1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Sell Q400 for Servo 15

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GJC, Mar 1, 2002.

1. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Should I sell my Rel Q400 for a Paradigm Servo 15?

I know I should audition one before buying, however, I would like some opinions from everyday (H.C. users). The reviews I have read about, all praise it.

I dont know whether I am getting the best from my Q400 and was wondering whether I would achieve more Impact from a Servo 15. My Q doesnt give me the whack in the chest sensation that I am after from a Sub.

I have a 13ft by 14ft room, this sub is in the corner facing inwards.
    Its connected via the Neutrik lead as I dont have a long enough RCA for the LFE Output.

The sub is connected to a Power Amp which is connected to my Denon AVR-1700 Main Preouts. I get better sound quality from the Power Amp for Music this way.

I use B&W 303 Mains, - I am planning on upgrading these to the S3 Range - Main + Rears & Centres.

I mainly use my system for listening to music as I saving for the extra speakers & a new amp. I am slowley & painfully upgrading.

Any views would be appreciated.

:D

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have heard neither, but have been for ages meant to upgrade my sub. Too many other things get in the way.:rolleyes: But I have been asking around and followed all the old discussions on the merits of the Servo. Search for them in the speakers forum, and you'll come across some really in depth posts. Use Servo as the key word and you'll be deluged with info.

Even if space is at a premium, the Servo route is best from past chats in the forum.

Talk to Nic, Steve.EX and Uncle Eric to name a few for the best advice on that one.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    General,

Why do you want to upgrade your sub ?

I have the same as you and find that it is brilliant despite only having a notional 40 watt amp but somehow I think that when REL designed these amps they made 40 watts do what other manufacturers needed four times the power to do.

I will also be selling mine shortly but only because we have moved to a smaller house and I want something a bit smaller. If I can find something small and suitable I may even buy two but they will have to go somewhat to beat the original Q Bass.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Upgrade because I can..............:D
    I did actually want two Q Bass subs, one went a few months back for £100, the one recently was £150 slightly marked. But if you 'may' be selling yours in the near future then definately give me a call. I would be very interested indeed at £100!
    I too think the Q Bass is a brilliant sub for it's size/cost/power etc. It's just that one Servo is at least as good as two of these, that's all.
    I thoroughly read reviews about two Q40/50's vrs one big boy, and they held up well.
    I looked at the DIY route too. There is a lot of choice.
    The Servo is a stormer by all accounts. I like to storm.:D

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes.

6. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    IMHO opinion i simply cannot understand why people hum and har over this, if you have less than £1000 to spend on a sub then the ONLY reason i can think of to NOT buy the Servo is simply down to a size issue.
    I have owned 5 brands of Sub's (including a pair of Rel Storm's) and have given close scrutiny to many many more and again based on H\C requirements IMHO the Servo makes the Rel look/sound like a bass reinforcement unit rather than a sub-bass unit:
    The servo drops a least 12hz lower than the storm quoted at 18hz-6db i could get nothing out of it below about 25hz the Servo went clean to 15hz in a smallish room and was vastly tighter with a far far better crossover slope.

I will elaborate further if required but don't have the time right now.
    Sorry.

SteveEX

7. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I going to read some more threads but given that my room is 13ft by14ft would the Servo 15 be too large in all respects?

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Do I really need to say anything? Just demo it and you know what everyone means.:D

9. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Nic, can you stop telling us how great the Servo 15 is, please. I've had the tape measure out trying to judge how a 53 X 46 X 56cm black, wooden box would look in the corner of my living room and I don't think I can hold myself back much longer :mad:.

In fact, if it wasn't for the threat of ongoing "voluntary" redundancies at work then I would probably be at Richer now...

Of course, getting a sub means I should probably get 3 decent quality "monitors" to replace my floor-standers...

Cheers,
    Liam

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Liam

I hardly said a thing.:D Anyway blame Ramius he put me on to it.

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Liam

to add to my previous short post. I have hardly written about Servo15 in months. The recent REL terfuge post I deliberately did NOT mention the S15 originally but talked in general terms, it was brought up by other commenting on my current set up. I commented on what I consider makes a good sub and what REL should do in order to make a great 'lifestyle' sub.

For the record I don't think the Servo15 is the ideal sub. I would willingly compromise a little and get a smaller box. The Q400 is a lovely size IMHO however as it stands it doesn't have the performance. A pait of Q400 size units running with motional feed back system could be a killer in my book. The sheer bulk of the S15 will rule it out for many in the UK, which is a shame but something that has been acknowledge by all since the word dot.

Paradigm actually make the S15 in some lovely wooden finishes as well but non seem to make their way to the UK via Richer Sounds. You can have any colour so long as it is black. This I feel is a pity as real wood may help to tone down the 'big black box syndrome' the S15 currently has. However having said all that there are few subs I have heard that are better, the killer here is the stupid price. The rest are telephone number prices.

Please don't blame me just because it is so damn good for such little money. I am just trying as ever to get people the best value for their money and there are now loads of satisfied owners out there. I had huge problems with getting two S15 originally (RS see the posts) but I am glad I perciveered.:)

As with anything in life you need to know the limitations of the equipment. I feel this is why Uncle Eric seems to get such great performance from his Q100s. He understands their limitations and doesn't push them too far out of their operating envelope.

12. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I did notice on Paradigm's web site that they come in a few other colours - I also read some reviews that praised some of the active monitors they produce. Do you know if Richer sell any of those?

I'm sure you realise I wasn't "blaming" you for anything ;). It's great to get "heads-up" on products like this from the forum as well as good, technical information and healthy debate. Do you know what policy Richer have for home demo of kit? My usual dealer has let me take REL Storm II & Strata III home no problem, but presumably that's because I have bought plenty of stuff from him.

Not sure if I will actually try one out - like I say, now isn't the best time to be buying things :(.

Cheers,
    Liam

13. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Liam,

Richer sounds offer a 14 day money back guarantee, so if it doesn't fit take it back. I'm sure after using one you'll fine a space for it somehow :D

Rob.

14. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Thanks for the info, Rob [out of interest, are you the same Rob from Norwich or Norfolk I met at The Event?].

Hmm, might have a bit of difficulty getting it in the back of my Puma, mind! Still, I know someone with a Focus Estate...

Cheers,
    Liam

15. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Liam,

Yes, the very same. Could you not put a roof rack on the Puma? Make sure its secure though. :D

16. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    What, spoil its looks with a roof-rack - never :eek:.

Or did you mean a roof-rack on the Servo 15 and put the Puma on top of that?

Cheers,
    Liam

17. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    That would probably be the best idea :D

Rob.

18. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    And there was me thinking all this time that it was just a common or garden kitten.

19. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you need to try this sub with the LFE to the low level i/p before you do anything hasty.

I assume you have SUbwoofer = NO and Front Speakers set to Large, otherwise you will just be losing the LFE channel completely,. Even if you have I'm not convinced that many amps direct the LFE to the front speakers very well anyway.

For the sake of a £20 lead you may be ditching a very good product for a Big, ugly and sonically Inferior (IMO) product.

20. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    ------

I am going to get a lead today. I will adjust the Amp settings and hopefully rattle some units!!:D