Should I keep the DM38DAB or try the Marantz 6004 system?

beethoven

Standard Member
Reaction score
I currently have the Denon system paired with a set of Wharfedale 10.1s. The system is almost perfect for my needs. The only problem being the noise that the machine makes when playing a CD.
Can anyone tell me if I should be hearing this hiss?

If that noise is just par for the course when spending less than £400, then my next question would be is it worth spending a little more on the Marants PM6004 and CD6004?

I've not been in to test anything yet but if anyone has any thoughts they would be greatly appreciated.

No hiss on mine when playing CD so you should probably invoke your guarentee

It's a known problem. On both the Denon DM37 and DM38 the hiss is (most) pronounced when the bass and/or treble settings are tweaked away from 0, and may be more or less noticeable with certain speakers.

I've learnt to live with mine, but if you can't a system change/upgrade may well be in order.

The Denon is a good little system but it has its faults as all systems do really...

The Marantz 6004 combo will blow it out of the water with ease but IMO that's an unfair comparison!

If you demo'd the Marantz CR603 that would be the right move to begin with and you'll soon hear what a more expensive but very well made/set-up system it is, more so in comparison to the Denon but also, it does very well indeed in holding it's own against the 6004 combo (all be it the 6004 combo does have better separation in the soundstage but that's to be expected as they're very good separates)!

I'd say have a listen to the CR603 system with your speakers and then maybe demo it with some MA BX2's, RX1's and B&W 685's and you'll see how much better then next level of system sounds (more so with better speakers)

The Denon is a good little system but it has its faults as all systems do really...

The Marantz 6004 combo will blow it out of the water with ease but IMO that's an unfair comparison!

If you demo'd the Marantz CR603 that would be the right move to begin with and you'll soon hear what a more expensive but very well made/set-up system it is, more so in comparison to the Denon but also, it does very well indeed in holding it's own against the 6004 combo (all be it the 6004 combo does have better separation in the soundstage but that's to be expected as they're very good separates)!

I'd say have a listen to the CR603 system with your speakers and then maybe demo it with some MA BX2's, RX1's and B&W 685's and you'll see how much better then next level of system sounds (more so with better speakers)

I hear what you're saying. I suppose I am just eager to build my first separates system. I'm going to demo a few systems on Monday so I'll make sure I check out the CR603.

I agree witn peritus.

But on paper, the Denon CEOL is more of a fair comparison with the Marantz CR603 with both virtually having the same spec and price at £399 which doubles the price of the DM38. Both offer more with Networking, Internet radio, Digital input and a few other bits. With these, you should be able stream music directly from the internet or from a pc.

The DM38 is more on par with the Marantz CR503, but i'm unsure whether that is available in the UK.

Many positive things about the all in ones especially the ones above, but there is a downside. If something goes wrong, i.e cdp or network card, the whole unit (except speakers) has to sent off to be repaired and you are left with nothing until its returned (athough you could buy a separate streamer like SB Touch or sonos with would take care of the Internet radio /pc music streaming side of thing). If deemed unrepairable, then you are starting all over again. If a separate developes a problem, then you just repair/replace that bit or upgrade if you so desire.

However, separates albeit better sounding, are not without their downside either. More expensive, More kit, more cables (can get messy) and more space needed to achive the same outcome.

I agree with just about all that has been said thus far. When I first got interested in 'Hi Fi' I bought what I thought was a pretty decent JVC 'all in one' system back in the 90s.

I then moved house and bought my first separates system which comprised of a budget Cambridge Audio CDP, Marantz PM 4002 (30 watts per channel) and Tannoy Mx2 Speakers (which are still in active use).

The difference in SQ was amazing for a relatively modest £150 difference in cost.

Also, I agree with Don about cable management as they can look like 'Spaghetti Junction' behind the scenes. The point about replacing one component in a separates system is also valid and I keep an ancient akai receiver which I inherited in reserve should either of my amps fail.

Just a few thoughts and hope it helps.

Cheers

Steve
scorpion88

I agree with just about all that has been said thus far. When I first got interested in 'Hi Fi' I bought what I thought was a pretty decent JVC 'all in one' system back in the 90s.

I then moved house and bought my first separates system which comprised of a budget Cambridge Audio CDP, Marantz PM 4002 (30 watts per channel) and Tannoy Mx2 Speakers (which are still in active use).

The difference in SQ was amazing for a relatively modest £150 difference in cost.

Also, I agree with Don about cable management as they can look like 'Spaghetti Junction' behind the scenes. The point about replacing one component in a separates system is also valid and I keep an ancient akai receiver which I inherited in reserve should either of my amps fail.

Cheers

Steve
scorpion88

He's Back :D :thumbsup:

I am indeed - been working away for a while but yes it's good to be back. Expect further exciting and insightful posts.:thumbsup::D

Thanks Don.

I agree witn peritus.

But on paper, the Denon CEOL is more of a fair comparison with the Marantz CR603 with both virtually having the same spec and price at £399 which doubles the price of the DM38. Both offer more with Networking, Internet radio, Digital input and a few other bits. With these, you should be able stream music directly from the internet or from a pc.

The DM38 is more on par with the Marantz CR503, but i'm unsure whether that is available in the UK.

Many positive things about the all in ones especially the ones above, but there is a downside. If something goes wrong, i.e cdp or network card, the whole unit (except speakers) has to sent off to be repaired and you are left with nothing until its returned (athough you could buy a separate streamer like SB Touch or sonos with would take care of the Internet radio /pc music streaming side of thing). If deemed unrepairable, then you are starting all over again. If a separate developes a problem, then you just repair/replace that bit or upgrade if you so desire.

However, separates albeit better sounding, are not without their downside either. More expensive, More kit, more cables (can get messy) and more space needed to achive the same outcome.

Thanks, some important points raised. Although more kit doesn't bother me. Cables shouldn't be a problem if I can find a decent Hi Fi stand. And the room is a fairly decent size.

I think if I can afford to improve the SQ then I just must! :)

Cheers

Steve
scorpion88

Can anyone tell me how important the hi fi rack will be in achieving a good sound with this price level (6004s)? And what sort of percentage of budget is usually spent on such a thing?

Also, if you need to sell old equipment what would be the best way going about it?

As long as your equipment is placed on a good solid base then that should be more than adequate. My systems are mainly placed on the stands that came with my TVs. Such stands normally provide scope for sufficient cable management.

IMO the main criteria is to ensure that the amp has plenty of ventilation to avoid potential overheating - i.e. do not place the CD Player on top of the amp. Some popular magazines will tell you that different mainly more expensive and exotic stands will have a positive effect on sound quality. Some believe this to be the case but I am not such a follower. However, others may well have an alternative view.

As for selling old equipment, why not try the Classified section of this very forum.

Hope this helps.

Scorpion

Last edited:
That helps a lot, thanks. Hopefully my demo on Monday should clear everything up.

Good idea about the classified section although I might keep the Denon as a backup.

Im looking to get the marantz cr603 soon, hopefully before the end of the year for the free airplay upgrade.

Mainly I dont have the space for separates and extreme lack of use of CDs so wanting something more for my needs.

Sadly my Rega amp died so I can't sell it.

Looking forward to your thoughts after your demo.

Whatever you do...do not buy the Marantz CD player without listening to it against a couple of other CD players.

I foolishly was in a similar situation a couple of years ago and purchase a CD 6002, mainly because of the hifi mag reviews, one made it product of the year.
How foolish was I?

The other option is to buy second hand, as I am sure a lot more folk far more experienced than myself will tell you on this forum.

Good luck

Sadly I didn't manage to hear the CR603 today. I will give it a listen on Saturday though before purchasing anything. Airplay is not for me though. For some reason, wireless just doesn't do it for me. (Lots of heavy cables all the way for me!!)

The Marantz 6004 system paired with my 10.1s was just excellent though. As I'm relatively new to Hi Fi I wasn't sure if I would be able to pick out the minute differences straight away but I was wrong. It was very precise and I was able to separate the instruments I heard with ease. Treble didn't sound too bright at all - a problem with the Denon at high volumes. I didn't try any different speakers because I didn't want to confuse myself. It's something I can look into in the future perhaps. That is the beauty of a separates system.

If anyone can tell me different please comment. Otherwise I should place an order next week.

Also I plan to get the Blok Stax 400 to set it up on and a pair of Sennheiser HD598s. Without starting a whole new thread would anyone suggest a separate headphone amp?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom