1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I or shouldn't I?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Poolsharkie69, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I have my system as seen in my signature. People are telling me to buy a cd player for my system. I have a 5 diisc yamaha cd changer but the laser is f**ked. I usually play any mp3 or cd on my 5 disc Pana. It does double remastering. Should I get another CD-Player? Is my dvd player fine to play my cd's with? I know it is slower to start up and to read the cd but that i don't care about. To be honest most of my music is played through my xbox from my Home theater pc. There are those times that I woudl use a cd though. Also the yamaha one I looked at had digital out (toslink I think) this make any difference on regular cd's? I woudl assume not ...someone enlighten my small brain please

Thanks

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    The main question you need to ask yourself is if you are happy with the sound you are getting from CD playback. If the answer is yes then you dont need a new CD player. If you feel it could be better than it is worth looking arround.

Many CD players do have digital connections now, if you use the digital connection then the CD player acts purely as a transport - getting the info off the CD and giving it to the AMP to convert from digital to analogue (via its DAC) and then amplify & output the signal. If you use an analogue connection then the DAC in the CD player does the conversion and passes it to the amplifier to purely amply & output the signal. The question of which is a better connection is one of purely personal taste - one DAC may be better than the other but you may simply prefer the sound (even if it isnt 'technically' as good) of one over the other.

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Astaroth is right, if you are connecting digitally, then your input medium is acting purely as a transport. I sold my CD5400 on as I felt the DACs in my SR7500 were better anyway.

Unless you are buying a mid to high end CD Player, your Yammy will probably have the better DACs.

4. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok that makes sense. Thanks. I don't mind the sound of my cd's in my dvd player...but i do mind how long it takes for it to read a cd. I know that is a complpaint many peopel have about the dvd players. I only have the f-65 panasonic 5 dvd changer....probably a single tray woudl be better at handling cd's. I think i will stick with what I have since my cd's have all been ripped to my computer anyway and stream to the receiver through my xbox.