Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Should I sell my Pioneer Ax5i to buy a Denon 3805?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Lobo, Aug 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I recently picked up a brand new Pioneer Ax5i-S for £500. I am currently using it to power the following:

Kef Q7
    Kef 200C
    REL Strata 5
    (more speakers to be purchased shortly)

I am still looking for a DVD player with DVI/HDMI out and prefferably ilink out to take full advantage of the amplifier.

However, I have just been offered a Denon 3805 and 3910 for £1100. They are 7 months old and in mint condition.

If I was to take advantage of this, I think I could sell the Pioneer for what I bought it for.

My question is, is it worth paying an extra £600 for the kit I mentioned. Would I be better off spending less on a decent DVD player to add to the Pioneer amp or is the Denon combination much better than the Pioneer I have?

I will use it for 50% music and 50% movies.

2. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    In a nutshell no :)

The Pioneer and the Denon are both excellent amps. I have had both and couldnt fault either. They do sound different but I wouldnt say one sounded better than the other, just different. I find the Denon has a warmer sound whilst the Pioneer is a more crisper sound.

I definatley wouldnt change to a Denon just for the hell of it (even though I did and back again :rolleyes: ).

As for a DVD player why not wait a couple of months and get the Pioneer 969 and use the iLink on that:thumbsup:

Hope this helps.

3. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct me somebody if i'm wrong but don't both the 3910 and 3805 have Denonlink? It may be pedantic but I think that type of connection might be worth swopping your pioneer for as well as the HDMI interface on the 3910. I have heard and read that Denonlink is a bit better than I- link (higher bandwidth). 2 birds with one proverbial stone I guess. Again, just my opinion

Skinny

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    It does strike me as a Denon Link now or I-Link at some point in the future type of question. Also it seems to balance the known issues of the Denon setup with the unknowns of a future player. I would say demo the Denon setup and if you like, buy.

5. KennyH

KennyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Lobo,

Where did you buy the AX5i-S for £500 and was it on-line???

Thanks

Kenny

6. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The Pioneer 868 and new 969 both have i-link and HDMI so could be utilised also. I have connected my setup like this and couldnt honestly tell the difference sonically. The Denon link might be better. But IF it is, would it be THAT much better to warrant changing (loseing money). IMHO no.

Like I said earlier IMO neither amps are sonically better, just different. Might be worth mentioning that the Pioneer also is THX, not that I ever used it :)

I have a 3-4 week old 3805 that I will be selling very soon and its replacement is going to be the Pioneer AX4 :D

7. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    keep the ax5i, i have that and an ax10i and the ax5i is very very close to the ax10i, and i can't hear any difference with the i-link and the optical link

8. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I got the Pioneer from my local Sevenoaks, brand new. I think they were trying to shift it because it is now an outdated model.

I think the best bet for me is to keep the Pioneer and go for an 868 Pioneer DVD player to make use of the i-link feature. I understand this is still a highly rated DVD player, even next to the 3910.

However, in comparison to the 3910, in terms of music, how do you think the Pioneer amp/DVD combo would compare?

9. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i wouldn't buy the 868i just for the i-link feature, as i said i have this player, and the i-link makes no difference at all, it is just a gimmick. i recently bought the 868i expecting great things and was dissapointed, the feature of the 868i is the hdmi link(and it won't work through my dvi-d input) so keep your money, concentrate on the speakers they make more of a difference than anything. and sacd through the 868i is horrible. arcam cd92 i have is far more natural give me an e-mail and i will send you some photos, grahampeck999@msn.com

10. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    buy a dedicated cd player DON'T USE A DVD PLAYER AS A CD PLAYER as i said i have spent a fortune on my system and i feel it has been a waste of money, i may go back to good old stereo, if you can use the hdmi link then go for the 868i otherwise buy an arcam , good luck

11. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or good old vinyl now that is the best there is far better than cd for music

12. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just you're opinion or proven fact??? :rolleyes:

13. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a michell gyro deck with sme series v arm and believe me it sounds in a different league to my arcam cd92 player, much more realistic, sounds as though the person is singing right in front of you, switch over to cd and it is far to bright and hard sounding and forward sounding. it's as though the music is being forced upon you. but it sounds dreadful on sacd far far to bright

14. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for real quality sounds you must have a vinyl front end, if you are serious about your music that is, cd is ok for back ground music, but when it comes to a serious listen in the evening the cd player doen't even get a look in, and record players look so good when in operation, i buy my music on vinyl every time i can. u should try it sometime
    my system pioneer dv868avi
    pioneer vsa-ax10is
    arcam cd92
    michell gyro deck ,sme series v arm, denon dl304 cartridge( trichod dino phono stage)
    canton floorstanding speakers for front, canton center and quad 11's on the rear

15. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tried all the cyrus range(used to live next an audio-t) was not impressed with any of it, to dull sounding, there is a lot of hype in the hifi industry u should never read magazines they talk a lot of crap.

16. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what u need to remember with a good system, u must feed it a good signal ,the amp and speakers only play second fiddle to the source, that is why i spent £5000 on a good front end i.e the record deck.

17. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    ah 80s audiophilia ;) DVDs can sound great as well,as can CDs and vinyl, comparing a now £499 universal player with a more expensive CD only player or a MUCH more expensive vinyl front end is hardly a fair comparison. When you put something like an ARCAM DV29, Toshiba 9500 or Tag in comparison with a baby Mitchel deck, the results are far from clear cut.

