1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I request a replacement?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by JonH, Nov 25, 2002.

1. JonH

JonH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New KV32FX66

1. Buzzing from back (annoying but tolerable)
    2. Very top right hand corner of picture curves down. Noticable on digital programs with a banner up there (BBCi, Sky News etc) and on widescreen DVDs.

I haven't a clue about service menu's or how to adjust it, or even indeed if I can as it's not symmetrical.

I've looked at the websites given on Sony service menus, and they may as well be in Greek. Is there an idiots guide anywhere?!

Thanks
    Jon

:rolleyes:

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Might be best to stay out of Service Menu. If you alter settings incorrectly it is a chargeable call to resolve.
    The buzzing is probably quite normal.
    With the set being so new, have your supplying dealer send a service engineer to check the buzzing, he will correct your curved pin-cushion geometry for straight banners etc at same time.
    No charge under warranty.
    If you request a swap-out, the replacement will need setting up anyway, it's unlikely to be any better in this regard.

3. JonH

JonH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice - I'll give them a call and see what they say.....

Jon

4. JonH

JonH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have phoned the supplier (webelectricals) and they were very helpful. An engineer is due to call today or tomorrow to talk me through how to fix the problem, apparently. The set also didn't come with an Englsh user manual and so they are sending one of those out too.

I know there'll be many lurkers on this forum seeking guidance and tips (as I was! :blush: ) so I'll let you all know the outcome as it may be helpful to at least someone.

While I'm here, I am looking to add to my system a sony home cinema dvd set-up (the ps2 is great for dvd's but I miss the surround sound from my old sony tv) - any experiences or recommendations out there?

Cheers
    Jon

5. JonH

JonH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the "engineer" told me to go into the service menu, but I could hardly understand a work he was saying to be honest. It was a different company to webelectricals so I guess they must subcontract that side of the business. Anyway, needless to say I refused to do the service menu myself just in case it all went Pete Tong and I lost my right to a replacement.

Phoned webelecticals back and as helpful as ever, a replacement will be with me next week.

Anyone interested in how this turns out, or shall I get me coat? :rolleyes:

6. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm interested and I'm sure lots of people too lazy to talk to you are interested too :D :D

It's always good to hear whether things work out or not... that's how we help out each other on the forums, right? :)

7. bruno_scalera

bruno_scalera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let us know how the new one is like Jon :), as you saw in my thread i'm the same problems, looks fine when watching films etc, but when you have a whole load of on screen graphics or teletext it looks a mess of wavy lines.

I may try an attack on the service menu, but will make sure i right down ALL the settings before attempting anything.

8. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had hours of fun! playing in the service menus , just to see what each did.
    A digital photo of each page before adjustments is the safest why I've found to keep track of the original settings.
    Its quite safe as lond as the menu button is pressed twice after the set is switched back on holding the prog = and - together ( for KV36). If any other buttons are pressed before entering the sercive menu, that can be DISASTEROUS!

9. JonH

JonH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here are the results.....!

1. Buzzing still on this one, maybe even a little louder, but to be honest you can only hear it when you're up close and the sound's off and how often will that happen??! For some reason my amp seems to have got a bit of a louder hum to it now though?

2. HOORAY! No more skewed, bendy or wavey lines! If I was being really picky there's be an ever-so-slight downturn, but this time it's symettrical unlike the last mess. I can barely notice though and on the basis of what people have said about perfect geometry on this forum, I'm a happy camper.

As an aside, what have other FX66 owners found is the best colour/contrast/brightness set up for general use?

Cheers all
    Jon

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    JonH,
    Pleased you have a happy outcome.

11. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I find that about 35-40% colour with a 50-55% brightness and about 65% contrast seems to work for me alternatively the movie mode with increased contrast is also quite good.

Hope this helps;)

12. JonH

JonH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers dude :D (guess who just watched the big lebowski?!)

By the way, can't find the thread now but would the person who didn't have a UK user manual for the FX66 like me to scan mine in for them? Let me know.

Jon :cool: