SHould I take the plunge on a Toshiba 36ZP18?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by alexdt, Jul 12, 2002.

1. alexdt

alexdt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am seriously thinking about buying a Toshiba 36ZP18 from an ebay auction, see http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1365178049

I actually went and looked at the set in question as it is located just down the road from me. The (very friendly) seller set the TV up for me with his DVD player attached. I did not notice any strange geometry problems or brightness banding, but the convergence was out over the whole screen. I asked if this was adjustable, and we found out how to access the service menu, but we couldn't figure out how to adjust the convergence.

Looking at all the messages on this forum about the 36ZP18 TV, I am wondering if it is a good idea to pick it up for around £1150. This obviously means that it will come without a warranty, but the seller seems pretty sure I can get a third party warranty for around £40 for a year. Judging by the number of posts on this TV, I am questioning the wisdom of buying this TV.

I wonder if all modern large widescreen TVs had some problems or another, or is this model just particularly bad? I love the pictureframe styling (compact for a 36") and the component video inputs, but I can live without the built in 5.1 decoding as I have my excellent Denon AVC-A1D for that purpose.

I would welcome other TV recommendations.
    My requirements are:
    32 or 36" flat screen
    2x RGB inputs or 1x RGB and 1x Component in
    Quality 100Hz processing, or better still switchable to 50Hz mode
    Straight-edged design (I hate the look of curvy Loewe or Philips models)

Before I decided on the 36ZP18, I was considering the Sony KV-36FS70 (which has the switchable 50/100Hz modes) and the Panasonic TX-36PB50. I also see that Toshiba has released the 32ZD26P TV without any fancy audio capabilities. Does this come in a 36" variant, and if so is it likely to suffer from the same woes as the 36ZP18?

Any comments would be welcome!

AlexDT

2. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes there is a 36ZD26P and so far the 32ZD26P has had no problems. there a few very happy owners on this forum. Check this thread out for some history and good information

Paul

3. gaz_burns

gaz_burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't touch the 36zp18 range if you can avoid it. There are serious geometry issues when the Sets are faced North. Apparently they are asily affected by the Earths magnetic fields, and this can cause a bend from the middle to the left of the screen. If anyone gets this, it can be proven to be a magnetic field issue sby rotating the set 90 degrees from its current position and watch the bend disappear

4. filopastry25

filopastry25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a 36zp18P and my advice would be to avoid it and go for one of the newer tosh 36" models, its a lot of money to spend on a TV with numerous defects.

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can buy one new for £1250 so i wouldn't buy this one.

The TV is a very good set. There have been a high number of lemons but if you avoid one of those, you will be fine.

The set mentioned by the others is worth a look as a first choice option but the ZP is a good fall back option.

6. David A

David A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can you get them for 1250 (need to barclaycard price match!)

Thanks