• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Should I swap my center?

J40NYR

I've recently put up a post about my cinema sounding quiet...when I turn the volume down everything is still audible apart from the speaker,

My setup is:
B&W 685S2 (Front) Sens 87dB
Center HTM62 sens 85rdB
B&W 685 sens 88dB
B&W ASW608
Denon AVR X2000 (95w - 8 Ohms 2ch)

I'm thinking the center speaker is too low sensitivity wise compared with the rest of the setup as it is set at +3dB as the rest of the setup varies from -2 to -8 and it's still quiet.

Other suggestions on the other thread were that upgrading the AVR to something with a larger power supply (current is 500w) would help...but my mind is swimming with all this info as some people spend £1500 on an AVR to power this setup and others £200, not really sure what the right answer is?

The new HTM62 S2 center is rated at 88dB which I though might solve the center issue but it's more money again! haha

Thanks

Jonny

CableGuy

Hi Lotusmad,

I have the HTM62 and don't find any issues with volume, at any listening level. I use a Sony STR-DN1050 (165w p/channel) and, using auto calibration, the Center is set to approx +3 db in my room. L/R auto calibrated to +-0.
I previously had a Denon AVR1910 rated at 90w p/c and also found the Center to be clear and in keeping with the other speakers at any given volume.

J40NYR

thanks for your reply :)

oh ok, what other speakers do you have? I was going to go for the sony AVR but it was too tall!

Gonna try using the auddysey set up with a proper stand and more locations and see what that does

CableGuy

Hi Jonny.
I have the following:
- Front B&W 684 (60hz)
- Center B&W HTM62 (100hz)
- Surround B&W DS3 (100hz)
- Surround back B&W M1 (100hz)
- Subwoofers B&W ASW610 x2
I have put my crossover settings next to each channel. All of my speakers are S1 rather than S2.

J40NYR

Nice setup!:)

hmmm my cross overs are all at 80 I might give 100hz on the center a go :)

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Where is your centre positioned?
Is it in or on a cabinet? If so this is not ideal and could account for some sound issues.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom