1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Jump?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ROY_H, Jan 25, 2005.

1. ROY_H

ROY_H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Current television – 5-year old Sony 24in widescreen (not flat-screen)
    Sources – Thomson DTI 2300 DTV box (with TUTV Card ), Denon 2200 DVD (Prog. Scan ready)

For the last few months, I've been investigating purchase of an LCD tv. My initial impression is how rapidly they've improved over the last twelve months, but looking at them in the big retailers ‘warehouses' doesn't help to form an opinion. Currently I'm looking at the little reviewed Hitachi 28LD5200 as it's the size I'm looking for and is available at a good price on the Internet at present having been awarded 4 out of 5 stars by most reviewers when it was priced at 2K.

My question is, although most reviews of LCDs rave over colour, clarity etc., very rarely do they directly compare to a comparable CRT. When they do, it's often unfavourably for the LCD, often saying the LCD is good but not yet up there with CRT for picture quality. If I'm going to justify spending around a grand on a new TV, she-who-must-be-obeyed has to be convinced it was money well spent. Is it the right time to buy, or should I really wait. I know technology is always changing and if you buy anything now it's outdated within months if not weeks, but is LCD really ready to take on the CRTs of this world?

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You should not buy LCD if your primary concern is picture quality and you do not have the best of inputs. Im not saying that it is bad - the better ones should be more than acceptable for most - just that as an all rounder, a decent CRT will probably deliver consistently good results under most conditions where as an LCD will display what is is given, digital compression, warts and all. LCD technology also has a 'look' that is a little different from what you may be use to.

This is a highly emotive subject that people all will have their own opinion on. there are many happy people in this forum, just like there are many happy people in the plasma and CRT forums. The best judge will only be yourself and others who will watch the display.

-Ian

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Just noticed that you mention a model. You can probably do alot better for that sort of money (or much much less) if you were prepared to settle for a 26" model. The model you mention is 15:9 format (not the widescreen 16:9 standard) and may not be compatible with future HD services and media from Sky, HD-DVD and blu-ray as no mention is made in the manual whether the DVI input is HDCP compliant (unless it is specifically mentioned, HDCP is usually not implemented on DVI interfaces). HDCP is mandatory for future HD products.