Should i go separate? Marantz sr7015AVR with kef R7 r2c R3

tripper4k

Novice Member
Reaction score
Dear avf member,

I have been looking for some Amp for a while, due to the feeling that on the same song. When listen to stereo mode, the R7 seem to deliver more detail sound also more bass(I have to lower the sub volume or turn it off depending on the song), on other hand when i listen to music on all channels (muti ch stereo) the front R7 seems to produce less bass and detail than the surround r3.
This is making me wonder if the front speaker need more power to properly produce the better sound. I do not really crank the volume up that much, i did not notice any pop or weird sound, Just quality i guess. The room size is a big space, my setup is in the open space. 3.2 meter width and 4meter length. The speaker is around 2.4 meter away from me, surround is just 1.7 meter.

, my system are listed below

Front Kef R7 with Aq rocket 88 cable
Center Kef R2c with Aq rocket 88 cable
Surround Kef R3 with unbranded cable
AVR Marantz sr7015
Sub REL Ht1003 with Aq irish red cable

I mainly listen to steaming music, many gens. Mostly soundtrack from some movie or some youtube mv(mostly they sound bad)

i have been advise to use buy anthem mca 525 over rotel 1585 and use my avr pre-out to pass signal to the amp. Im thinking about this option a lot, but
in the end i might still want to try the pre(av7705/7706) or other brand if it fit the budget.
so if i really need to amp, i got 2 option.
one is keep the avr and add some amp.
second is sell avr, buy new pre and new amp (sigh) it will cost me a lot more.

what do you guys suggest?
r7 need an extra amp? If so what choice should i go with.

hope I can help here.
Best regrad and thank you in advance for any comment. :)

Tripp

When listen to stereo mode, the R7 seem to deliver more detail sound also more bass(I have to lower the sub volume or turn it off depending on the song), on other hand when i listen to music on all channels (muti ch stereo) the front R7 seems to produce less bass and detail than the surround r3.
It sounds to me like it's working as designed. "Multi ch Stereo" is supposed to do exactly as you describe - reduce the front and play through the other speakers so that all have equal levels. It is targeted for use as background music at parties. The effect on the front sound stage of moving from two to three speakers will substantially alter the stereo imaging and the subwoofer will play a role in bass reproduction.

If stereo music sounds fine in stereo, and surround sound music / films sound fine in surround sound, I'd suggest that you do not need to spend money on additional amplification. The Marantz SR7105 should have more than adequate amplification for what sounds to me like a fairly small area (you quoted 12.8m2, but maybe that's not the full open space) at the sensible listening levels you're using.

That said, both the Rotel 1585 and the Anthem MCA 525 are nice 5 channel power amplifiers.

Given your apparent liking for upgrading stereo sound to utilize all of the speakers, I'd suggest that the Marantz AV7706 (or 7705) is not the optimal option for your specific requirements, and that you should instead be looking a the Yamaha CX-A5200. Review https://europe.yamaha.com/files/dow.../web_AV17-0237_CX-A5200_om_UCABGLVF_En_D0.pdf, pages 63-68.

I wouldn't recommend using multi channel stereo. Use prolific music or neo music or something like that

It sounds to me like it's working as designed. "Multi ch Stereo" is supposed to do exactly as you describe - reduce the front and play through the other speakers so that all have equal levels. It is targeted for use as background music at parties. The effect on the front sound stage of moving from two to three speakers will substantially alter the stereo imaging and the subwoofer will play a role in bass reproduction.

If stereo music sounds fine in stereo, and surround sound music / films sound fine in surround sound, I'd suggest that you do not need to spend money on additional amplification. The Marantz SR7105 should have more than adequate amplification for what sounds to me like a fairly small area (you quoted 12.8m2, but maybe that's not the full open space) at the sensible listening levels you're using.

That said, both the Rotel 1585 and the Anthem MCA 525 are nice 5 channel power amplifiers.

Given your apparent liking for upgrading stereo sound to utilize all of the speakers, I'd suggest that the Marantz AV7706 (or 7705) is not the optimal option for your specific requirements, and that you should instead be looking a the Yamaha CX-A5200. Review https://europe.yamaha.com/files/dow.../web_AV17-0237_CX-A5200_om_UCABGLVF_En_D0.pdf, pages 63-68.
Thanks a lot for the info. I’d been trying to figure out the speaker setting for a long time on multi-ch and normal stereo.

I will now probably listen to normal stereo mode since i sounded better.

I have looked up the yamaha. Before i bought this marantz i was choosing this 7015 and a6a but a6a price were much higher so i ended up with marantz. But you were suggesting the Surround AI, right?

As for the size of the room, it is pretty weird design, i will attach pic that i just took as ref. I don’t really know where else to put these systems. I am guessing i got ways too big speaker. I actually plan for r3 as front but wanting the floorstanding.

Thanks a lot for the info.

/ Tripp

Attachments

• 82299A7A-62AE-4800-82C7-D3DA02ADACDD.jpeg
    82299A7A-62AE-4800-82C7-D3DA02ADACDD.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 132
I have looked up the yamaha. Before i bought this marantz i was choosing this 7015 and a6a but a6a price were much higher so i ended up with marantz. But you were suggesting the Surround AI, right?
I suggested the Yamaha since you were asking about a separate processor (Marantz AV7706/5) and about expanding stereo to using all of the speakers. Yamaha is the only manufacturer of AV processors who is still offering DSP programs for this purpose.

Since you've subsequently decided to use normal stereo mode and are happy with the sound, the question is now moot.

You have option of adding power amps using the 7015 as avr + power or getting enough amps to use the 7015 as pre only

Then you have option of one, or many poweramps, or mix of stereo and multi channel.

Poweramps start at around ÂŁ500 and go upto ÂŁ100,000.

Once you get all poweramps then can change the 7015 with a AV pre. Cheapest is ÂŁ1000 and go upto ÂŁ20,000

Fyi the pre out stages on then 7015 are incredibly weak from asr

Attachments

• Marantz SR7015 Home Theater AVR SINAD vs output distortion and noise Audio Measurements.png
    Marantz SR7015 Home Theater AVR SINAD vs output distortion and noise Audio Measurements.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 121
Dear avf member,

I have been looking for some Amp for a while, due to the feeling that on the same song. When listen to stereo mode, the R7 seem to deliver more detail sound also more bass(I have to lower the sub volume or turn it off depending on the song), on other hand when i listen to music on all channels (muti ch stereo) the front R7 seems to produce less bass and detail than the surround r3.
This is making me wonder if the front speaker need more power to properly produce the better sound. I do not really crank the volume up that much, i did not notice any pop or weird sound, Just quality i guess. The room size is a big space, my setup is in the open space. 3.2 meter width and 4meter length. The speaker is around 2.4 meter away from me, surround is just 1.7 meter.

, my system are listed below

Front Kef R7 with Aq rocket 88 cable
Center Kef R2c with Aq rocket 88 cable
Surround Kef R3 with unbranded cable
AVR Marantz sr7015
Sub REL Ht1003 with Aq irish red cable

I mainly listen to steaming music, many gens. Mostly soundtrack from some movie or some youtube mv(mostly they sound bad)

i have been advise to use buy anthem mca 525 over rotel 1585 and use my avr pre-out to pass signal to the amp. Im thinking about this option a lot, but
in the end i might still want to try the pre(av7705/7706) or other brand if it fit the budget.
so if i really need to amp, i got 2 option.
one is keep the avr and add some amp.
second is sell avr, buy new pre and new amp (sigh) it will cost me a lot more.

what do you guys suggest?
r7 need an extra amp? If so what choice should i go with.

hope I can help here.
Best regrad and thank you in advance for any comment. :)

Tripp
You bought a multi channel but they are not designed around music of any quality that a dedicated music amplifier has been tuned for. I made the same mistake 15 years ago but eventually sold my gear & went back to dedicated hifi seperates & don't regret it.

You bought a multi channel but they are not designed around music of any quality that a dedicated music amplifier has been tuned for. I made the same mistake 15 years ago but eventually sold my gear & went back to dedicated hifi seperates & don't regret it.

Nothing stopping you having a AV system to surpass a stereo hifi. Or simply adding a AV system to your hifi

Say you have a high end cd transport aeus/beu,.with matching aeus/beu DAC, fully balanced stereo analogue pre amp, fully balanced power amplifier, line level crossover active biamping, high end speakers that are matched to crossover network.

The hifi sounds fantastic.

10 years later you add a trinnov altitude 32, multiple monoblocs, and matching high end speakers, multiple subwoofers m

Will the hifi suddenly sound rubbish? No. Will the AV system be low quality? No.

Movies sound better with surround sound

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom