1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I plunge to sky + or not ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Kings, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Kings

Kings
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I have just got my new TV {Tosh 36zp48} on a normal basic ariel signal and am well pleased. :thumbsup:

I am interersted in taking the plunge to Sky + but note with hesitation all the negative things that seems to be said on sky plus.

It would be a great help if anyone with a balanced opinion could give me the plus points and the negative ones so that it could help me make the decision one way or the other.

I am particulary interested in the picture quality and would love to know if the signal strength is dependant on the receiver/location/installation. { I live in Loughborugh}

Thanks in advance for those who take the time to reply

Regards
    Paul D

2. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Oi Oi Kings..........
    This is not an expert opinion, but,
    My missus works for a Cable Provider.
    I get my digital at staff prices, which I think,
    is about 65% of normal cost.
    I am gonna finish typing this reply, then
    order my Sky+.
    My Dad has just got it installed.
    First impressions and all that...........I am converted.
    Stuff the extra cost.......

3. Canewdon Chris

Canewdon Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can get over the issues with dealing with Sky themselves opting for Sky+ certainly works for me.

If you do have issues with Sky (like I did) install it yourself for instant self gratification :laugh:

All the features are useful - live pause in particular. If your your're technically minded you can connect your PC to the S-video output on the Sky+ and backup up your saved programmes on a PC. You then then a medium to stream it back to the TV (XBox) for example. This avoids the need for going for a Sky 160 (providing you have the kit to do it!)

As you can see it has many more functions than just being a sat recevier.

4. KingOfGondor

KingOfGondor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    rather than faffing about with going to PC and back you could just put a 250GB HDD in for an extra £110ish therefore getting 90GB extra storage than sky+160 for just £200-250 (depending whether you are new customer or not)

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204

What issues did you have with sky? Only reason I ask is that iam am thinking of upgrading to sky plus and would appreciate any info.

6. Canewdon Chris

Canewdon Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No faffing required - this is easier than the HDD conversion.

If you read through the forums the main issues with Sky are over cost and abuse of their position. Also their attitude to customer support and service. Some people have had agood support, others like myself-very poor support (for the monthly payment you have to make).

The particular issue I had was the fact that I was an existing customer (7years) and a new customer could get Sky+ at a much more discounted rate.

There are many threads on this subject and for self satisfaction many people have plumped to do it themselves.

7. KingOfGondor

KingOfGondor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    its the same situation with contract mobile phones really.
    a new customer will get a handset for next to nothing whereas someone upgrading, will get a discount on full price, but it will still be expensive. it is because with the new customer they have a guaranteed 12 month contract.

8. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I had mine installed on friday, cost me 149 as i argued like fudge with the sales person as to why me a loyal customer of 10+ yrs who already has multiroom (i pay 50 quid a month in total) should have to pay more than a new customer. After several talks with his manager he eventally backed down and agreed to do the install for 149, cheeky bas****s, ive been business for over 30yrs (boating marina) and would never offer cheaper mooring rates to new customers as I fear it would upset my existing long standing customers , its about time sky learned how to look after its customers, they wont allways have us by the balls and when someone else starts supplying a decent alternative (I dont mean cable, as I cant get it) they will learn the error of their ways.

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Just go for it mate...I have it in two rooms and it is excellent.......Sky like all big organisations can be a mare to deal with and some of their installers are pretty cr*p but Sky+ itself is fantastic.