1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I record in Progressive Scan?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NJM, Mar 26, 2002.

1. NJM

NJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I know this is probably a basic question and as a newbie to Progressive Scan I'm confused and hoping someone can enligten me! I purchased a JVC GR-DV2000 video camera that supports progressive scan but in the manual it says "...when moving images are played back, the picture can look unnatural". My question is when and why would I use progressive scan?

1) For Still Image capture to Tape?
    2) For Still Image capture to the Memory Card?
    3) For Video Capture to DV?
    a) for burning to DVD's
    b) playback on std TV's
    c) playback on progressive scan TV/Monitor

I will typically capture stills to the card then copy to my PC, but the main purpose is I want to capture video onto DV Tape that I will both play back on a TV and also export it to my hard drive for later burning to a DVD!

Thanks
    Nathan

2. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The progressive mode mimics the process of film to video transfer. It does look better played back on a PC in this mode as there is no issue with deinterlacing.

I would use progressive for anything except sports or other things with fast motion.

Note for TV playback you will lose motion information with this method and you may notice a film like quality to the motion.

John