1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I leave my hot water boiler permanently on?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Educated Guess, May 9, 2005.

1. Educated Guess

Educated Guess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I have my gas boiler on a timer (comes on in the morning) and usually put it on for a few hours in the evening. I assume this is the most cost effective way of heating the water.
    The other school of thought is to leave it permanently on 24/7 as apparently it takes more energy to heat the water from cold than to keep it warm.
    Anyone have any ideas as to which method is most effective for energy conservation/money saving?
    Have looked about but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.

2. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    It depends on the type of boiler you havd I suppose.

I know nothing about them other than: my parents left their boiler in 24/7 (they used to keep it on timer) and the bubble burst inside?? causing the water to discolour.... which wasnt too good. They where told that the water had been to hot and caused it to 'break'!!

3. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If your going on holiday then switch it off.

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    unless it is the middle of winter and you live in northern scotland, then prepare for an ice rink in your front room!

5. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Don't know if it helps, but we have kept our immersion heater on 24/7 for the last 5 years(!) continuously with no increase in electricity costs, but hot water whenever needed.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It depends on the heater I guess: We used to have a gas heater that would not heat the water when on, it just had a small flame so when the tap was opened the small flame would ignite the burner. We used to switch it on/off just before and after use (for safety reasons).
    In my current apartment I have a more modern unit that ignites by electricity when the tap is opened (it's still a gas heater though) - it does take a minute or two however before the hot water reaches the shower.

7. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a 'routine' for the use of hot water then I would suggest using the timer. For example, if you always bath / shower at about the same time.

Another thing to consider is the bathroom radiator. Does it come on with the hot water? Ours does so we program our hot water to heat up just before shower / bath times to warm the room up. Not in the summer of course, that radiator gets switched off as does the normal heating.