Getting the Denon is a sideways move. Don't bother.

18. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    never. i have tried the linn cd12 cd player(from audio-t) and the vinyl still sounds better by far. and that is a 12 grand cd player, and top of the range naim cd player. and again my deck still sounds better, i even have an old rega 3 and that still out performs my arcam cd player by miles, in fact i will go as far as to say a rega 3 will out perform ANY cd player, at any price. i have listened to most things over the last 20 years ,through audio-t, and my conclusion is if you want the best sound possible vinyl always wins i'm affraid. my friend(who is a private hi fi dealer) deals in some very exotic gear ,has a rockport sirus and to hear that deck performing is amazing , truely amazing, a linn cd12 wouldn't come anywhere near it in anyway, so there it is you audiphiles out there MUST forget cd for maximum sound quality

19. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Nice reasoned debate thats what I like. When a big hifi mag here did a comparison with Linn of their top CD player and their top turntable the results were quite evenly split.

But suddenly from talking about £500-£1k universal players we are now in the realms of Rockports and CD 12 which isn't relevant here. There are some very good products out there in all these formats, it is a matter of spotting the good ones from the bad.

For the 'record' I use a 'big' turntable, have thousands of records and love them dearly. I also have high end CD play and DVD players and my results are far from conclusive. Each one has their following when people visit my place. I have also owned the Arcam 92 and many moons ago a Gyrodeck,, but have long since been moved on to better things.

20. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea but the lp 12 is a crap deck, i have had one fully loaded, ekos mk2, lingo, trampolin, arkiv cartridge and it sounded awefull ( and yes it was set up propley, by a top linn trained engineer) u say the gyro is no good but u are wrong, it needs the sme series v to work properly( and mine is fully silver wired, wich makes a hell of ia difference.
    linn hifi is over hyped rubbish, i have never heard a good linn system at all,
    the gyro is a great deck but needs careful positioning and tuning right, i have had around 15 decks over the years, including a roxsan tms(to bright)and 4 lp12's and i have never been more satisfied than i am now.
    i have tried the orb but could not hear any difference between them(the gyro looks better) i have a gold plated sme arm by the way. send me a mail and i will send u some photos,
    as i said for the ultimate sound vinyl always wins. if cd was better i would have spent 12 grand on a cd12, but that linn stuff is junk for the idiots who buy it(why do u think there is so much linn stuff for sale on ebay) and very

21. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what deck do you use nic? i only used the rockport sirus to get my point across.
    by taking it to the extreme u can conclude easier.
    u go into any proper hifi store and they will ALLWAYS say vinyl has a better sound.anyway most cd players sound the same, i only got the cd92 for my small cd collection and i got it for £400 brand new. the only thing i am going to get now is a van den hul grasshopper, which my friend in england deals in, and that should take it to outer orbit for sound quality

22. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    There is a saying I think is very apt here for you Mike :

“Never argue with an idiot you only end up at their level”

PS you seem like a "40 watt lightbulb" type sort of a dude when you can say this sort of stuff in the same post :

Do you have a poster of Lara Croft on the wall & lots of Clearasil in the bathroom ?

23. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah u lose then my friend, you obviously have a crap system(probably a linn system)

24. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah an lp12 aye oh i hit a nerve then.
    no but joking aside i have had 4 lp12's and i was never happy with any of them. come to think of it u probably have the best of the bunch the valhalla sounds no different to the lingo and the akito is better than the ekos. get rid of the sure cartridge ,had one of those. when u strip down the lp12 it's just mdf and pressed steel a very dated design, where the gyro is engineered to a high standard(outboard motor cast aluminium ) no mdf of pressed steel in sight, and very little surface noise, almost as silent as cd, my friend who deals in very high end gear calls the lp12 junk, he would ,he has a rockport( if only i had £50,000 to spend on a record deck) the sound is so good u can hardly believe your ears. another good deck is the townsend rock reference, he has one for sale, wow what a sound nearly as good as what i have

25. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Yeah but no but Mike yeah but, I gots a Linn Classik, 2 Klimaxs, Komris, 2 Sizmiks, Pekin, LP12 Aro, Linto, Minto, Lingo, Bingo yeah yeah I lose. I made a mistake in my earlier post Mike, your not a 40 watt lightbulb you’re a 20 watter dude.

26. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    This is all way off topic guys. Start a thread in the appropriate forum if you wish to debate the pros and cons of vinyl vs. cd. This was a Pioneer/Denon receiver thread.

27. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    god your touchy about your system, made an expensive mistake has one. put the lp12 out for the dustman ,if they would take it. if u paid them i'm sure they would

28. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I may not use it but to call it a crap deck is doing it a MAJOR injustice.

err where did I say that, anywhere ever? I used to enjoy my Gyrodeck and I don't think I have ever said a bad word about the deck. Period. In fact I used to chat to the designer regularly about it and admired him greatly.

well each to their own, personally I think they have done stuff few have ever equalled. The Kremlin is a unique device as I feel are the unidiscs. There are many other examples of excellence but you seem anti Linn so there is little point here.

Glad you are now happy, does that make everyone else wrong?

29. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use a pioneer dv 868 avi through the i-link into a ax10i and hdmi into pioneer plasma

30. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry nic i was chatting to some else i am new to this