1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I return my PD50?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by benbtg, Aug 25, 2005.

1. benbtg

benbtg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just over a month ago I recieved my shiney new TX32 PD50 from HomeCinemaTV.
    In general I have been very happy with it.
    Component DVD playback is awesome, although I have found that dark areas such as shadows or dark hair, lack detail. Sky footage isn't brilliant but I guess thats down to the bitrate.
    However I have an intermittent fault which I have noticed on and off from day one. Every now and then the brightness will drop (or sometimes rise) for a few seconds and then level off. This can occur several times in one hour and then seem fine for a few days. At first I put it off as being a problem with the source. But I have noticed it with DVD's through component and Sky throught RGB scart.
    My gut feeling is that it's an early warning about a PSU issue and I should return it before it dies?

Any thoughts?

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    it could be some kind of auto contrast problem. At the end of the day if you are not happy either send it back or get an engineer out :)

3. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i sent mine back - had endless problems.....getting a tosh zp now

4. petencl

petencl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here, got the Tosh 32ZP48 from Makro to replace our iffy PD50. After finding the recommended picture settings the image on the Tosh blows me away.

The cricket is looking fantastic (in more ways than one! :D )

5. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Still have mine :) very few issues to worry about. Any problems I had/have don't seem to be the TV or bedded in with time except for brightness on faces when artificial light shines down which I'm hoping to crack with some service adjustment.

Don't know though if I'd replace mine with the mentioned Tosh should it come to it. Infact I just may go back to a Sony as I still think face tones on ye old box is exemplary. Although to be honest I'm finding hard NOT to watch ye current telly!

6. thedaz

thedaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm, ive had mine now for say 1 month. My only problem/ concern is the contrast !?? Unsure about this but i have sky+ and the picture is not great (RGB- but never tried S-video) Solid colours such as red seem over exposed which seems to smudge the surrounding area, this does not give the graetest of pictures. Also when i watch the footy close up the players look like the have a speckly hue around them. Any ideas ?

7. benbtg

benbtg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When will I ever learn to heed the warning signs! :oops:

I just really wanted a decent CRT with component in. Very hard to come by, and besides, I thought I could be one of the lucky PD50 owners. :nono:

To be honest I'm now actually considering going down the LCD route. :suicide:

I have seen some amazing bargain 30" LCD's at around the same I paid for the PD50 (£600). Would I regret it? Is SD TV really that bad on an LCD?
    I'm planning on using it with Sky+ and my Media centre PC for DVD's and DIVX's

8. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Were in danger of hijacking this thread but I think the OP really has and knew the answer.

Anyhow you are clearly not happy with your PD50 but you don't say why.

I could knock the panny for 6 in comparison to my Sony but I fear an exchange would reap a much worse one (I can't see it being any better), likewise I could strip the Sony to shreads in comparison to the Panny.... finding something better in all areas does not seem to be easy. I can see LCD's advantages over CRT and it just may be the route to take. Still have to decide though if the disadvantages you can cope with.

9. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    well, my CRT has 5000:1 contrast ratio, and compare that to probably 600:1 or 1000:1 or if you're lucky ( but probably not for 600 pounds) maybe more in LCD. brightness as well, 1500 compared to 350 or 500 in LCD or maybe a little more but again not for 600 pounds. so be prepared to more washed up colours and so on with LCD :thumbsdow

advantages are obvious, size, weight, perfect geometry. if it's ok for you, i don't know.

10. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Don't forget NO room reflection in the screen which therefore lets in less (nil?) light and therefore emits more of it's natural light.

11. benbtg

benbtg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5000:1 compared to 600:1!
    Wow I didn't realise CRT's are that much better.
    LCD's pictures must look very dull.

12. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    They don't because they are back lit by their very nature of design. CRT's have to create their brightness from the gun's and tube design. Therefore the same must apply for CRT contrast ratio's some excellent and some at the cheaper scale not so wonderful.

A good LCD will have a 1500:1 contrast ratio and those with lower contrast don't look to different. Just try to avoid the stupid like 400:1