should i have a smart meter fitted?

Don’t plan on having one. I messed up what I thought was a funny quip, it likes like a jibe, it wasn't. I was reminded of a comment from some John Glen (??) as to why they should worry after all the rockets they were riding had gone out to tender and the lowest bidder won or something.

Should you need to, how do you turn it into a dumb meter.

I saved £300 per year switching from Eon to another supplier :D
I suspect you would have saved moving to any other company. EON aren’t renowned for being the cheapest.

I suspect you would have saved moving to any other company. EON aren’t renowned for being the cheapest.
I think there are a lot of people like me that just went with it. People need to shop around. My price drops started to come in moving away from the large usual suspects. At the moment it is Avro Power for me. Now I will be looking at small drops but I have substantially dropped the level I am on.

It is quite common that old meters are inaccurate to some degree. I did read though that smart meters are more likely to read inaccurately but that was down to the software which I am sure they have sorted now.
Please don't assume these companies know what they are doing with the software... ;) :)

I'm still refusing to have one fitted. Fed up the phone calls claiming that will save me money. Testicles to that. People are still having problems with them and changing supplier is high on the list.

'My smart meter is driving me mad'

A smart meter will not save you money. You don't get cheaper electricity or gas with one. Full stop.
If you happen to keep yourself glued to the monitor that comes with it every time you switch something on, you might not switch it on for as long or as often, but that is just common sense.

I definitlely saved money with my monitor - this long predates my smart meter.

I don’t tend leave things switched on that I’m not using, or use things that I don’t need to. Don’t need a monitor or smart meter for that.

Yes, if you switch everything off at the wall you aren't using you can't do better than that.

I use the energy I need/want to.
Why should I spend time watching that?

I use the energy I need/want to.
Why should I spend time watching that?

A lot of people will be using energy they don't need/want to/expect, or may be surprised about the energy costs of devices that on standby, or even old, inefficient devices they would profit from replacing.

But yes as above you don't need a smart meter to fix this, just a monitor.

Why are they called " Smart meter" ? What do they do?
They are (incorrectly) called smart meters, they do not receive information or control anything. What they do is periodically report gas and/or electricity consumption to the supplier.
That's it.
There are claims that they will improve power grid efficiency but I don't see how, there will be monitoring at other points so if anyone does know could they post that?
[Update]
It turns out the idea is in time the data will be used to manage the energy networks more efficiently e.g. by being able to make better use of capacity so there is less money spent on capacity.

Last edited:
Why are they called " Smart meter" ? What do they do?
They are smart for the supplier, not really the user. They can remotely read, update FW, change your tariff, disconnect you etc etc

There is also the potential to have a tariff that is truly flexible to times of peak and low demand.

There is also the potential to have a tariff that is truly flexible to times of peak and low demand.
And also the option to change from what would be a lower at to a higher rate at the whim of the supplier. I don't know what protections are in place for the consumer.

As above, Smart meters (when working) can't save you money. However, they can make you aware of what devices consume the most etc, which may or may not help you manage how you use energy. The big advantage of smart meters is to the supplier. Like it or not, they are being rolled out across the world, with various degrees of public support/hostility/indifference.

BTW my current supplier (ESB UK) don't support smart meters so that simplifies things.
They are however, a large investor (over £2bn) in renewable energy.

BTW my current supplier (ESB UK) don't support smart meters so that simplifies things.
They are however, a large investor (over £2bn) in renewable energy.
Mine do, but aren't pushy at all. Another reason to love Bulb.
£75 free electricity/gas until end of the day today if anyone wants a referral.
100% renewable electricity as well.

By that standard (producing more renewable energy than they supply) ESB are well over 100%!.

We have it here for those with a smart meter. Every day in peak period (5-8pm) the meter reports the maximum usage in any 30 minutes in that peak period. Then in a month the highest usage in kWh is selected and that is an additional charge called a demand charge. So say on one day you out on a couple of induction zones and an oven plus usual stuff at 6pm and use 4 units in 30 minutes. Every other night that month you use say 2 units maximum in any 30 minutes between 5 and 8pm. The 4 units is multiplied by the number of days in the month and that number of units is multiplied by a unit rate about 3/4 of the standard unit rate. You are also charged the standard rate for all units used of course.

They say it is intended to make you think about reducing usage in the evening peak but honestly what bollocks. The only way to avoid it is to switch off at the main switch at 4.59pm, use candles and wear outdoor clothes if winter, switch back on at 8.01pm and do the cooking etc then.

Hardly a boon for the user these smart meters.....

Who would have thought that the Government could waste billions on such a cock up? Well everyone not in the Government probably.

Rolling the scheme out with the wrong type of smart meter that only the initial supplier can use was madness. The version 2 is gradually rolling out but it means millions are left with pointless smart meters when they change supplier which everyone does most years.

What about economy 7? Can I dictate when it comes on and off? I only need it for an hour or two, not all night.

It's 7 hours typically between 10pm and 5am, but it varies depending on the supplier and where you are. But you can't shorten it, or choose what hours yourself.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom