Should I remove older version of Windows?

Damo77

Standard Member
I have a Compaq Mini 311 netbook which has been upgraded with Windows 7. A program called HP Support Assistant runs every week or so and one of the recommendations it throws up is to remove an older version fo Windows as it is using a significant amount of disk space.

The upgrade was carried out at a local computer shop and it appears that the older Windows XP has been left on the netbook in a folder.

The exact message I get is as below:

"When you upgraded from an older versions of Windows, the previous version of Windows was saved in a folder c:\windows.old. This folder is very large depending on the number of programs and data files that existed on your previous version of Windows. HP recommends copying any old files you want over to your new version and delete Windows.old to free up disk space."

Is it ok to go ahead and delete this and if so is it easy to do?

Thanks.

brookheather

Distinguished Member
Yes you can just delete it from the Windows Explorer.

- Simon.

Badger0-0

It's perfectly safe to delete, but it depends, as you might be throwing some very important stuff that you might have forgotten about.

The assistant quite rightly mentions it;

HP recommends copying any old files you want over to your new version

dc8900

Distinguished Member
The upgrade was carried out at a local computer shop and it appears that the older Windows XP has been left on the netbook in a folder.

this is hardly unique when doing an upgrade install, you have the option of moving the contents on the old OS into the folder 'Windows.old'

As before me have said, copy over folders you need and then delete it

the location of the folder should be something like:

Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Windows.old

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom