Should I sell my XBOX 360?

• Thread starter Deleted member 52097
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 52097

Hi, I haven't posted this in the XBOX 360 forum since it relates to PS3 and I would like a more unbiased opinion.

I have an XBOX 360, owned it for the last 8 months with XBOX Live. it's currently connected to a 19" widescreen LCD and after even having played Gears of War I didn't find it great and not that excited about most of the games coming out on the system. I'm tired of first person shooters such as Halo and war games, they simply don't appeal to me anymore. I don't like Splinter Cell games, more into MGS style. The only games I'm looking forward to Earth Defence Force and Blue Dragon. I'm not even sure I want to play Blue Dragon since it based on cuddly toy anime style.

I know the PS3 has received a negative reception but it just looks like it can do so much more than an XBOX 360. With my original chipped XBOX I only played games occasionally such as the Grand theft auto games and most of the time used it for XBOX Media Centre. Now I feel the XBOX 360 is severely limited in what it can do, no media streaming from my NAS storage and no support for MPG2 or divx.

On the other hand the PS3 looks tempting, the Virtua Fighter 5 exlusive looks set to be great and MGS4 also looks promising. It has the backing of most Japanese developers. What really catches my interest is the support for Linux and the for Blu-ray. It just seems with Linux I'll be able to stream media from my NAS drives and play emulators which would be great when I'm not in the mood for playing PS3 games.

The XBOX 360 just seems so restricted with what you can do with it outside of playing games and it looks like Microsoft have to go begging throwing around large amounts of money to get Japanese developers to sign up to their platform. Am I being to harsh? Should I just sell my XBOX 360 and buy a PS3 or is there life in the XBOX 360?

Look what ever you do just go and do it!

I dont have a 360 or a ps3. I have a old xbox and I dont play games that much these days. So not a fanboy!

I have played both systems and they both have good and bad points.

Remember some of your points could change in a software update!

Look if you decide you want rid of it sell it and do it soon as after xmas the price will drop due to some people wanting a ps3 and getting rid of the 'old' 360.

yes you should sell it ! to me cheap as the mrs mum n dad want one ;)

pm me ill take it for £200 inc everything :devil:

From what i've seen there isn't much that makes me want to buy a PS3 at the moment or in the foreseable future (apart from as to have a Blu Ray player and being able to play the seemingly now limited Playstation exclusives).

Personally the 360 is the choice if you are looking at one or the other, I just don't see what the PS3 can really offer at the moment that the 360 can not. Console generations last a while though (usually 5 years or so) so that may well (and probably will) change.

From the sound of your post though it plainly seems that you vastly prefer the PS3 and unbiased posts from myself of anyone else won't really change that. It seems more like you have just posted to spout a load of pro PS3 stuff.

At the end of the day we all make our own choices (my choice is to buy them all as I just love games) and from the sound of your post your decision is made.

Sorry if I offended you, Cas. I can understand why people enjoy the XBOX 360, it's not a bad console but the point is I don't devote that much time to gaming (and when I do play games there's only a few titles I usually enjoy).

With the original XBOX, I played games on it for the first 6 months, got bored so got it chipped and then used it mostly for XBOX Media Centre, only playing a few games every so often that I really enjoyed. However, the XBOX 360 can only play DVD's and it can't stream my media from my NAS drives, it just seems very limited for this reason. This is a reason for considering the PS3 as an alternative since it won't be gathering dust when I'm not playing the few games I would enjoy (VF5 & MGS 4).

Sorry if I offended you, Cas. I can understand why people enjoy the XBOX 360, it's not a bad console but the point is I don't devote that much time to gaming (and when I do play games there's only a few titles I usually enjoy).

With the original XBOX, I played games on it for the first 6 months, got bored so got it chipped and then used it mostly for XBOX Media Centre, only playing a few games every so often that I really enjoyed. However, the XBOX 360 can only play DVD's and it can't stream my media from my NAS drives, it just seems very limited for this reason. This is a reason for considering the PS3 as an alternative since it won't be gathering dust when I'm not playing the few games I would enjoy (VF5 & MGS 4).

