1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I switch to THX mode for THX certified films?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Sab, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    This might sound silly but it is a simple question.

For the members with THX Ultra / Ultra 2 processors and poweramps: do you turn the processors to THX for a THX certified film e.g. Terminator 2? I know THX is post-processing and intended to sound more like your local Odeon but what are its advantages?

I do not have THX certified speakers and this maybe why I am not getting the best out of THX.

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    It depends.
    Unfortunately the THX logo carries with it a great deal of confusion.

These days, most films on DVD have already undergone EQ to sound more appropraite in the home environment.
    Now I know THX processing does alot more than simply EQ, but the fact that you would be applying EQ to film that has already been EQ'd makes the sound flat and lifeless.

I simply experiment with each film. If it sounds a tad bright then I use THX / THX Ultra2, but most films these days don't need it.
    To add to the confusion, even films that carry the THX logo have often already undergone EQ so you can't use the THX logo as a guide.

Personally, I've found that Terminator 2 is one of the few films that actually do benefit from THX processing.

Its suck it and see really!

3. rbrites

rbrites

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I i guess going the extra mile with the Pioneer 2014 is not worth it i would be better off with the new yamaha 757?? which is a little cheaper?

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Im no a fan of THX post processing. Unless you have an overly bright system or a very harshly recorded disc I think it sucks all the life out of a recording. THX Ultra2 Music was ok as it didnt mess with the HF on the front three and created quite a nice 7.1 experience. But ever since the ability to use PL2x with 5.1 recordings its been made pretty useless in my opinion. I like the way THX master discs but thats about it :)

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'd agree fully with that....I find it just rolls off the top end on overly bright material,but really isn't of use for anything else.

6. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx is a sales gimmick, deadens the sound .LEAVE IT OFF i never use it on my ax10i

7. corvettez06

corvettez06
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THX was made by George Lucas so that you could listen to the movie the way HE wants you to. The problem is THX certified things are only things that he and his THX business has looked at and many things that should be THX certified aren't. Personally I think that THX is a way of getting people to fork out more money on a complete system who is obsessed in having a "perfect" system even though that is totally impossible with audio equipment. A complete THX system might cost you 2000 dollars (sorry I'm talking US dollars but I can't make that L pounds sign!) but a non THX system that sounds the same or better could cost between 1000-1500.

If you have a THX system already, then it's personal preference to whether or not you like the way their sound processing sounds and not really anybody else's opinion unless there's a HUGE reason why to use it or not.

Hope that helps your understanding.

8. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just trust your ears and dont be dictated to by George Lucas. My kit is THX Ultra2 certified and I never switch it on for THX movies. I also dont like what is does to High frequencies.

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    I also have THX kit, but I don't like the effect it has on my system, in my room, at the level I play it.

Now when I tried some M&K speakers and a Tag processor I thought the THX was needed, not sure if it was the speakers, the processor or the room, but in that situation it helped tame a very sharp sound.

10. damenace

damenace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    NO. That's not true. It was developed by a sound engineer that worked for him. And it's been named after him. The idea was to be able to enjoy the movie in any cinema. It was not so much for HT use as for real cinemas. Most of which simply did not have the same standard.
    Nowadays most cinemas and most HTs simply are built to a very high standard and hence you do not need THX anymore. Nowadays it's mainly a gimmick and a sales-pitch.

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I think people are being a little hard on THX here. It was done for good reasons in the pre DVD era when cinema stuff wasn't re mixed. It was DESIGNED to role some of the treble off amongst other things. So those who complain about this, this is one it's functions. It is WORKING. It was however for the laserdisc / video era and is still useful for those that have those needs :) Ultra / ultra 2 take things a little further but they have their place still, even if not for everyone. Try a laserdisc DTS. It is all to easy to forget that DVDs are now mastered for home cinemas, it was not always like that. Home cinema may be new to some but others have had systems since the late 80s era, Maggie and all that.

12. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    Yes but shouldn't THX have moved with the times. DVD has been around for 7-8 years and the ability to switch off re-EQ has been lacking ever since.

Actually thinking about it, this may be the one issue which is costing THX its credibility.
    A schoolboy error on their part I think.

13. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Poor old THX it really does get a battering now a days... :D

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    but what was right 10 years ago for LD is still correct today, just not for DVD.

15. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i saw a program where in Japan the majority of people still have Laser Disc players and that DVD was not as popular and that the only reason they would change would be to move on to the Hi Def stuff ie Blue Ray or HD-DVD so that has to say something about the quality of Laser Disc's... :)

16. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    In total contrast i really like THX. THX-EX is slightly different to DD-EX in that THX-EX uses an algorythm pretty much identical to Pro-logic to extract EX info from Surround L/R. DD-EX (the extended surround mode all non-THX DD amps/pro's etc use) engages a Pro-logic 2 algorwizardry to extract EX info. All be it that some say that it is an actual inprovement? On those few great THX-EX soundtrack (not DD-EX) discs, Star Wars, Toy Story, Fight Club i like to know i am listening to "real" THX-EX as opposed to (anally) "not quite real" DD-EX.
    Always better to have (THX/2 processing) than to have not imho.

17. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I have long been of the opinion that THX processing is simply misunderstood. Remarks of "cutting the top end" are never far away and indeed a common theme.
    All THX is doing, all it will ever do is try, in real time, to replicate the (generically afaik refered to) X-Curve. This is (rather simply put) the accoustically tailored, full bandwidth, frequency response that a THX cinema will be tuned to, all be it by very different means.
    It can do wonders for a crappy rear soundstage in both software and speaker positioning terms.
    I reckon it's quite an elegant piece of software really, always have.

18. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ok Steve.ex Sounds like you know what you're on about so Im gonna put as ide my prejudices and have a relisten to Star wars in THX-EX.

19. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Well i wouldn't say that, but i would say have a read about THX timbre matching, phase decorrelation etc and then you will understand exactly what it is that you are listening to via THX processing.
    Thanks for the heads up all the same.

Regards

Steven

20. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Its simple for me :) regardless of what THX tries to achieve I think that DVDs sound better without it in my opinion.

21. damenace

damenace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    You are all aware that nowadays THX is really quite useless.
    And most of all, you not only need a THX AVR or processor but actually THX speakers. THX is very clear about which speakers to use and I bet that none of you actually have THX speakers or speakers which are even close to complying with THX-norms.

I'm sorry, but nowadays there isn't much that THX actually is good for, except nice THX-Trailers.

22. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Damenace

I would flatter myself on having quite an indepth knowledge of what is required for THX compliance, speaker array and dispersion patterns included thank-you.

23. damenace

damenace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    This was not supposed to sound arrogant. Just wanted to say that THX is simply outdated and hardly anybody complies with the norm anyhow.

24. corvettez06

corvettez06
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Systems 100% without THX sound good, too! :thumbsup:

Whatever you prefer, dude.

25. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You are right that it wasn't just Lucas that put it together, most multichannel audio research and standard settings can be contributed to Tomlinson Holman who helped put together the first 5.1 system and is currently working on THX 10.2 audio in between lecturing on advanced audio systems in the US. I had always wondered if the TH initials had matched the THX monicker, but also thought it came from THX1138 (Lucas' first production - awful unfortunately).

26. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    THX is a set of technical specifications which many speakers,amps,processors etc which are not THX certified meet or exceed with ease.

THX certification in itself is no guarantee of a good sound,nor of a suitable in room set-up,and the latter is probably one of the biggest single causes of poor system performance,when interactions between speakers and rooms are taken into account.

However,to take a bet that "none of you" have systems which are either certified,or exceeds THX's specs would I think be one you might lose.

27. damenace

damenace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Simple. Who here has identical front speakers? Meaning the centre being identical with the fronts?
    I have a centre channel speaker and floorstanders as fronts. Hence, non-compliant.

28. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moi... :D

29. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I think you find many of us do now :) It is the prefered way forward.

30. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    There is a little more to it than the front 3 merely being identical.