Should I swap my Panny TX28PB50 for a Philips 28PW9617 ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Orson, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    I have a dodgy Panasonic TX28PB50, which the supplier has agreed is faulty. They have already swapped it once. They have offered me a refund, or I can pay £ 50 & have a Philips 28PW9617. They don't want to swap the set for another PB50, as they think they will all have the same problems.

Any opinions?

One thing I need to consider is that I live in a poor signal area for terrestrial TV - does anyone have any theories/information of whether the Philips will help or hinder this (pixel+ etc).

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm a very happy 32" 9617 owner. I live in the S.Wales valleys.... terrestrial is pretty poor here. The TVs tuner did an admirable job, finding all stations and sorting them properly. Although I have Sky, terrestrial is good to have when taping a programme on sky. I must say that Pixel+ does a good job with analogue... making the pictures look much better. Obviously demo the set first, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with its picture quality. Just see a DVD in pixel+ and you will be amazed.

Good luck whatever you decide.

3. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    I have the 28PW9616, won it at a dabs auction for 701 quid, and so far I am very happy with it. although I wouldnt of minded the Pixel+ from the 17 model.

I salivated when I seen the specs of the Panny PB50, built in DTS!

what was your problem with it?

also remember u will lose picture in picture ability.

But if you really cant get the PB50 workin right, the 9617 should be an excellent replacement.

4. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670

I’m on my second PB50 – The first had a perfect geometry picture, but the problem was when viewing Picture and Picture side by side, with both pictures showing the same channel, there was a very noticeable difference in quality, with the picture from the secondary tuner far superior to the primary tuner, & there was no way to swap them over. Although this wasn’t a big problem, it niggled me a bit, & I started to think that the primary tuner might be faulty, as I had to have colour almost at max to get a half-decent picture. So I phoned the retailer, who sent a couple of engineers & then said that there was a fault, & they would swap it, so I agreed. The second set has the same problem, only worse :mad:, & also has really bad geometry – so bad even the wife noticed :mad::mad: !! The retailer sent ‘an expert engineer’ who said almost all widescreen TV’s have geometry problems, & he had a PB50 in his shop much worse than mine. When I told him I’d had one with excellent geometry, he didn’t believe me. So I suppose it’s my fault for complaining about something unimportant in the first place – It’s just that I thought that I might be wearing it out quicker or something by having the colour at max all the time. As for losing Picture & Picture, I don’t mind, but I do use Picture & Text a lot.
    As for the sound quality of the PB50, it wasn’t a requirement to have DTS etc when I bought it (I thought Nicam would be OK), but that was the most surprising & impressive aspect of the TV – I thought it incredibly good (but I’m no purist or expert) – I believe that the Philips 9617 has DTS and Picture & Text. I had a look at one this weekend & the picture looked OK, unfortunately in the shop they couldn’t find the remote control or the manual so I couldn’t have a play :rolleyes:

This was a worry, that it may go horribly wrong with a poor signal - this is the reason I didn't buy a digital TV

Thanks for the replies

5. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    the philips 9617 is dd5.1 not dts

6. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGHHHHH !!

Thanks for the info Ironduke.

Seems I was given some duff info in the shop (surprise surprise) about DTS on the Philips - Although on the blurb I'd seen, Philips did refer to the sound as 'digital' as opposed to Dolby Digital 5.1 - are they being vague ? :(

Anyway, after a bit more digging around, although I've been mighty impressed with the sound on the Panny, I think it's unlikley that I've heard anything using DTS - I watch analogue TV (no Sky), I've watched half a dozen each DVD's & VCD's, and several pre-recorded Video's. I'm a bit of a newbie, and my understanding is (please feel free to correct, & excuse me for stating the obvious :rolleyes: ) you don't get DTS broadcasts from analogue broadcasts, VCD's or Video Tapes, & very few DVD's currently have DTS features, but this will increase. Therefore, If I've thought the sound on the Panny good, I'ts been in Nicam, or at best DD5.1.
    If i'm wrong on the above, please let me know, as otherwise, I think the Philips will be OK with DD5.1, & thats the way I'll go.

Thanks.......

7. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Orson, you're right, it's impossible to obtain DTS signals from an analogue source. In the UK, the only time we get DTS is from certain DVDs. Purists will argue that DTS is superior to Dolby Digital 5.1 and they are correct... Dolby Digital is encoded in a compressed format and this leads to a reduction in quality. Bear in mind that even in cinemas Dolby 5.1 is still the most commonly used format and to my mind that's good enough for me! Go with the Philips :cool:

8. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    Put it one way Playing the Shower Scene (oooerrrrr missus) from the rock in Dolby Digital 5.1 simply Rocks on my 9616, so I doubt it would be a huge leap in DTS.

9. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Decision made - the Philips 9617 will be on it's way to me in a few days time.

Ironduke, Iv'e decided to follow your lead, and am now searching for as many films with shower scenes as I can find :eek:

10. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    I think you had better keep away from the zoom function:p

or you may go blind!

and what use would a kick ass TV be then?