1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I just give up?!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mattboyslim, Mar 22, 2005.

1. mattboyslim

mattboyslim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not having any technical expertise AT ALL but being a bit of a perfectionist, i want the best, like most people, I just want great picture quality to watch the footy, play my ps2 and watch dvds. At the moment my house is getting renovated so I have until May to make a decision on a plasma.

Up until a week ago I was ready to go with the 435-XDE but reading some reviews has put me off (slightly), now this new Panasonic V500 something or other is coming out and people seem to be raving about this?

What to do?!

Stick with my 28" standard widescreen panasonic TV which has served me well.

Buy the Pioneer 435-XDE and hope for the best

Or wait till this new Panny comes out (does anyone know when this will be?) by which time there will no doubt be something better coming round the corner

Im confused, fed up with all the researching and am seriously considering becoming a hermit, maybe im asking too much!! :rolleyes:

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    have a look at ekko's post below!

3. mattboyslim

mattboyslim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Could be a June wait then!

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    depends on how important high def is I guess

5. mattboyslim

mattboyslim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you were in my shoes what would you suggest?!

6. jiml

jiml
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm in a similar position. Problem is that this year there is the new Sky HD spec thrown into the pot. Most manufacturers will have to bring out TV's to work with that spec. While there will always be something new around the corner, I feel that this Sky spec is a significant development for the UK and will lead to new ranges from manufacturers within the next six months. However that may mean that the current SD sets are being sold at bargain prices (PW7 etc). But the new sets coming out appear to be have lower RRP's than the current sets which is probably why the current sets are being reduced.

Throw into the mix the new X-box due later this year with all games supposedly HD and the growing trend towards home cinema pc's which will also likely half in price this year and I think it would be short sighted to buy one of the current displays. Sky have also said that football will be broadcast in hi-def.

I will either buy a cheap system now and relegate it to the bedroom in a year, or wait till summer to see how the land lies then.

Alternatively you could start reading the DLP forum as well :eek:

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    i personally took the view that I would go with an sd screen for now (pw7) and worry about hd in a few years at which time pw7 moves to family room and new hd screen will be purchased once all the confusion over sky hd, etc has settled down.

8. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    [QUOTE
    Up until a week ago I was ready to go with the 435-XDE but reading some reviews has put me off (slightly), now this new Panasonic V500 something or other is coming out and people seem to be raving about this?

What to do?!

[/QUOTE]
    You have all the time to go and get some professional testing done on the Pio PDP-435XDE with various input sources and trust you own eyes on what you like or don't like. Go and see it for yourself. You will then know better what to do!

9. mattboyslim

mattboyslim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers for the advice mep, may go down that route!! :smashin:

10. mattboyslim

mattboyslim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I did view the XDE and it was playing Sky Sports News and i thought it looked quite good, but being the most indecisive person in the world started becoming a bit negative towards it after reading certain posts. There never seems to be any posts that start 'I love My PDP 435-XDE so much'!! Come to think of it there does'nt seem to be many about any plasma!

11. bluevortex

bluevortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    ;)
    I love my panasonic PW7 so much! its fantastic, better than any other plasma i have seen and IMHO outclasses any CRT. I would never be without it. Best money ive spent.
    I dont care about HD, the picture is great as it is. DVD through component looks even better. As far as im concerned HD is an upgrade for many years down the line. i dont really care about Sky HD service, im happy with it the way it is (even using using sync blaster). Personally for DVD viewing im not bothered about HD either mainly because of the price. no way im paying that for a player. i will wait until HD plasmas,Sky HD, HD DVD players and HD discs are alot more competitive in price and readily available.

everyone who's waiting for HD, enjoy your wait

mattboyslim, my xbox is hooked through my skybox and looks good. this could be improved with component leads but personally imhappy the way it is.

Just my opinion

blue ;)

12. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was in the same position a couple of months ago in deciding about the 435XDE. Shop demos were rubbish, mixed reports on this forum about buzzing, picture quality etc. Having bought the 435XDE I can honestly say that it was well worth the money. All the fears about buzzing and PQ have gone away. If the PQ isn't right then it's the source not the plasma. I have been particularly impressed by Freeview. It has never crashed/locked up like I get on my Nokia 221T linked to the same aerial. The picture quality is superb and on some programmes difficult to distinguish from DVD quality. Also the DVD quality at its best is sometimes difficult to distinguish from HD quality (I'm able to play HD downloaded demos from the Microsoft website). HD demonstrations are breath taking.

I would say the key message is to make sure that you have good freeview and Sky signal (strength and quality). If you have then you will not be disappointed with the 435XDE. I've also chosen a Pioneer Amp and Pioneer DVD player which has the big advantage of controlling everything through one remote and by pointing it at the screen. The DVD/Amp can be neatly locked away in a cabinet at the side.

Just do it !!!.

13. mattboyslim

mattboyslim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers for the advice blue and mattyboy! Much appreciated :smashin:

14. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    That pretty much sums up how i feel but i'm an avid gamer and both the Xenon and PS3 will support HD and will be out around christmas. I'm going to wait and see what the new Vieras are like in a few months and go from there.

Everyone goes on about how sky will be the driving force behind HD but i beleive it will be the PS3 and Xenon. More of them will be sold then Sky will sell HD subscriptions and the target market for the console have a high disposable income. PC hardware sales show how gamers are willing to pay large amounts to get the best out of their games and when every game review comments on how much better it looks in HD they will want an HD display.

15. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just about to buy a 505XDE mate...but with the help of the magnificent people here i ditn cos htere is much better out there for HD and full compliance with HDMI/DVD-I so im now lookiong at the new 40 series Fujitsu 50 incher which does everything the Pioneer does but has better PQ ..I will ahve that fully ISFed by Piers ...then I am gettin an iScan HD+ scaler at some oint .

best of lcuk and do look at teh Fuji or comapte both when the new Panny comes out
    Thats all I need to be future proof and get the very best pic for my hard enarned money!!!