Should I sacrifice correct black and white levels for correct gamma setting?

Basil Plumley

Ex Member
Reaction score
As per the title really...after my marathon posting session in the greyscales for dummies thread, I've come to the conclusion that it's my sensor that's out and not the borrowed one...so I went through the calibration process on my projector last night to see what results I could get using the borrowed sensor...readings attached.

You'll notice that the gamma setting is bang on 2.22 - which I believe to be the accepted industry standard...? To get this I had to increase the black level by about seven notches...to the point where the BTB bar is visible on DVE.
The errors are pretty good - though they are better when the BTB bar is not visible - hence my question in the title.

Attachments

• MDPJ.jpg
    MDPJ.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 84
  • MDPJgam.jpg
    MDPJgam.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 93
  • MDPJlum.jpg
    MDPJlum.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 66
  • MDPJRGB.jpg
    MDPJRGB.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 59
  • MDPJtemp.jpg
    MDPJtemp.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 56
  • MDPJtria.jpg
    MDPJtria.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 56
Well that's an interesting question. Joe Kane, the guy who set up the ISF in the first place, would adjust the pluge so that you could see the blacker than black stripe (at least he did when I last asked him about it)...however, you should only do that, imho, if by doing so you don't add non linearities to greyscale or make mpeg compression noise and banding more obvious.

Well that's an interesting question. Joe Kane, the guy who set up the ISF in the first place, would adjust the pluge so that you could see the blacker than black stripe (at least he did when I last asked him about it)...however, you should only do that, imho, if by doing so you don't add non linearities to greyscale or make mpeg compression noise and banding more obvious.

Many thanks - as you can see from the readings above, my greyscales aren't that bad (can never fathom out why the luminance drops off like that at the top end though).
I watched Quantom Of Solace on Blu-ray after setting it up and it was the most film like image I've seen from my projector.
I'm hoping the grain I saw wasn't thae banding you mention...!:rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom