Should I hear hiss from AVR-350?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ReferenceLover, Dec 23, 2006.

Tags:
  1. ReferenceLover

ReferenceLover
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

I just got my AVR-350. This thing looks and sounds simply amazing. I don't have TV (don't laugh) so I could not configure it properly yet, but it still sounds WICKED with my paradigm studio 60 v3 speakers. I had Yamaha RX-V536 receiver (really old) and obviously 350's sound just crushes Yamaha!

My source and inter connects are not top of the line either, but the sound is simply stunning. Right now I am listening to Dinna Krall CD and I can hear her lips moving when she sings which I was not able to hear with Yamaha receiver. Sound of instruments sound so REAL. It's like they are right in front of me and playing.

I mean, am I in for another surprise from AVR350 once I add a decent CD player and interconnects? I am loving current sound with Yamaha 5 disc CD player (using Yamahas DAC :rolleyes: ) with pair of 2$ RCA cable :thumbsup: Don't worry, I am leaning towards to buy either Arcam, Rega, or Cambridge Audio CD player and sliver cable interconnects

The sonic accuracy of AVR350 is probably the best out of all receivers. ;)

Oh.. Did I mention that this device looks pretty sleek? Especially black. Matte black with dull sliver buttons work really well. It's truly neo-classic design indeed!

I cannot wait until I hook up all remaining speakers and test 7.1 channel!

BTW, when I turn up volume without feeding any source signal, I hear hiss coming from the tweeter. I expected this from cheap receivers, but not AVR350. If I configure it properly, will it disappear?

2. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Have you tried switching the Ground Lift switch on the back of the unit?

I would recommend completely powering down the unit before using this switch.

4. ReferenceLover

ReferenceLover
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crusty,

I tried switched from Ground to Ground Lift. But no luck. Any other ways?

Thank you!

5. ReferenceLover

ReferenceLover
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did some reading on this issue, and someone with Rotel receiver had the same problem as I am experiencing and this person resolved the issue by using "cheater plug" aka ground-less 2 pin AC prong.

Following is taken from: http://www.psaudio.com/articles/hum.asp

Cheater plugs are simple devices that convert a three prong AC plug into a two prong AC plug and in the act of converting three prongs, to two prongs, they disconnect the ground from the wall socket. Try one of these on the preamp, or the power amp, or both.

Following is taken from: http://www.pliniusaudio.com/questions/index.asp

If one of your source components (CD, tuner etc) is the cause of a system noise it could be due to a ground loop. This occurs when more than one item in a system has its signal ground connected to the power ground. Circulating currents in this loop can give rise to a hum or buzz. In this case try a 'cheater' plug (no ground connection) on the power connection of the offending item. You should also try the ground lift switches.

Crusty or anyone from from Arcam, would you recommend me to use cheat plug as a test measure? I just want to know if my receiver is defective of not (I don't feel like keeping defective item when I paid so much ...):lease:

6. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi,

Tweeter hiss and AC noise (usually a 60/120 or 50/100 hz hum) are totally different animals. The ground lift switch and/or a cheater plug might have some effect on AC noise, but they will do absolutely nothing for tweeter hiss.

No signal chain and amp is dead-silent and some noise/hiss is within the realm of normal behavior no matter the price of the unit: noise in relation to signal is why signal-to-noise ratio is a meaningful measurement.

If the hiss you're hearing is only audible at near-maximum gain and with your ear next to the tweeter, I'd suggest ignoring it as an irrelevance. On the other hand, if you can hear it at normal listening levels from your normal listening position and it's really an annoyance, then you might want to consider trying other gear if only for the sake of comparison.

7. dhoffacker

dhoffacker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to reproduce the tweeter hiss, on my AVR-350.

I can't reproduce it at all. So no tweeter hiss here, wish you luck in finding out the trouble.

Dan

8. ReferenceLover

ReferenceLover
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I checked under different setups in several dealerships. They all had hiss at certain volume level. Some speakers produce hiss at higher volume than the other. With my speakers (Paradigm Studio 60s v3), it may pick up hiss at lower volume due to high sensitivity of the speakers. Anyways .. I stoped caring about this issue, I am just gonna enjoy some nice music..