should i have a smart meter fitted?

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi all,

been offered free fitted smart meters from my utility supplier....utility warehouse.

the main advantage seems to be that it would automatically send readings via web ..rather than me having to do it on their website every month (not a big deal)

only thing that concerns me is any potential security risks with using them within my network..

so don't know if I should have them fitted or just leave it how it is?

anyone any experience or thoughts?

cheers

They don't use your network, the smart meters use a mobile SIM card to transfer data

Do a search on "smart meter" in General Chat.

EON Smart Meter - worth getting?

I think the problem is that different companies use different smart meters and if you change provider you have an incompatible meter.

They still work as Dumb meters, I had British Gas smart meters installed, 1 yr later switched supplier and they don't show cost or auto send reading - can still use the smart meter to obtain meter readings and to show usage in in kilowatts etc.

Its true though, seeing as they are all supposed to to changed to smart meters (wasn't it by 2020) its stupid that they are not using some sort of system across the board so it wouldn't matter if changed supplier or not!

I used to be a firm "yes", but the way they're being done is so (frankly) stupid that I'm a firm "no" now. They're also potentially exploitable, and I'd rather not have that in my house thankyouverymuch.

I'm not having one until I'm forced to. I have no desire to plug something into my mains that can only tell me that I use more electricity when boiling a full kettle than a half-full one, and that having the thermostat set to 25C will be more costly than 20C. I have common sense to tell me that.

Reading the meters quarterly and submitting the numbers is a three-minute job, so unless I'm missing something amazing these meters can do I'm happy to steer clear.

Last edited:
im the same im not having one till i have to. its ridiculous they are not universal and cant work with all suppliers. why when you switch doesnt it get sent your new tarrif data and update itsself

Completely stupid that there are universal!!!

Still handy to have so don't have to crawl under stairs or move half the furniture to open the meter cupboards though lol

I'm not having one until I'm forced to. I have no desire to plug something into my mains that can only tell me that I use more electricity when boiling a full kettle than a half-full one, and that having the thermostat set to 25C will be more costly than 20C. I have common sense to tell me that

That's not a smart meter, that's an energy monitor that's supplied with some energy firms smart meters.
The actual smart meter is hard-wired into the incoming electricity supply.

That's not a smart meter, that's an energy monitor that's supplied with some energy firms smart meters.
Semantics, arguably. A huge part of the push is the promise of near real-time monitoring and a novelty gadget to show what's going on and display costs. The other big part seems to be the promise of an end to estimated bills, which I don't have because I submit readings.

Imagine it has to be that way, because 'we'll hard-wire something boring to your incoming supply so you don't have to spend 15 minutes a year submitting readings yourself' isn't much of a selling point.

Last edited:
yeah thanks all....

I was thinking along the same lines as not being very useful to me apart from the ease of not having to send meter readings once a month ..which in the big picture of things isn't a big deal

don't really need to be told about energy use.....if I'm cold I put the heating on...if Its dark I put a light on etc etc

if you switch energy supplier you may find your smart meter loses its functionality and reverts to being a traditional meter.

The theory is they can also that they can do more sophisticated pricing. Historically there was the Economy7 (and slight variants) that allowed them to charge less for night time power when demand was less but with updates every 30 minutes they could actually vary costs by time, day, month etc. I'm sure I saw an advert for one company that did a 20% off or something for their smart meter users for a weekend or such which is something that could never be done with a traditional meter.

Will it work in your favour? Depends on your usage habits -v- peak periods. The headline is it'll reduce energy useage by ~2.5% but the other theory is it'll help level demand/ reduce the peaks/troughs

Personally, our meter is in a communal cupboard with others on the floor. The freeholders fear people bypassing the meter or patching into a neighbours supply and so we have to get concierge to lend you the key which you must then return within the hour. It can be a pain and so a smart meter would be good for us because 80% of our bills are estimates

Last edited:
Best advice seems to be to wait, if at all possible, for an industry wide standard to be put in place.

That's SMETS2 and already around. Check with the provider if they will be installing one of those. If SMETS1 I wouldn't bother.

Quite happy to have smart meters to save me getting into the cupboard of Doom under the stairs !!

the main advantage seems to be that it would automatically send readings via web ..rather than me having to do it on their website every month (not a big deal)

Why not use the app? So much easier and do not have to mess around logging in

The first problem with universal smart meters is that all the data would have to do through a data collection centre (DCC) and after so many years no one has even come up with a floor plan for the building. I am guessing too many conflicts of interest.
Add that there have been instances of of smart meters reporting £20,000 of electricity being used in one day because they are built to a price without proper software testing and well...

I'm not having one until I'm forced to. I have no desire to plug something into my mains that can only tell me that I use more electricity when boiling a full kettle than a half-full one, and that having the thermostat set to 25C will be more costly than 20C. I have common sense to tell me that.

Reading the meters quarterly and submitting the numbers is a three-minute job, so unless I'm missing something amazing these meters can do I'm happy to steer clear.

Yeah I simply use the electricity I use. A meter like this isn't going to of any use.

I think it was just a mix up by Flashy, but that is still the selling of these meters

The theory is they can also that they can do more sophisticated pricing. Historically there was the Economy7 (and slight variants) that allowed them to charge less for night time power when demand was less but with updates every 30 minutes they could actually vary costs by time, day, month etc. I'm sure I saw an advert for one company that did a 20% off or something for their smart meter users for a weekend or such which is something that could never be done with a traditional meter.

Will it work in your favour? Depends on your usage habits -v- peak periods. The headline is it'll reduce energy useage by ~2.5% but the other theory is it'll help level demand/ reduce the peaks/troughs

Personally, our meter is in a communal cupboard with others on the floor. The freeholders fear people bypassing the meter or patching into a neighbours supply and so we have to get concierge to lend you the key which you must then return within the hour. It can be a pain and so a smart meter would be good for us because 80% of our bills are estimates

This is the only reason why they could be useful. The flipside is they could cost you more, and unless legislation is in place to stop the companies to charge over an above the std rate during peak times, this is what will happen. Without doubt, they will try and find a way of charging more in peak times.

I wish I could get one, they're not currently available from my supplier in my area.

Being retired, we take long holidays and are constantly suffering from estimated bills which do not take account of us being away and not using any energy, which results in the monthly DD payments being doubled based on the erroneous usage figures.

Best advice seems to be to wait, if at all possible, for an industry wide standard to be put in place.
According to money box this has already been agreed and set up so a customer can switch suppliers with out the meter becoming dumb.

However it needs a mk2 smart meter to work and energy suppliers aren't prepared to fit them to the mk1 stock is cleared, which is expected to take until middle of next year

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom