should i have a smart meter fitted?

Lee

I'd have thought simply disconnecting the battery first would solve that. It should flag up an error on the panel but shouldn't set off the alarm. You're effectively simulating a battery failure. Best check the procedure for dealing with that first.
I suppose each are different but my system can be put into engineers mode so that work can be carried out without raising hell.
I'll check those out when I get back and see who made the alarm or if I have an instruction manual

Lee

I see that a bunch of the bigger companies are making it a condition of switching to them that you must allow smart metres to be installed.
That's what has bought this on. I've done the comparisons and the company I'm with now are still the cheapest but instead of saying you must consider a smart meter which it did last year, it says you must have one this time.

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
That's what has bought this on. I've done the comparisons and the company I'm with now are still the cheapest but instead of saying you must consider a smart meter which it did last year, it says you must have one this time.
I only discovered this after starting a switch this week, all the big six make it mandatory. My current supplier Bristol Energy has tried yet again to up my direct debit yet again and cannot provide the figures to justify it and ignoring the fact that I am always in credit. Their customer service is also appalling so I have decided to go for one of the bigger firms.

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
Yes i changed to another contract with EON and keep getting reminded about the new meter and when can they fit, cant remember seeing it stated when i changed.
I dont want one of those meter's and not having one fitted so what's the worst they can ?
As far as i'm concerned they can go whistle :D
I am not exactly going to be standing here with front door open ready to welcome the fitters in. Should be fun.

Lee

That would be a fault you would think. It has a battery so it continues to monitor in a black out or the power fails. It might sound an alarm if the power is cut to cover if somebody switches off the power to get around the alarm but if so you can cancel it.
After reading around it looks like you are right and I have been wrong with how it works.

It looks like the reason the alarm sounds and I can't cancel it is because the battery is dead in the control box. The alarm continues to ring due to another battery which is in the sounder box.

I have a card from the installation that says to have the alarm serviced after 1 year. It's been 22 years so a bit overdue.

leedebs

Had smart meter fitted over a year ago. No issues. With EDF & they supply a handy display unit. Not sure of the concerns of having one fitted and at least I dont need to read the meter now (no big deal tbh😁)

King Tones

Distinguished Member
After reading around it looks like you are right and I have been wrong with how it works.

It looks like the reason the alarm sounds and I can't cancel it is because the battery is dead in the control box. The alarm continues to ring due to another battery which is in the sounder box.

I have a card from the installation that says to have the alarm serviced after 1 year. It's been 22 years so a bit overdue.
We had the same issue with ours a few years back. 1 month old daughter and Power cut for nearly 4 hours during the night. That was a fun night for me, the wife, daughter and neighbours. We rang a local security company and explained the situation as the alarm is about 15 years old and they sent someone out and replaced the backup battery and rebooted the system. Cost about £120 for Battery and an Hours Labour but worth the money knowing we would have a good night's sleep next time a power cut happened. I am certain the neighbours would of happily chipped in.

sergiup

Distinguished Member

That might explain why one of our neighbours' alarm did the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago during a power cut, mercifully that happened during the day. Good sleuthing!

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I see that a bunch of the bigger companies are making it a condition of switching to them that you must allow smart metres to be installed.
The provider I switched to don't do smart meters :thumbsup:
They agree, it is something to go wrong for little or no benefit.

Spiderkid

Had smart meter fitted over a year ago. No issues. With EDF & they supply a handy display unit. Not sure of the concerns of having one fitted and at least I dont need to read the meter now (no big deal tbh😁)
Same here, no issues so far, and less hassle of providing meter readings - and in theory the bills are more accurate. I don't use the display unit (just another thing to take up worktop real estate and a plug socket!). I prefer to use the app, although it's not as good as the Scottish Power app which gave you interactive graphs of your energy usage and clear projections for spend over the next 6 months based on previous trends.

outoftheknow

Distinguished Member
Not sure of the concerns of having one fitted a
As long as it is cheaper over there they are fine. Here one or two companies use a demand charge plan for a smart meter which charges like a wounded rhino in evening peak. Electric cooking and it is expensive. Also some charge a daily supply charge for having a smart meter. If I changed to one provider here and took a smart meter, my daily supply charge would increase by 55%.

they were supposed to reduce costs with remote reading - can’t say I’m surprised how it went here though.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
I got a smart meter, then changed suppliers - now it's just a normal meter, but it has a display unit so at least I don't need to leopard crawl under the stairs each month.

outoftheknow

Distinguished Member
LOL! Yeh the backup batteries should be changed now and then - I usually do it every 3-5 years. The instructions are usually important since there are a few sequences that matter when opening the box and disconnecting the battery - including a special way to reset the keypad and warning. :thumbsup:

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
I really don't see the point if the little monitor that you get with these meters although having seen the ads the government would have you believe that they will help save the planet, not sure how as they only show the total energy you are using but not where or what is using it.

So what do I do, go around the flat flicking switches off, rushing back to the monitor and checking the reading, rinse and repeat with nothing learnt at the end of the nonsense?

Last edited:

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
So what do I do, go around the flat flicking switches off, rushing back to the monitor and checking the reading, rinse and repeat with nothing learnt at the end of the nonsense?
The one I received from Bulb has a rechargeable battery, so can be taken around the house. Could be useful for checking if anything normally left on standby is worth powering off instead. So no "rushing" & disagree that there's nothing to learn, although your circumstances may differ.

Really don't get the hatred of them, especially gen 2.

leedebs

I really don't see the point if the little monitor that you get with these meters although having seen the ads the government would have you believe that they will help save the planet, not sure how as they only show the total energy you are using but not where or what is using it.

Its a monitor, you dont have to use it. For us its just a general reminder of how much we use & I guess if we notice a jump from the norm its a trigger to either check whats wrong or swap supplier;)
Sitting in the dark with no heating (only laptop on) so not using much today:)

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
We saved quite a bit with our monitor when we got it back in 2012 - people's mileage will vary I guess.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Same here - it requires effort which I think some are allergic to. For me I love any input feed of new stats - particularly if it means I can save a few bob.

mitchec1

Distinguished Member
7 week's in no issues with our smets 2.

Finding the half hour breakdown on our app useful.

Don't see issue personally now the smets 2 are out, but what works for me obviously doesn't for some.

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
I know a guy who works for a company that installs smart metres and he was telling me that for the most part he is still fitting SMETS 1, Had a look at what E-ON are fitting and I get this.

An Eon spokesperson said: 'We install SMETS2 wherever possible for our customers and where we can't, we'll install a SMETS1 meter which will be enrolled into the DCC remotely, meaning it will operate as a SMETS2.

No danger am I having a SMETS 1 fitted.

tigermad

Distinguished Member
The one I received from Bulb has a rechargeable battery, so can be taken around the house. Could be useful for checking if anything normally left on standby is worth powering off instead. So no "rushing" & disagree that there's nothing to learn, although your circumstances may differ.

Hi, I'm with bulb and wanted a smart meter but was put off by the data not being sent through to them and the display not working. Loads of people complaining on their forums.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Set myself targets to reach and give myself a little pat on the back and a mirror high five when I reach them on my Smart meter.
Had plenty of the scare stories at work as I was the first to have one fitted and now the others have had them fitted.

Last edited:

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Hi, I'm with bulb and wanted a smart meter but was put off by the data not being sent through to them and the display not working. Loads of people complaining on their forums.
You were put off having something at zero cost to you because it might not work? :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Latest News

QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299