Question Should I look no further than the Samsung UE50H6400?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by kitenski, Jul 6, 2015.

1. kitenski

kitenski
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning all,

Not been on here for many years, but am looking to replace a Panasonic Viera TX-P46G10B Plasma HD 1080p Digital Television, 46 Inch with Built-in freesat.

Checking Which online every single Best Buy appears to be a Samsung, and looking at price the UE50H6400 seems a reasonable price at £549 on John Lewis.

The only negative I can read about it is viewing angles, we have two sofas in the room where it will be, one about 45 degrees to the side, one almost straight on.

So it will be for watching TV via Virgins Tivo, Netflix and the very occasional DVD. No gaming.

Simple question, is there anything else I should look at in the 48-50" size for similiar money or is this just a simple decision :)

I'm not sure whether I should be looking at 4k TVs or not, if so then the Samsung UE48JU6400 is on the 4k shortlist...

Thanks,

Greg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  2. MrSpark

MrSpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    The UE50H6400 gets good reviews but when I took a look at the TV in-store I was really disappointed with the picture quality. I think a lot of the reviews just either ignore that LCD has problems (unless you go top of the line in most cases) or the score is based on value for money.

Anyway my advice would be to ignore the reviews... pop into RicherSounds/Currys etc with a USB stick (of demo content you are familiar with) and test some TVs out :)

If I had to make a recommendation at that price point. Try the tx-50as650, it has a great picture (in cinema mode).. The speakers aren't great though.

4K wise there's little or no content out there. Lols like we might get Blu-Ray players towards the end of the year. Steaming 4K (if you can find the content you want) is heavy compressed and doesn't stand up next to 1080p Blu-Rays.

3. kitenski

kitenski
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, good idea. what kind of format should files on the USB stick be so that tvs can play it?

4. MrSpark

MrSpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Good question: I found that Sony, Samsung and Panasonic liked different video files. I can't recall the exact formats they preferred.

I'd suggest you have a mix of still HD images, e.g. solid white, black and 50% grey. That will help you stop any screen uniformity issues, such as banding. You can knock the images up in photoshop, mspaint etc very easily, just make sure they are 1920×1080 pixels in size.

Video content wise. I downloaded some (SD & HD) trailers online. There's no right or wrong here, just choose something you feel will help you judge picture quality. I went for a 1080P Avatar trailer and some F1 footage. If you grab a copy of 4kdownload, this will help you get content from youtube, if you can't find a direct download for SD & HD. Try the video's out on your existing TV (if possible) so that you have a good reference/base line for comparison :)

5. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Doesn't the AS650 also have an IPS panel? This would help with your viewing angle. I think the H6400 would struggle in that area.

6. MrSpark

MrSpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Yes the AS650 is an IPS panel.

7. davidpearl

davidpearl
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

I am in the same predcament - I am probably going for the H7000 over the H6400, what would people recommend out of those 2?

I have an H7000 on reserve and will be picking it up in an hour or two from Richer sounds