1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I go SVS too?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by RoughRider, Jul 21, 2004.

1. RoughRider

RoughRider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Bit waffly but in a nutshell is it worth shelling out a what seems a lot for a sub to integrate into an "OK" system?

I think I need a sub. I think the SVS PC+2039 would be a lot of fun. But would I be mad to spend £800 on it given the rest of what I own, which is a bit old (that doesn't bother me) but also quite cheap compared to the SVS given that the rest of the gear will produce 95% of the sound I hear?

My Yamaha AX1 amp was once a flagship at £2,000, I got it new for £1,000 some time ago. It is "bi-wired" (speakers A + B) to B+W 603 S2's that were £600 when I bought them, centre is a B+W CC6 which I think was £150 down from £199 and surrounds are Canon S-20's (?) £99 down from £199. My sources are a £80 Wharfedale DVD player (one day to become a quality unit such as a Denon 2900 or Arcam 78 etc.), a Technics CD player I found in my attic, at least that has a digital output, and Nexgen freeview (digital sound).

I think the bass is pretty good from the big B+W's and the amp is about 110W, so I think well what's the point in a £200 sub-woofer or something that looks quite small like a Q150, is it really going to pay for itself in terms of extra smiles etc? So I look for the best, find SVS, and then think, hang on, I would spend more on my sub than my mains, is that not totally overboard and mad? Thing is, I can understand the grins people describe from hearing theirs, I like D'n'B and metal as well as action movies and I can almost feel myself grinning as my lungs vibrate and the room around me rattles as the tiger tank rolls in or DJ Hype raises his trigger finger etc. Option 3 is a PCi25-31 or other £400-ish sub I suppose. I also really want a £2k M&K but only because the logo is so cool.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I believe that you would be quite mad spending £800 on a 20-39 PC Plus as it shouldn't cost you any more than £700 :D

With the £100 that I have saved you already I would think about upgrading the surrounds and the DVD player.

The latter wouldn't cost you a great deal if you looked at something like a second hand Pioneer 656a or similar. From memory those Canon surrounds were tailored for pro logic with a very limited frequecy range and are not up to the standrads of the B&W

To answer your main question - a classy subwoofer will make the single biggest difference of anything to the whole home cinema experience and it really has to be experienced to be believed.

3. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    My subwoofer cost twice the price of my mains and it's about the favourite thing I own!
    Sad but true.

4. kheraha

kheraha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well....thanks to all the postings on these forums...I've taken the plunge and hit the BUY NOW button at SVS.....a PC-Ultra will be winging its way to me very soon.......

Now to gently tell the neighbours.......

Simon

5. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Welcome to the happy bass band Simon, let us know how you get on when it arrives :hiya:

6. kheraha

kheraha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Pollywoggle.........I'll report back as soon as it arrives........its replacing a REL Strata III in my system - and I'm hoping for great things.........

Simon

7. RoughRider

RoughRider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Why did you go for the Ultra compared to the PC Plus? I am just waiting to get my quote and check on availability of the sound meter at the same time

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I had a REL Strata 5 on my home cinema and thought it sounded good,then i got the SVS sub which blew the REL away :D :D :D

So yes it will sound alot better than your old Strat III :smashin:

John

9. kheraha

kheraha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be perfectly honest I went with the Ultra so as to get the best I could now. I had a few chats with Ron at SVS about the room size etc and decided on on the Ultra based on that - and the fact that my budget (actually my GF is buying it as a gift) stretched to the Ultra. If anyone is in the Bedford area and wants to listen to the SVS when it arrives - let me know.

Simon

10. Diablo666

Diablo666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to upgrade the trusty mid range system that has done me proud for a couple of years and am looking at the Atlantic Technology processor in the power buy forum as a VFM product and will probably go for Genelec actives which I have heard and like.

Obviously SVS is the subwoofer to go for as so many people can't be wrong but I can't make my mind up which one.

I don't mind paying the extra for a PC Ultra over a PC Plus if it sounds better but how many people have heard both and is it worth the extra £300

11. RoughRider

RoughRider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey Diablo

See my Q&A with SVS below on Plus vs. Ultra, their opinion is the major difference is the achieveable volume with a minor improvement in sound quality at the same time, from the horse's mouth. For me, given room size and neighbours, that swung it to keep the £300 in my pocket.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: 23 July 2004 06:33
    Cc: rons@svsubwoofers.com
    Subject: RE: PC Plus 20-39

Hey Jonathan;

I just wanted to drop you a quick note and let you know that I'll get you a
    shipping quote tomorrow. That is the same meter. The PCU is also going to
    have a little bit better sound quality (a little cleaner and tighter) but that is relatively minor when compared to the SPL difference. I like the 2039 size the most of the 3 so I think you've hit the nail on the head there. All three should ship in 1-2 business days.

Erik K

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 8:11 AM
    To: sales-svs@svsubwoofers.com
    Subject: PC Plus 20-39

Hi,

Very interested in the PC plus 20-39. You have quite a fan club in the UK,
    I have been convinced by other forum members at www.avforums.com. I have 3 questions;

(i) Can I have a quote for shipping to the UK, I live in Wimbledon in South
    West London, postal code SW19
    (ii) Is the meter you sell the same one you give correction levels for in your manual?
    (iii) I understand the main difference to the PC Ultra is the driver, and
    that the main difference here is SPL. Is this correct? I don't need huge
    SPL, my room is not ideal (largish and open stairway) but I need to be
    slightly neighbour conscious and it's not like I own a small cinema. This
    is also why I didn't choose 25-31 - I don't need max SPL's so I thought why
    not go a little deeper instead.

I would probably buy with it a 3m cable and probably the Radio Shack SPL
    meter (just need to check availability in England, if the meter is the same price here then no need for me to pay shipping and duty and tax by buying from USA). What is the current availability of all three items - sub, cable and meter?

Anything else I need?