1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I swap my 434 for a Panny 6?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Diapason, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hello all,

I was talking to my hifi/AV dealer the other day and we were discussing the new Pio plasma TVs. He has yet to see one, but like the rest of us has seen the reviews and heard anecdotal evidence that the 435s aren't as good as the 434s. While obviously not subscribing to this view site unseen, he mentioned that people are a little wary of ordering the newer model, but that they will very soon be out of stock of the older one. I said, half joking, that if he knew of anyone who really wanted a 434, I could sell them mine (via the shop) and buy a Panny instead. He said that if I decided to do that, their pricing is much more competitive on the Panny than the Pio, and that I could get an SD Panny 6 with component board and probably make about 2 grand (Euro) in the process.

Pricing in Ireland has always been a bit behind the UK (what else is new) and when I bought the plasma new (nearly a year ago) there wasn't anything like this kind of difference. Now, I'm quite intrigued by the prospect of getting a new plasma, and I must admit that at times I prefer the whole blacker blacks aspect of the Panny. I don't use a lot of the functionality of the Pio (i.e. the standard analogue tuner, PIP stuff, all that). However, I do like the slightly more film-like quality of the picture on the Pio (I always thought a Panny had more the look of a CRT picture about it), I prefer how the Pio physically looks on the wall, and at the moment I'm using the HDMI input (although the Yamakawa outputs DVI and isn't hindered by HDCP and all that -- of course, it's not exactly a state-of-the-art player!!)

So, would you be tempted if you were in my shoes?

Si

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I'd ignore the cash difference and make sure I got a 42PHD (XGA res)!!!

3. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Actually, I meant to refer to that. The kicker is that the XGA res is ridiculously expensive over here, at least according to the self same dealer. To be fair, I didn't get him to check it and there may have been a misunderstanding, but he said last time he did one it was order of 10,000 Euro :eek: That doesn't compare very favourably with the 3,400 Euro for the SD...

Si