Should I just buy a cheapy?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by the_sanguine, Dec 31, 2004.

1. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've been looking to buy a DVD recorder for a few weeks now and have read all the info I can. All I really want to do is record off Sky and play the recordings on a laptop when I'm away from home. I drifted towards the Panasonics originally but then started to believe that the RAM discs wouldn't play on my PC. Then I looked into the Pioneer but was put off be the thought of spending 20 mins finalising the -RW discs. So, looking at +R/RW, I was put off by the Philips Horror stories.....or just a cheapy.

Next up was the new range on Sony's. -/+ dual mode sounded great....then, I understood that all machines won't record in dolby/digital.

I'm wondering if I should just get a cheapy for £110-£130 and then replace in a few years.

What are your thoughts? I've head good reports about the Mica at Sainsburys or the Pacific at Asda.

2. hammy

hammy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was going to post in your last thread but got sidetracked.

If you find out which drive you have in your laptop there is a very good chance it may play Ram discs. If you can get the drive number you can check the Toshiba site to see if it reads Ram discs. Quite a few of their drives (including the slim ones in the laptops) will read Ram discs. If it does then that always gives you the option of going for a Panasonic if you still wish too or if not at least it gives you more recorders to choose from.

Sorry can't help you about the cheap recorders, haven't used or know anyone with one.

Hammy

3. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    No! Don't do it! You only live once! Get something decent now that will last a few years!

As Hammy says many drives can read DVD-RAM (Toshiba, Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Hitachi and some Pioneer). Consult the PC GUIDE thread (also linked to in the FAQ sticky) for a guide to which drives you could get that can read DVD-RAM. Certainly Panasonic and Toshiba DVD-RAM recorders are some of the best you can get at present.

Who told you that? It takes a couple of minutes max. Having got a DVD-RAM machine and a DVD-RW I do prefer the former as it doesn't require the hastle of finalisation - but it is hardly a major issue.

No they all record in Dolby Digital 2.0. They do not record in 5.1 as none have optical digital in (several producers have tried and audio sync was always a problem). There is also the issue that there are only a couple of DD sources anyway (Sky Movies) so it isn't an issue yet.

4. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Well i got a cheapy from Asda. A 4kus recorder. Although it sounds pretty cheap and nasty and certaintly doesnt dissapoint. Intially it had compatibility problems. Not any old media will work with it so sticking to the manufacturers guidelines does apply in this instance for media types. I solved it by using some Philips RW's. During the past few weeks ive written and re-written onto these discs and they have played in every player including my xbox and ps2.

It doesnt look too bad, the build quality isn't top notch but then again its stuck under my tv hidden away. Those are my only gripes. In terms of performance it exceeded my expectations at that price. The recordings are as good as the feed even on a basic scart (i have a decent one on order which will probably improve colour and contrast even more). It does everything i want it to do. Its very easy to use e.g. timer recording facility.

I actually found out its a re-badged LiteOn drive and can be found in Wallmart in America. They commonly make PC drives, i have one in my PC atm. LiteOn actually make their own dvd recorder drive reviews on both units scored 4 out of 5 stars in what home cinema (4kus in this month i think)...

I couldnt be happier with it. I managed to save a fair bit on some Home Cinema kit and cabling on the net so i put my leftover budget on this. I will probably only ever record of the tv and as mentioned the recordings are as good as the source with no noticable jitter.

:thumbsup: