Should I put up with backlight bleed?

Lizzybif

Novice Member
As I have reported in a couple of other posts I have slight backlight bleed on my Panasonic 32LXD700 and not sure whether I should ask for a replacement?

It takes the form of a slightly yellow cloud in the top left hand corner but after the Tv has been on for a while it blends in more as most of the screen takes on a slightly yellow hue (there are some bits of blue as well).
It is most noticable in some dark scenes especially night sky.

Apart from this the TV is great so not sure whether I should ask for a replacment?
Is this problem likely to get worse?

Would really appreciate advice as am in a dilemma about this.:lease:

Thanks!

gasteropod

Novice Member
How long have you had it for? I had some mild backlight bleeding on the corners of my LCD, but after a week of use, it had disappeared.

crashuk

As I have reported in a couple of other posts I have slight backlight bleed on my Panasonic 32LXD700 and not sure whether I should ask for a replacement?

It takes the form of a slightly yellow cloud in the top left hand corner but after the Tv has been on for a while it blends in more as most of the screen takes on a slightly yellow hue (there are some bits of blue as well).
It is most noticable in some dark scenes especially night sky.

Apart from this the TV is great so not sure whether I should ask for a replacment?
Is this problem likely to get worse?

Would really appreciate advice as am in a dilemma about this.:lease:

Thanks!
replacement, if its showing a distortion i would send it back.

Lizzybif

Novice Member
How long have you had it for? I had some mild backlight bleeding on the corners of my LCD, but after a week of use, it had disappeared.
I've had it for about a month now.

replacement, if its showing a distortion i would send it back.
That's what I was thinking. I have been in touch with the retailer so will wait for him to get back to me.
I really hope I will get a replacement and I can get this and the 'old' one picked up on the same day or I will have no tele!:eek:

Thanks both!

Lizzybif

Novice Member
I emailed Panasonic about this problem and they have replied saying that some backlight bleed is normal.

This doesn't really bode well for a replacement does it?:rolleyes:

S'cuse my ignorance but is clouding and backlight bleed the same thing?

I really, really hope I can get a replacment as it is spoiling a great TV.
Not sure what my rights are?

Pontiac

Novice Member
Who did you buy it from? Your warranty is with the retailer not the manufacturer. Most retailers will send an engineer to verify all faults before they repair or replace if necessary. Unfortunately though, what Panasonic say is true... a little backlight bleed is normal, although I personally don't believe it should be put up with. I have seen backlight bleed on every single LCD screen, including this LCD monitor that I'm using now. I cannot use LCD monitors (at home anyway) for that reason so I stick to CRT. I brought an LCD TV and it had backlight bleed, tried to get it replaced but it was from Dixons and their customer service is attrocious so I was not able to and I ended up selling it to a colleague at work who didn't even notice the bleed... not all people do.

Anyway, long story short I switched to Plasma mainly because all LCD's in my experienc have a little bleed. Although the problem I have now is, all plasma's have niggly faults too, the main one is green ghosting/trailing on panning shots... although I still prefer them to LCDs because at least they dont bleed!

It's up to you what to do now.. stick to CRT or go plasma is bleeding really bothers you... that's my advice for what it's worth!

PS: if you brought it less than 7 working days ago (but I doubt you did) from an online retailer or other the phone you could return it under distance selling regulations.

MumboJumbo

Novice Member
So is it Some or lots... If its lots then pester them.... Give Panasonic the usual, "But I always have bought panasonic products in the past and I am a fan" then hit them with "maybe I was wrong to put my faith in Panasonic and perhaps I should have looked at Sony" etc etc... They maybe more eager to help you.

If you are getting colours on clouding then I would definatley ask for a replacement.

The difference on Backlight bleed and Clouding is to me the edges of the screen portray light coming through. Press lightlu on the edges of the LCD panel and you will see light come through. Clouding is usually around 3" inches in from the edges and the same applies with light coming through at differing strengths.

If you are unhappy keep pestering. But remember LCD's and PLASMA's are far from perfect... Maybe this year they will get things a little more even on the black panels.

Spiderkid

In addition to the approach mentioned above, you can always try the deterioration tac.. ie. 'it wasn't like this when I bought it, it's clearly getting worse and reducing my viewing quality'..

Lizzybif

Novice Member
Thanks everyone.

The retailer is coming to view the TV next week so here's hoping he will agree there is a problem and give me a replacement.

I cannot fathom out why the screen takes on a more yellow hue as the TV 'heats up'. This makes the yellowy cloud blend in more but is still obvious on some dark scenes.

As I said I am delighted with the TV otherwise and it is such a shame it has this problem.

Will let you know how things go. Wish me luck!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom