1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I sell my AE100?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by (GTV)Chris, Jan 9, 2003.

1. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am in a massive dilema.
    Should I sell my Panny (which I am happy with) and buy a second hand CRT like a Barco?
    I know the differences etc - but wondered if I would regret it at all.
    The size worries me a little as my dedicated room will be 14x10ft.
    And my screen is 7ft.
    I would have to floor mount the CRT where as, I can ceiling mount my Panny.
    The biggest stumbling block is convincing my wife etc.
    Has anyone done a direct comparrison between the AE100 and a CRT like a Barco Data 801 for example - I have seen one on this forum for sale etc and I am very tempted.
    I am tempted by the better cinematic blacks and no chicken wire effect.
    I can't do DLP as I see the rainbow effect all the time.

Cheers

Chris

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I had similar wife acceptance issues with a barco data800 that is now in the hands of THX1138.

Also ideally you'll need as near to black out conditions as you can get to really appreciate the improvement in contrast range from the CRT: it won't be as bright remember.

I've resigned myself to wait until they start producing really impressive afforable 3 panel DLPs or LCOS units before trading up. The panny has a couple of weaknesses but its certainly helped my HC hobby gain some appreciation from the problematic ball and chain. And I get a lot of fun tweaking the heck out of it.

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Chris,

Got to agree with Mr.D -

When I went to get a projector, a CRT was top of my list - siting in our sitting room was not on - I didn't particularly want it there any more than herself, TBH, and putting it on the floor and building a "coffee table" over it didn't seem like a great idea - sooner or later it would get a few kicks from passing teenagers/younger daughter and friends/whatever. Full light control/blackout was easy to achieve in the sitting room with blackouts etc, but has little to recommend it as a conventional living environment, imo. I postponed ideas of CRT until I got a dedicated room - which I've got sorted out now - but need to gather funds for a while yet before changing projector.

Offering this kind of advice is scary - we're all different in terms of circumstances, WAF etc. etc., but I wouldn't go CRT in my living room. I reckon you should enjoy the Panny for a while yet. It ain't perfect ( by comparison with the current crop) but it still throws a decent big native widescreen image, and certainly outclasses your local cinema.

Cheers,

Sean G.

4. sasja

sasja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the exact same headache (except larger room and screen)! If you do decide to get the Barco, please get back and share your thoughts!

PS. Why can't you ceiling mount the CRT?

5. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Couldn't cieling mount because of the wife...and to be honest..it was a bit large.
    But i did a comparrison at work and I have to say I projected my panny on a 16 ft wall and it looked amazing, component connection via a beta sp machine.
    I am happy to stick with the AE100 at the mo.

Cheers

Chris

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Chris,

Good decision, good decision.

Thinks: Phew, that was a close one ! Another AE100 owner saved from desertion ! Timh will be pleased !

;) ;) :D

All the best,

Sean G.