It didn't offend me, it was just that you do seem to have made up your mind from reading your post, which is what counts at the end of the day. If you feel that the PS3 is for you and that the 360 doesn't offer what you need then that's really all that should concern you. Other people's views don't really come into it to be fair (no matter how unbiased).

If you want a device that streams media from NAS drives and if the 360 doesn't do that, then it's simply not suitable and you would therefore be better off with a device that does what you need (i.e. the PS3).

On the other hand the PS3 looks tempting, the Virtua Fighter 5 exlusive looks set to be great and MGS4 also looks promising. It has the backing of most Japanese developers. What really catches my interest is the support for Linux and the for Blu-ray. It just seems with Linux I'll be able to stream media from my NAS drives and play emulators which would be great when I'm not in the mood for playing PS3 games.

I don't play many games either and only ever multiplayer games, but I find the 360 used as a media centre pretty good (has a few issues but I won't go into it here), and definatly get's used more than my chipped xbox running xbmc ever did.

Maybe your best bet is to sell the 360 and save the money for the day the PS3 starts to get the software you want developed for it (unless you are going to do the dev work yourself), I assume it won't be too long before theres a Linux PS3 port of XBMC. Don't forget that MS recently released the XNA dev kits for people to develop their own software, not sure what it's capable of but maybe worth bearing in mind.

Hope that helps.

Slingshot

Depends what suits you. Tbh, the only things that interest me about the PS3 are BD and Linux. All of the decent games on the console seem to be far off, however the only ones that genuinely interest me are MGS4 and Heavenly Sword.

The 360 has some good games on it, notably Gears of War recently. But I do agree to a point that there is not that much on the horizon (apart from Halo 3 and Bioshock) for the 360 either!

I think you just have to see if the console is doing what you ask of it, if it is not just sell it.

From the sounds of it you are most bothered about the media centre functionality. Given the high price and low availability of the PS3 I would probably keep hold of my 360 and see what happens between now and when you can get hold of a PS3. There is every chance that either MS will cave in and offer the functionality that everyone wants, or someone else will do it for you ;) .

Hanging on may cost you £50 in used value but you could minimise that by flogging any games you don't want ASAP for all the chrimbo 360 newbies. The real alternative would be to build or buy a media centre PC. That way you can always have a project on the go for when you are bored of the games.

Games wise you will probably find you get just as bored of the new ones on the PS3. I don't think any of the new consoles have a very inspiring line up. This is probably because nearly all games being fed serious money are play-it-safe rehashes of old ideas. Maybe a Wii or a DS could be just the change you are looking for but probably not.

But I do agree to a point that there is not that much on the horizon (apart from Halo 3 and Bioshock) for the 360 either!

Well there is...

Forza 2
Mass Effect
Assassins Creed
Lost Planet
Crackdown
Alan Wake
GTA4

as well. I think the days of there not being a constant stream of good games on any system is gone now - there's just too much money to be made. I guess that Christmas will always be the time when the most games are released but there doesn't seem to be the drouts that there used to be.

Not much on the Horizon for the 360?

WHAT :eek:

360 has so many games comming out in 2007. Wish i could say the same for PS3 and Wii

Well there is...

Forza 2
Mass Effect
Assassins Creed
Lost Planet
Crackdown
Alan Wake
GTA4

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry to come across as ungrateful but the only game on that list I'm looking forward to is GTA4. My 360 is packed away in the cupboard at the moment. I'll give it another few months and see how things go. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry to come across as ungrateful but the only game on that list I'm looking forward to is GTA4. My 360 is packed away in the cupboard at the moment. I'll give it another few months and see how things go. :)

Personally it's the one i'm least looking forward to - the GTA games are great but just not my cup of tea. Then again that's personal preference for you. I love my driving and sports games so Forza 2 is the game i'm most looking forward to there.

Personally it's the one i'm least looking forward to - the GTA games are great but just not my cup of tea. Then again that's personal preference for you. I love my driving and sports games so Forza 2 is the game i'm most looking forward to there.

GTA is great you get to run around and kill people.:thumbsup:

GTA is great you get to run around and kill people.:thumbsup:

GTA and Crackdown are the only games on that list I am not the least bit interested in.

I have played previous GTA's and absolutely hated them with a passion.

Maybe it's my age or something but killing people just does nothing for me, and that is all the GTA style games are about. Most GTA fans will tell you they love nothing more than running around the game world killing people, I can't think of anything more boring! :boring:

Now Alan Wake or Forza 2, they are games I'm looking forward to. :thumbsup:

Back on topic tvuser, I have considered selling my 360 (again) to fund a PS3 also. My main gripe with the 360 is the noise it makes but also the lack of japan developed titles, I have always liked japanese style games more than endless WW2 or Sci-fi shooters.

But I came to the conclusion that I would be better keeping the 360 until the PS3 is released and making a decision then. By that time the 360 will have some more titles and we will know more about the PS3's online functionality.

Sit tight and wait I think mate.

Well there is...

Forza 2
Mass Effect
Assassins Creed
Lost Planet
Crackdown
Alan Wake
GTA4

Cheers Cas, forgot about Mass Effect, Assasins Creed and Lost Planet - these games in addition to the ones I mentioned before should be AAA.

Ive had two (because i got them dirt cheap) really dont like them. I love the xbox and have 400+games but the 360 is more like an Xbox 1.5 . Its got nothing that will blow you away, and nothing even remotely original (at the time it didnt, viva pinata's out now which I havent played)

I want a wii now, the ps3 is overpriced and I hate sony for forcing ANOTHER of their ****** proprietary formats on the world. I hope bluray suffers the same horrible death that the Betamax and UMD's had.

Merry christmas ! :clap:

Its got nothing that will blow you away, and nothing even remotely original (at the time it didnt, viva pinata's out now which I havent played)

Maybe that's true so far, but the 360 has got some very polished titles that look absolutely superb on my plasma. I've been playing through Gears of War on local co-op and it is a blast - great graphics; gameplay and 5.1 sound.

Yes, it hasn't delivered anything new so far but it is damn good fun, isn't that what gaming is all about?

Maybe that's true so far, but the 360 has got some very polished titles that look absolutely superb on my plasma. I've been playing through Gears of War on local co-op and it is a blast - great graphics; gameplay and 5.1 sound.

Yes, it hasn't delivered anything new so far but it is damn good fun, isn't that what gaming is all about?

Agreed, I enjoy both the 360 and the Wii and will most likely enjoy the PS3 as well (sorry if that goes against the grain on here, I know that I really should love one, hate the others and spend most of my time arguing why one is the best, but I just don't!).

I guess the bottom line is this. If you enjoy your console then keep it, if not then sell it, other people's views are really only relevant to them in this case.:)

I sold mine recently to part fund building a high end gaming pc and i don't regret it one bit, i was taken by it for a while but it was soon gathering dust even when i bought Gears of War.

Assasins creed and Lost Planet do look stunning but i suspect both are pc bound

The last line in Cas Fans last post sums it up rearlly

do what you have to do, sell it now before the inevitable price drop :eek:

The last line in Cas Fans last post sums it up rearlly

do what you have to do, sell it now before the inevitable price drop :eek:

Having seen a preview of Blue Dragon on the last episode of the1upshow I've changed my mind, the game looks amazing, definitely keeping even if it's just for one game.:)

I'm looking forward to Blue Dragon too. Some say it looks too kiddie but I personally can't wait - there does seem to be a lack of decent RPG's on the 360!

Blue Dragon looks amazing. Potentially a real Zelda/FF killer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom