Should I lose more weight?

• Thread starter Deleted member 714202
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 714202

About a year ago I decided I was too heavy weighing 13st 6 and totally cut out my bad foods and takeaways etc..
I'm now down to 10st exactly and was wondering whether that's too low or is it a good weight! I'm 30 years old and 5ft 9 and have a small frame.
I never thought I was massive but knew I used to eat bad foods often and that's why I changed.
My wife keeps saying not too loose anymore but I'm finding it hard and I have became kind of addicted with weight loss.
Thanks

Given your height you do not appear to be particularly heavy and I would suggest you may not need to lose anymore weight as such. That said it will all depend on your body make up. If you had a lot of muscle mass then you could be a fair bit heavier and still be OK. Overall weight is a very poor measure for fitness etc.
You say you have cut out bad foods but do you exercise at all as well?
To be honest I am a little concerned by a couple of your comments especially around the addicted to weight loss as this starts to sound like you may have an issue psychologically with your body image etc. I also get concerned when people take about 'bad' foods and totally cutting them out. There is no such thing as a 'bad' food but only eating too much of one particular thing. Having the odd takeaway or fried food as part of a well balanced diet is not bad for you.
If your wife is saying not to lose anymore then this could be because you are starting to look too thin so worth reassessing where you are in terms of weight lose etc.

Thank you for your reply!
Muscle mass not really and excersie I have two young sons so we play sports quite often and do enjoy long walks around country parks and cycling a bit. I dont go to the jym or anything.

Food wise and that I will still eat cheeseburger and chips etc.. But I just make more in the house now than eating out and adding more fruit and veg into my meals.
Looking at the heathly weight range for me it says 9st - 12st
and I'm within that.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what you say above it sounds like you have a good bit of exercise anyway and your weight is about right too. Hence, if you are currently maintaining your weight I would keep doing what you are doing and try not to think about your weight. In fact I would probably suggest you do not even bother weighing yourself anymore (assuming you still are monitoring your weight) but just let it look after itself. This should then hopefully help kick the feeling that you need to keep losing weight.

From what you say above it sounds like you have a good bit of exercise anyway and your weight is about right too. Hence, if you are currently maintaining your weight I would keep doing what you are doing and try not to think about your weight. In fact I would probably suggest you do not even bother weighing yourself anymore (assuming you still are monitoring your weight) but just let it look after itself. This should then hopefully help kick the feeling that you need to keep losing weight.

Thanks very much!
I have my sisters wedding coming up in 2 weeks so I'm pleased that I have lost weight in time for that.
I will take your advice and cut down on the amount of times I weigh myself which I know was too much.

You should not be weighing yourself anymore than about once a week anyway even when losing weight as anything more frequent is meaningless and will vary due to other factors. I would suggest pushing it out to once a month or even once every 3-6 months if not longer.

You are just short of being in the middle of the healthiest weight range for your height. I wouldn't try and lose any more.

Thanks for reply's! I will hopefully stick at this weight and enjoy a couple of food treats now and again.

I would continue with the healthy diet choices. That is a way of life. And maintain an exercise regime as much as you can. But don't calorie count or go hungry. You will probably eat less now you are lighter anyway. Put the scales away unless you notice dramatic changes.

yep, it's all about perception I think... but that is light for what I'd say is your age and height etc...I'd personally take heed of what your wife says...

Last edited:
I am actually in a similar position. I'm 55, and 5ft 8ins. During my teens and 20's, I was pretty skinny (I've always had a light build). Maybe around 10 stone. Then as I got older I put on weight and was averaging around 11st or so. I took early retirement December last year, and decided I needed to make some major lifestyle changes. I was 11st 4lbs at the time. I was never unfit, but certainly not fit!
I always used to swim once or twice a week, 1250 metres a time. I increased this to 6 times a week, 1600 metres a time. When I was working, I was on expenses when travelling, and often had a Burger King or similar for lunch. That stopped, and I just had fruit. I do some voluntary work now, 3 afternoons a week (after my swim!) and that's all standing up and moving around, so I guess burning more calories. And the big one - I stopped drinking alcohol. Completely. And don't miss it a bit.
The net result of all this is my weight plummeted in 3-4 months. It went down to 9st 5lbs. I felt great, but I just knew it was too low.
I think that cutting the Burger Kings out for simply fruit was too much. Fruit's great of course, but I wasn't getting enough from it. So I keep the fruit now as snacks in the day, and have some tuna (or similar) sandwiches for lunch after my swim.
I'm now at around 9 stone 10 lbs, on my way to a target of around 10 stone. I realise my body will find it's own weight though, so I'm not too concerned.
I still feel fantastic, and the best thing is my routine has become part of my life. I love my swim, I can't wait to do my voluntary work, and don't miss my beers.
The down side - the cost of a whole new wardrobe.

I weigh 16 stone now and 5ft 8 but have put on weight due to the medications I am on, I used to weigh 9 and a half stone. The weight has slowly gained for about 4 years now. Any pointer or tips on losing weight? Cheers.

Hard to know what to recommend as depends on your current lifestyle and diet etc. However in general eat less and do more will work. There really is no magic answer but if you control your diet and burn more calories then will lose weight. Given your weight increase has been slow then it would suggest you only need a small change to reverse it.

I weigh 16 stone now and 5ft 8 but have put on weight due to the medications I am on, I used to weigh 9 and a half stone. The weight has slowly gained for about 4 years now. Any pointer or tips on losing weight? Cheers.

I'm 5' 10" and was 10.5 stone during my early teens. I'm 55 now and last year my weight peaked at 18.5 stone. Admitting I needed to address it was a turning point. I drank too much and ate too much of the wrong things. Plus did no exercise to talk of.

Now I'm 12 stone and feel amazing. Went down three trouser sizes and choose medium or small instead of XL in clothes. And the self-confidence has gone through the roof!

I lost most of my weight early on. Simply watching what I ate, starting a cardio class several times a week and cutting right back on the drinking.

It is hugely motivating seeing the weight come off. And people started to notice very quickly. It really gave me a boost. I also started running, though this has become less these days as I'm trying to build a little muscle.

Anyway, making sustainable changes is key. No point in skipping a meal and feeling hungry all day and giving in. Start with breakfasts. I have three weetabix, banana, 0% fat greek yoghurt with some blueberries or other fruit. And then maybe some granary toast if I'm still hungry. It keeps me going and allows me to make sensible choices at lunchtime.

Have smaller portion sizes. That's an easy change. Choose a baked potato instead of chips. Chicken instead of lamb etc. And get used to some exercise regime. Find a cardio class or swim. That just becomes a regular feature and becomes part of your life.

Focus on changes, not losing weight. You will get there.

Good luck!

Excellent post and Mr Blue Max is the real deal and has successfully controlled and changed his life and body. Fantastic achievement. I remember some of the early posts....

You should get the recognition and credit you deserve mate.
When I was young, up to mid 20s, I was lean, fit, muscular and strong from years sports. And I didn't understand how people could get fat, or get really big without knowing or being in denial.
Then life happened to me and I became fat and was in denial. Made excuses tried to convince myself that it was OK and I was happy like that.
Then i realised that I was that person. One of the things that made me realise it, was when people at work joked about me being fat, they weren't joking, they were taking me about the fact.

So I've got fit(yet) and lost a load of weight, but I've still got a long way to go. My top abs show through now, but that just highlights the spare tyre that covers the other bottom two pairs of abs. It's not that I don't have abs and muscle, it's just that they are still a little covered.
So now I understand the work and effort it takes to lose fat and change your body, people who accomplish it should get the cudos for it!

Very true mate and kudos to you too. I thought my flabby skin was as a result of losing so much weight, but alas, it's just more fat to lose I think. But I'm determined to shift it. Still makes me smile when I'm in the shower and my body feels hard. Circuits tonight though :smashin:

Just another thought - it is usual for women to worry about their weight, but men 'get away' with it. It's shrugged off with humour usually. It's good that men discuss it.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but i have a quick question.

I have started a new gym (going 3 times a week) and also started to eat clean. But after weighing myself after 3 weeks, i have only lost 2lbs. But my clothes are feeling loose now. Should i be concerned that i am not losing weight?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but i have a quick question.

I have started a new gym (going 3 times a week) and also started to eat clean. But after weighing myself after 3 weeks, i have only lost 2lbs. But my clothes are feeling loose now. Should i be concerned that i am not losing weight?

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight - depends on your current weight (what is it if you don't mind me asking?) - but long as you look better as this is usually a better indicator...

while we like to think you've replaced fat with muscle - I'm not sure there's be much in 3 weeks...

No! The weight doesn't matter at all.

What matters is the way the weight is made up, how you feel and how you look.

I've been plugging away at this for some time now as I stated with wanting to get fit and lose fat.

The only thing that has changed is I am now better able to make decisions on how to achieve my goals and make my goals more specific and my training more specific to my goals.

Some people just turn up to the gym and never break a sweat. Spend half an hour posing, checking their phone, drinking water from a bottle and buggering off.

You could try running. It's a good way of losing weight if done regularly.

Watch for 'secret' eating. It's so easy to be eating stuff you know you shouldn't, but almost hide from yourself. We all do it. Bits throughout the day add up.

And your body shape will change for sure. Slowly and takes considerable dedication, but it will. Three weeks is nothing.

And remember, you may have put on two pounds, so losing it is significant.

It took me ages to get fat, getting rid of it ain't happening overnight...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom