1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I go High Definition

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dazed&confused, Mar 13, 2005.

1. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I thought I'd decided on a Panasonic PW7, because people on here say they're good and it looks I could get one for £1, 000. But after scanning through threads on here I'm starting to think hey, I'd want the screen to last quite a few years so shouldn't I get a 'high definition ready' one?

Is it worth worrying about (I know nothing about all this stuff really)? If so, what set I should I go for? Presumably when everything goes HD I would need to change my amp anyway (Yamaha DSP-AX750SE) but I did get it for only £200 and I haven't bought a DVD yet.

2. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't the PW7 HD compatable as, with the aproprate card you can connect HDMI & DVI cables to it?

3. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    First off you should always look at screens before spending. My vote goes to the NEC VR5 over the PW7 (or rather over viera which is the same glass). You need to see them for yourself since opinions on what is "best" vary.

The difference between SD and HD is about £1000. There is next to no HD material at the moment so marginal gain on a HD screen until HD material is available. Again it depends how close you will sit. Far enough away and again there will be little difference. But you need to see this for yourself. Find a good AV store and look.

My view is go for SD now, save £1000, and spend that on a new screen in 5yrs time when HD material will be as cheap as SD and HD screens will be £1000 or less :) . But that's my opinion.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'd second that viewpoint. Though the 'gain' from having an HD screen is more than you might imagine, not so much the HD bit, as the fact that the processing on HD models is usually in another league to the SD ones. But either a VR5 or a PW7 will give you years of enjoyment of current sources, and you can always put it in the bedroom or the kids playroom for gaming when you trade for an HD screen.

5. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Just tried google but cn't see much on NEC VR5. All I saw was 42". Do they do a 37" version of it?

Also, is Alexg correct that PW7 HD is compatable for not much more?

Thanks.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Panasonic screens currently have a problem with HD, they don't take 720 or 1080 at 50Hz on digital input. the cards are there but they don't do the biz. You can frame rate convert with a scaler, hardly a cheap otion though.

7. blzbob

blzbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW If I get the dvdo HD+ scaler with the PW7 will this processing look ok or will it damage picture quality (or melt the scaler etc if I use it all the time).

Also I presume I would need the HDMI board/cable to do this?

8. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    NEC is only 42in. The 42VR5 in silver or the 42VM5 in black. The VR5 has more consumer features so IMO best for home use (you can buy a black replacement bezel if you want the best of both). There is a thread on the VR5. You might want to look at that or ask VR5 questions there. Some opinions favour the VR5 over the PW7 and the VR5 has all the inputs you need, including HDMI.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The HD+ is fine for every day use, you'd want the DVI board, it has more input options. The VR5 is indeed another option, but be aware that 720P@50Hz is not a 'factory supported' resolution. It works, there is overscan, if it doesn't work with any 720p source in future, NEC will simply say 'I told you so'. So currently it seems a better option than the panasonic, ie we KNOW the panasonic will NEVER work at 50Hz except with basic PAL signals, 576P. If you like the NEC picture, it might be a better option, only a little bit more money too. I find they vary widely, maybe they are more source sensitive than Panasonics. Don't laugh, PW5 and 6 pannys didn't work with quite a range of Toshiba DVD players! It happens. My advice if going NEC is to duplicate the known good setup of someone here.

10. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I don't know why people say this unless it is confusion with the VM5 with seems to be mute on the subject. The VR5 and VM5 manuals can be found here . Read the VR5 manual and on page E1 4-2 it says:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*1 HD/DVD/DTV input signals supported on this system
    480P (60 Hz) 480I (60 Hz)
    525P (60 Hz) 525I (60 Hz)
    576P (50 Hz) 576I (50 Hz)
    625P (50 Hz) 625I (50 Hz)
    720P (60 Hz) 1035I (60 Hz)
    1080I (50 Hz) 1080I (60 Hz)

*3 Compatable with HDCP. Supported Signals
    640x480P @ 59.94/60Hz
    1920x1080I @ 50Hz
    1280x720P @ 59.94/60Hz
    720x576P @ 50Hz
    1920x1080I @ 59.94/60Hz
    1440 (720)x576P @ 50Hz
    720x480P @ 59.94/60Hz
    1440 (720)x480I @ 59.94/60Hz

Note: In some cases a signal on the plasma monitor may not be displayed
    properly. The problem may be an inconsistency with standards from
    the source equipment (DVD, Set-top box, etc...). If you do experience
    such a problem please contact your dealer and also the manufacturer of
    the source equipment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*1 is the RCA or BNC input (i.e. analogue). *3 is the DVI-D connector (i.e. digital). So the VR5 is compatible with 720P but only on digital. AFAIK HDCP is encrypted DVI which is the video bit of HDMI. So it is HDMI compatible but only the video. The audio will have to be handled by another box or fed into via RCA to the 8W stereo in the VR5.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Must be the VM5 confusion then. Note that last paragraph. This digital video is dodgy stuff. My hassles with a XM3 were with a 3910, 50% of the time it had about 30% overscan, the rest a slightly more acceptable 10%. No changes in settings, just a random chance on turn on. Don't take this as an NEC knock, it's not unusual, not the 1st time I've seen it. With Panasonic it manifests itself as simply no signal rather than strange image.

12. Andrew_P_S

Andrew_P_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another point worthy of consideration is the use of a PC through the plasma screen. If this is to be an option, either now or in the future for surfing t'internet or music, an HD plasma route is required.

13. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    It's yer typical CYA (cover yer arse) statement. But at least they do say contact us, not we wash our hands, although they might say that when you contact them. To be fair though, I've always found NEC very helpful unlike Panasonic who have never replied once to answer my questions.