybe its a good thing to put some of the tiny amount of money I get by on into "stuff", at least it can be sold if I get really stuck, if I spent that money on drinking like most students, I wouldn't have that option!

Actually this is a present for Christmas, but way more than I deserve, hence me thinking it ain't gonna work when I open the box! :rolleyes:

Nah, you're worrying too much.
BTW, I was only joking mate, hence the winking smilie :smashin:
Fair play to you, save it for Chrimbo :smashin:

Open it and test it NOW. You have much more customer protection from a set within the 7 days, compared to over that.

TEST IT NOW! i was in the same boat mate really. i bought a samsung 32 inch from currys on thursday, well i didint its a christmass pressie for me and been staring at the box since then, tried it today, its got 7 dead pixels and its going back soon, need to replace it! gutted and soooooooooo happy i tested it after mum screaming at me not too lolol really happy with the telly though, iam gutted and happy at the same time

really test it mate!!!!!!!!!!!!, believe me u have to ( and you should ive used my first ever post to tell you lol)

Bad luck bud, hope you get sorted in time for Christmas. I just had it out in the last half an hour and gave it a quick 10 mins of the Incredibles DVD.

Looks perfect from what I can see! Couldn't spot a single fault.

Are these dead pixels immediately obvious? My PSP had 3 when I got it, never cared much though lol! Suppose its different with something as sexy as this though.

Gonna give it another quick test before I put it away until Christmas! Really do hope you get your TV in time though mate.

Bad luck bud, hope you get sorted in time for Christmas. I just had it out in the last half an hour and gave it a quick 10 mins of the Incredibles DVD.

Looks perfect from what I can see! Couldn't spot a single fault.

Are these dead pixels immediately obvious? My PSP had 3 when I got it, never cared much though lol! Suppose its different with something as sexy as this though.

Gonna give it another quick test before I put it away until Christmas! Really do hope you get your TV in time though mate.

i hope so! my mum phoned up currys and they were very good, they said thell send out a replacment on saturday!

tbh i did notice the dead pixels quite quick one of em was quite big, really though i was kinda being picky and was sitting like 2 feet away lol i got even closer to the telly and counted about 8 of them. i knew if i didnt get a new one though it would just annoy me knowing they are there. currys were fantastic though apart from askin me the serial number which i had to run up and down the stairs like 5 times because i couldnt find it lol i just hope the next one isnt the same or worse, but to get back at them iam gonna keep the remote lolol for a backup if my the remote ever breaks:) mite take the extra cloth too :rolleyes: and yes i am a scoucer lolol

enjoy your telly mate i know i will, iam very happy with what ive seen of it.

one more thing i found odd with my tell is that when i unplugged it the little red light on the front was still on?thanks god im waving bye to that telly!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom