Should I invest in expandable AV system now or just buy powered speakers?

TK MAXX

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have a Hi-Fi set up consisting of Denon M41 and Dali Pico Zensor speakers that I use with a Chromecast audio for most listening at home. Currently set up perfectly in bedroom would rather not move them.

I am playing Rocksmith 2014 and sending audio via the HDMI to the TV is creating massive latency issues so need to solve for this). I need to connect Xbox One via its digital output to external speakers, skipping out the HDMI output.

I have two options in my head:
1) buy something like the Q Acoustics M20, £400, (or older BT3s used, around £160) and connect them via a TOSLINK cable to Xbox One (to connect to TV I would have to swap the TOSLINK every time unless I can find an adapter for TOSLINK to USB-B? Could I output to RCA cable to the speakers? Any suggestions?)

2) Alternatively, I buy Q Acoustics 3030i as starter speakers that I could eventually expand into the full 7.1 3000i speaker package over time; and either use a) cheap, used stereo receiver as a stopgap or b) a fully fledged receiver that is future-proofed (e.g., Denon's latest)

Any suggestions for choosing between these two options? Should I just move the M41 and Dali to the TV and suck it up?
I am erring on the side of 1) for the BT3s because these seem portable and potentially could be used as rear speakers in the future for a surround sound using their line in functionality? Are they expandable in this way?

A question: are you looking at going down the route of a pre-amp / processor and active speakers everywhere? Or are you thinking of going more traditional AVR + passive speakers in the future?

A question: are you looking at going down the route of a pre-amp / processor and active speakers everywhere? Or are you thinking of going more traditional AVR + passive speakers in the future?
Thanks for the response.

In the future for home cinema, I would hope to have one passive surround sound system powered by AVR or separates perhaps. For listening to music, the Devon m41 seems to work quite well and I would probably just upgrade the speakers. Not considering to have a pre amp processor and active speakers, because as the Denon seems scalable.

For my multi room experience I use some smart speakers (Nest Hub Max), if active speakers be a better solution for this?

Got it!

I think you've got two environments on the go:

1 is your multi-room audio which you've already got your 'source' which is your Nest Hub. You can expand this to as many given rooms as you like, each with active speakers (such as your current and brilliant BT3's) but adding in whatever else tickles your fancy in the future (such as the even better M20's).

For your TV - I would perhaps look at something like the Denon 2700 if you want to start your surround sound journey now. It's their latest generation amp that's not going to be too big / overpowering your likely setup in the future.

You can pick up Q Acoustics 3000i series at very low prices at the moment.
Starting with your 3030i (best speaker in the range IMO!) you can start with a stereo setup (and input either via HDMI into the AVR from the XBOX and then up to the TV OR from the XBOX to the TV and down to the AVR via ARC) or you can go down a stereo amplifier route which will give you optical connectivity but it does mean a re-investment later down the line.

I am sat on a lot of Q Acoustics at the mo. Feel free to DM if I can help! I also have the Denon 2700 in stock too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom