Should I Remove My Aerial Splitter to Improve Picture

AntJone

Novice Member
We have a splitter for the aerial signal which feeds 3 sockets around the house.
Only one of these sockets is used.
Would I improve my signal by
i) Disconnecting the cables to the unused sockets?
ii) Cutting out the splitter completely - connecting aerial to socket cable directly.

Picture of splitter below - if I went with option ii) what would I need to join input to output?

Thank you very much in advance!

Splitter.jpg

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
We have a splitter for the aerial signal which feeds 3 sockets around the house.
Only one of these sockets is used.
Would I improve my signal by
i) Disconnecting the cables to the unused sockets?
ii) Cutting out the splitter completely - connecting aerial to socket cable directly.

Picture of splitter below - if I went with option ii) what would I need to join input to output?

Thank you very much in advance!

.View attachment 1640378
It should improve the signal by removing the splitter, but might not be by much. All you would need is one of these
Amazon product
No harm in trying, can always put the splitter back in if it doesnt improve the signal.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Improving the signal will only help the picture in the sense that it'll be at less risk of breaking up. It won't improve picture quality.

winston2010

A 3 way splitter like that has a loss of 5.6dB to each outlet. A good aerial system should be designed to tolerate such a loss so you will probably see no difference by removing it.

outoftheknow

A good aerial system should be designed to tolerate such a loss
True - but we don't know the aerial and signal at the house.

Personally once these things are in, I would add a masthead amplifier rather than disconnecting sockets that are in the house - that splitter can have the DC power to the amplifier connected to any of the three outputs. If the OP doesn't use two of the outlets, those would normally provide a simple place to have the power for the masthead amplifier. All three are still usable.

Even that assumes the aerial is the right one for the location etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom