1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I hang on for a ProV+?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gingercat, Mar 3, 2003.

1. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi All,

After reading all the rave reviews about the ProV, I'm strongly considering buying one for my AE100. Only thing is, there appears to be a new model coming out, the Zinwell ProV+
    http://www.av-sales.co.uk/plasma/html/prov_plus.html

Do I wait for this one? How much do people think it'll cost? As far as I can tell, the only change is that it has teletext (and different styling). I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I can't be sure.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Gingercat,

Compared to the ProV, this would appear to have different video decoding, including nicam - this would be handy for feeding a DPL II receiver for decent surround sound from onboard TV tuner - - alternate with ProV is to feed audio separately from VCR/SKY box to receiver.

Can't say much more, pity it doesnt do 852x480 - the Viewsonic VB50 (US verion of ProV does this resolution - be very good for AE100 - Viewsonic in USA wouldn't confirm that the VB50 would process PAL signal, and Viewsonic UK don't distribute it AFAIK.

All the best,

Sean G.

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Does anyone even use the tv tuner part of a proV, compared to the picture from a STB a uhf signal is genrally unacceptable, if you want nicam sound, what about routeing sound from your video and using the tuner in that. The only other thing it gives is teletext which I must admit I've never bothered with.

As far as scaling the image to a pj is concerened it wont be any better than the proV.

4. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Damn yeah, the Viewsonic VB50 looks pretty good - almost custom made for the AE100. I'm pretty sure its only NTSC from looking round the web :( Looks like it'll have to be the ProV then.

I suppose I'll wait 'till my PJ comes back from repair and make a decision then - that gives me about a month to decide probably :rolleyes:

5. donmc

donmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah, bought an aerial splitter and tried it but the STB gives a far superior picture for me

Cheers
    Don

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From recollection, it did look fairly ropey on the AE100. Better suited for viewing on a 15" XGA PC monitor.

Did a fine job with S-video though.

7. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Just ordered a ProV from SCAN. £102.17 including VAT & delivery. Bet it arrives before I get my pj back from repair :rolleyes:

Looks like I'll have all the bits ready (including an FLD filter) by the end of next week now - can't wait...

8. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just installed a ProV for use with my AE100 and I have to say it's been _great_ so far :)

I actually got it for the ability to run TV and VCR through it but the frame-doubling and use of the RGB input on the AE100 significantly improves the picture quality compared to the S-Video I was using before. TV reception seems pretty ropey but I haven't got serious about sorting that out yet.

Just hoping that I don't get the dreaded POP noise from my AE100 now...I keep running it in low-power in the hope that it will reduce the risk of that happening.

Fingers crossed

:rolleyes:

Lampsh

9. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I take it the American Prov(VB50) can only accept NTSC inputs?? I know its tuner would be NTSC only but if it could pass thru pal through it scaler/de-interlacer to its vga output then surely those of us that wouldn't be using the onboard tuner anyway (ie most of us) should be ordering the american version for its 856x480 resolution.