Should I go KEF for new centre speaker??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by petitor, Jul 17, 2015.

1. petitor

petitor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I would be grateful to anyone for a bit of advice as I have only a limited technical knowledge!

I have just upgraded my AV Amp to the Pioneer VSX 924 from the VSX 1014. I am running a 5.1 system with KEF Eggs on the centre and surround back channels, Opera Callas Gold fronts and a MJ Acoustics Pro 50 MK II sub.

I love the new amp but the upgrade has highlighted how much emphasis is put on the output from the centre speaker when listening in surround modes. I am thinking that my ageing KEF centre may need an upgrade and had been considering the KEF T101 centre.

Am I going the right way or should I look at other options (upgrading my whole surround speaker setup)? I am limited by budget (isn't everyone) to £200 or less.

Many thanks

2. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +726
    the T101c will be a fine upgrade if you can mount it to the wall. Its performance levels place it just about the older Kef 3005SE's. Using an MJ Acoustics Pro-50MkII ensures that you will be able to play around with the crossovers and the levels to bring the very best out of your system.

Regards, Shane.

3. petitor

petitor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Shane,

I have the Pro 50 high level hooked up to the Opera fronts at the moment as I listen to CD's on my Arcam player and wanted the depth across the stereo ouput. I know you can connect the high level to the rears on the surround but wasn't sure whether the benefit to the rear channels would outweigh what I get in terms of musicality etc with CD's?

Regards

Chris

4. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +726
    I'd be a little careful when using the high level input with your kef eggs. In order for it to pass the full signal, you would have to take the eggs way passed their comfort zone, the speakers for the fronts are fine.

If your looking for extra ability from the surrounds, take a look at the E301 (rears) and T105 (Centre) speakers from Kef. Using the MJ Pro-50MK2 will enable you to use the LEF to its full potential this allowing the crossover in your Pioneer amp to improve the crossover feed to the speakers, then adjusting the level on the Pro-50Mkll to iron out the sub sat void. Then connect the high level to the front left and right on the amp and bind them with the speaker cabling you are already using for the left and right fronts ((High Level Cable) red and yellow for the positives and the single black for the left negative) to enable the full depth of the MJ Acoustics Subwoofer to fill your room with Cinema and stereo music.

When using it in this configuration, make sure you have the amp running in it purest stereo mode to all the full stereo signal to pass though to both products with music and revert it back to its cinema settings when playing movies and TV!

Regards, Shane.

5. petitor

petitor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Shane,

I thought the eggs might struggle and looking at the E301's they seem to have a similar wall mount so no more holes!!

One final question if you don't mind? The amp has a crossover setting which is currently at 80Hz. Does this override the crossovers on the MJ Pro on both High and LFE? The Operas can handle pretty low frequency. On the Sub I have the roll offs -High set to around 50Hz with the LFE at around 80Hz.

I knows its a matter of taste but am I about right with those settings?

Thanks for the advice. I love the look and build on the KEFS and will definitely audition them.

Chris

6. petitor

petitor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Shane.... I should add that on the Pioneer Speaker settings I have the fronts set as "large" with the centre and surround set to small. I think this means that the lower frequencies will be sent to the front but am unsure.

Chris

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    Front LCR - should be a matched set.

Front LR - should be set to small.

Centre - carries 60/70 % of most movies. I'd either get a matching Centre or try the system in Phantom Centre mode and let the AVR mix the Centre into the Front LR.

Sub - have you tried using it just for LFE and leave the system in 2.0 mode for Music?

Joe