1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I stick with Sony?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nickelks, Feb 8, 2002.

Tags:
  1. nickelks

nickelks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have Sony TV (4:3 format KV), Sony NS400D DVD player and am now considering buying AV amp/receiver. Should I stick with Sony? Have my eye on STR-DE475 which seems reasonable spec for my budget (£300 inc speakers). Should I also go for Sony speakers? (HTK-475 comprises STR-DE475 and SAVE-225 Pascal (?) speakers). Is there anywhere in or around Northampton that I can get good impartial advice?

2. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was considering the HTK475 just before Christmas and my mind was soon changed when I heard and read the reports on the Yamaha HTIB40. I think the Sony Receiver is quite good but the speakers aren't. Have a look at this spackage. I am sure you won't be disappointed. Don't think the Yammy comes in silver though unlike the Sony. You can get the Yamaha package for less than £400 (www.hispek.com) as well on the web. I can't help you with where you can go and test some bits as I'm down South. Good Luck.

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony speakers are not know for their quality. The amps aren't bad though.

Sony seem to focus more on looks rather than content nowadays.

4. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't really consider the sony speakers, have a look around, the new mission m series are a good and cost effective choice.

5. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree Sony Speakers do not have any sort of reputation.

I would audition some amp/speaker combinations. I have Sony TV and Sony DVD but thats all. Learning remotes get around any remote clutter issues.

Nick there is a Hi Fi shop in Willen Lake shopping area in MK (Jn14)which isnt far from Northampton.

Bit further afield is the AudioFile in Bishops stortford which is excellent. They may also have a shop in Cambridge. www.audiofile.co.uk

Sevenoaks are all over the place. Also a couple further down the M1 in St Albans
    Rog

6. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Sony HTK-375 is a really good budget system. When I heard it, I found that the subwoofer sounded really good. Although the satellite speakers are slightly lacking, you would not notice this in a small room.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think i'll lose my cherry and post for the first time! :)

I have the HTk215 and have to say i'm really happy with it - good flexible amp + a good active sub and i have to say i don't think that the speakers lack anything at all (for the money anway)!

8. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    if its a TV, do a Jamie.
    Otherwise ??????

9. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'll agree witht he comment made on Mission Ms, nothing in the price bracket even gets close.

10. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO getting the same brand is important for convienence.

I have all Sony gear and being able to use similar remotes layouts, functions layouts ect and important (especially for the wife who isn't as interested in learning every function).

Also Sony have a daisy chain function in many of their seperates which links them all together (called Control A1).

If your spending 300 on the reciever than get a 1070 from Richer Sounds. It is QS series and is awesome compared to a STRDE475.

BTW - Many people will dismiss Sony speakers because of tall poppy syndrome and because they want the crazy amount they've spent on their speakers to be justified. Most of the time theres 2% difference betweem quality in the major brands. IMO

11. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is the Sony STR-DB1070 available only in Black at Richer Sounds for £300?

12. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Just on the HTK 475.

I have one now for about 3 months. Very happy with it.

As everyone says it does look nice in silver and the speaker package is tidy. Watched twister on Saturday in dolby digital and turned the volume just over half way up. It sounded amazing. Neighbours must have thought there was a hurricane next door.

It really does fill my room with sound to good effect. The room is about 15ft by 10 ft. I guess it depends what your after. I don't think you'll be dissaponted with the system at the money.

Mick

13. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I used to have a Sony HTK system, then I demoed the Mission 70's, the difference was more like 200% than 2%. In the end I spent a little more money and went for the Cinema 72 package. My wife thought I had wasted our money, so I set the new ones up without taking the Sony's out and flicked between the two. The look on her face was priceless, the difference was huge!

A guy at work brought the Sony system because it matched his DVD, TV and VCR, despite being present at the test and admiting it sounded crap in comparision, the look was more important to him.

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Mick,

Thanks for the reminder. The last time I watched Twister it was in Pro Logic on video and it sounded pretty good then.

I must re-aquaint myself with the flying cows on DVD