1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I output R1 in NTSC or PAL?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jon Weaver, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I used to have a Samsung player which had a switch at the back for NTSC/PAL and a software option to select between 50/60hz

For watching DVDs, I used to leave it in PAL(60)

With my Pioneer, its got a software selection between AUTO, NTSC and PAL.

As default it comes as Auto, which means that R1s output in NTSC and R2s in PAL.

But what gives the best quality, PAL or NTSC?

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your TV accepts both, leave it in auto, I do that...

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    TV certainly does accept both and the quality seems constant.

But there must be some pros and cons of each format and I am wondering if anyone knows anything about any problems/advantages.

4. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, there are a couple of issues here - the question is whether your new DVD player is outputing 'true' PAL or PAL60 when the switch is set to PAL.

PAL and NTSC technically only refer to the colour encoding system used in composite video - of these two the PAL system is superior to the NTSC system - partly because it is modulated at a higher frequency (giving higher bandwidth for picture detail) and partly due to the inherent error cancelling that PAL gives.

In a DVD player the disk contains either 525 line 60Hz or 625 line 50Hz images in component format, so the player can decide which colour format to use - as you had on your original machine, the switch on the back set the colour standard only.

The problem comes when you convert 50Hz material to 60Hz or vice versa - it is VERY difficult to do this well (our basic unit to do this is cica £10K, the really good one, Alchemist, is well over £100K) - so it is best to avoid converting between the two.
    On your original machine the software switch would have set the frame rate output, so one region of disk would have been converted if it was left on one setting.
    On your new machine it isn't clear whether a conversion is taking place or not, so I would suggest leaving it on auto - the extremely small loss in detail is more than outweighed by the frame rate conversion loss.

In case you are not aware of what this would look like - watch anything with medium speed horizontal camera movements (pans)- you'll see the image judder continuously. As a note, 3:2 pull down effects are similar but is more of a stutter in pans.

I hope this helps!

Richard Ansell
    Snell & Wilcox

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    The output of my player is always 60hz.. You can select between PAL and NTSC, but not 50 and 60 hz.

My Samsung could output 50hz PAL, but it demonstrated the symtoms you described.

All I wonder is that if I am playing a R1 on a UK DVD player, plugged into a UK TV (which is designed for PAL, but accepts NTSC), then will outputing PAL or NTSC give me the best picture?

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    You should be using RGB, which strickly speaking is neither PAL or NTSC.

Jeff

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    NTSC is always 60Hz and normal PAL (PAL50) is 50Hz. PAL60 has been invented to allow compability between NTSC sources and non-NTSC TVs which can handle the 60Hz.

However from a R1 disc (which carries 575/60) the player would make a NTSC signal, so if you choose another output option it will involve some processing/conversion.
    Since your TV understands NTSC I would choose AUTO then.

(But if the TV would not be NTSC compatible choosing PAL60 might be the only option if you cannot connect via SCART/RGB.)

Then again I don't think you will notice too much difference between NTSC and PAL on a normal TV anyhow.