Should I replace my M34 speakers ?

Atomcom

Established Member
Reaction score
I know the question ambiguous, so let me go into a bit more detail.

I have a pair of M34 as my main speakers (Used for both movies and music), I also have a matching M3C2 centre speaker. Now I have upgraded a lot of my system, receiver, streamer, cables etc over the last year or so, but I have keep my current speakers.

Is it worth me spending out on some new main speakers, or would the return for the money be small? I know I could go and test listen to a load of speakers but is it worth the time, money and effort? Speaker technology has not really changed much over the last 10 -20 years so it is not like I am missing out on new features or options,

By the way, I am very happy with the sound from these speakers, but they are now over 15 years old.

I know the question ambiguous, so let me go into a bit more detail.

I have a pair of M34 as my main speakers (Used for both movies and music), I also have a matching M3C2 centre speaker. Now I have upgraded a lot of my system, receiver, streamer, cables etc over the last year or so, but I have keep my current speakers.

Is it worth me spending out on some new main speakers, or would the return for the money be small? I know I could go and test listen to a load of speakers but is it worth the time, money and effort? Speaker technology has not really changed much over the last 10 -20 years so it is not like I am missing out on new features or options,

By the way, I am very happy with the sound from these speakers, but they are now over 15 years old.

I think it definitely would be worth the time going listen the speakers. You should however book demo time by calling and telling them which exact models you want to listen and compare. Usually i would say 2-4 main speaker pairs so you can sit down for 1hour and see how you feel are they good step up. Depending of your budget there could be lot of good options that certainly won´t sound the same as what you have now. I would say if you got the itch then you need to scratch it. 15years old speakers have paid themself back and we all need some change now and then whether it`s speakers/subwoofers, car, women.. 😅 The new ones are also modern looking and you might fancy some different finish to suit your room decor better (happier wife also?).

Looking the rest of your equipment the speakers you have are very cheap in comparison at 300£/pair and 150£ for the LCR. And speakers will make the biggest change more than receiver if you pick wisely. So i would definitely look what`s available within your budget at least for the LCR if not the surrounds too or could you perhaps use the Mission M34 for the time being at the back of room? I assume they would be better effect speakers than the Pioneers although floorstanders aren`t really required there.. Just a thought. Always good to start with the front three!

What is your budget and how much movies/series % over music listening?

Well you do make a good point maybe it is time to upgrade. Though I am worried that I will be spending £1k for maybe a little improvement ?

Budget £1k

90% Films/TV
10% Music

Well you do make a good point maybe it is time to upgrade. Though I am worried that I will be spending £1k for maybe a little improvement ?

Budget £1k

90% Films/TV
10% Music

Could you consider standmount speakers at the front? For LCR best deal atm would be Monolith Monoprice THX Ultra range which competes against speakers much more expensive. @kbfern and @Jase can confirm as both own / have owned other cinema speakers. Also can either one link the UK links here. The EU prices would be roughly 1200£ for the LCR, hopefully the UK prices are similar and perhaps you could ask is there discount codes available. For comparison XTZ Cinema M6 (LCR) costs over 2577£ and M&K LCR950 (LCR) 2400£ & M&K S150 (LCR) 4200£. We can look some general hifi ranges, but with 90% movies i think these would be very hard to beat and offer superb bang for buck.

If the finish/looks doesn`t suit then i would consider saving up for example Arendal 1723 standmounts at 1600€ / 1375£ pair. And then get the center channel later as running 4.1 system isn´t end of world especially with these. So yeah it would be pushing your budget, but you already spent big bucks for high quality av-receiver and other stuff so you should be spending big bucks on speakers aswell if you want to make noticeable step up! We have members liking these more for movies than example Kef R range (+2k£ LCR) or M&K S150 (4200£ LCR).

As @Gasp3621 mentioned above, the Monoprice are certainly worth considering. They also occasionally have Sales and Discount Codes although I don't know if there any at the moment.

THX-365T - £460.99 (each)

THX-365C - £368.99 (each)

THX-265B - £258.99 (each)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom