1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I keep my stereo system?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by andy76, Dec 4, 2003.

1. andy76

andy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a seperate surround system and now debating what to do with the stereo system.
    Bought Denon 1801 and Mission FS1av and a Panasonic S75 DVD player. I know neither are exactly 'new' (dvd excepted) but it was the right price and is surprisingly good for movies given the money.

Already had Rotel Ra971 amp and RCD951 CD Player and B&W 602 speakers.

Is worth me trying to sell the stereo kit or should I hang on to it?
    I know the surround system is not great for music but not really practical to have the two systems running seperately.

Thoughts?

Andrew

2. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you've said it all there. depends what matters in your life, both now and for a while. I dont know the Rotel kit much, and I like my DenonAV stuff, but I'd say, if you can afford to - space and money wise - then keep it all and play it all.

back when I joined AVF I tried to have a Tosh sd220 and a Denon AV1602 replace 1990s yamaha cd separates and was disappointed as I my interest in music (CDs) was rekindled and the (then) modern AV kit couldn't hack it. I then began a long bout of upgraditis, only now coming to a hi-end.

with the combined AV/music kit you have, properly configured (*) you have potential to upgrade bits over time, but can meanwhile enjoy both worlds.

* not sure whether the AV1801 has pre-outs, but if it does you can feed the L/R front pre-out to feed the Rotel stereoamp and hence use the B&W 602 as L/R for both music and AV purposes. Or you can be perverse like me as have the music speakers as AV rears!!

3. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ditton15

I think you need to update your signature!;)

BTW, you never did get back to me with a price for the 602!

4. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    both true. I'll remedy now.

5. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I'd try and incorporate the stereo stuff into your set up if you can. I stand by my Rotel Stereo preamp (RC1070) and Rotel RCD971 and have coupled them with a Rotel RB985MKII 5 Channel power amp and a Yamaha DSPE800 for processing. I much prefer the sound and performance this way. I don't touch the DSPE800 for hi-fi duties.

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    About the simplest way is to connect the B&W's to the second speaker outputs on the Denon and switch to them for stereo listening.

7. degsy

degsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Andrew

I too have recently acquired a panny S75 to add to my Technics CD & Amp (driving B&W 602s). Like you, I am considering the next step on the A/V ladder and looking at Denon AVR 1804. Are you keeping the stereo kit or choosing the "one amp fits all" route?

Derek