• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Should i go for the Panasonic 37PV500?

E

[EVO]Beagle

Hi All,
having browsed the forums etc am now decided on the panny 37pv500.
Contacted JL for a price match with Currys including the floor stand and they have said they will match at 2014.95.

Given the new model's are imminent would i be wise to wait or should i go ahead and buy at this price?

Compared to the in excess of 2500 price this has dropped a lot in a short space of time.

Cheers!

C

crank

"GO FOR IT!"...DEFO, you won't gain any extra pixels if you wait for the new models and pay the new model extra price just a few more colours..And i take it that you've already seen the 37pv500 and liked what you had seen hence your decision to buy this model..so why wait and spend more. On a personal note im not too keen on the new design anyway it looks a lot cheaper than the pv500:rolleyes: I do like my av equipment to be black it looks classier.

longy

Established Member
i would wait for the new model the specs would suggest its a big improvement over the old one 10,000 to 1 contrast ratio :eek: o my god

E

[EVO]Beagle

So sort of how long we looking at for these new models?
have just moved in a new house and have a portable TV in the meantime.
Got an XBOX 360 ready to go and wondering is it going to be months or some time very soon?

In the UK that is as have seen some European links already on the forum.

Thanks for the comments thus far yes have seen it and fallen in love with the quality and look. Just dont want to do what have done in the past, buy it and then out comes a super dooper lower priced model in the following few weeks.

If it is gonna be months then yeah will get it otherwise hmmmm. Decisions decisions eh :cool:

Kevo

Prominent Member
If(?) you do decide then the only thing that'll really bug you is all those wasted weeks making your mind up could have been put to use on your Xbox360. In other words.....

:lesson:

XBOX+360+(n)PV500=HEAVEN :)
(Where 'n'= 37,42 or 50)

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR...........GO FOR IT NOW :thumbsup:

S

ScanMan

Maybe you should go for the bigger 42" PV500, according to the price match thread the JL Edinburgh shelf price is now only £1865

E

[EVO]Beagle

I approached JL in liverpool and this was their response

Thank you for your email enquiry, our undersales clerk has checked with Currys and we will match their price but will take into consideration the delivery charge of £16.95 making a total price o £2014.95 this is the price we will match for you.

Has anyone else approached them with similar results or better?

C

crank

longy said:
i would wait for the new model the specs would suggest its a big improvement over the old one 10,000 to 1 contrast ratio :eek: o my god

Not everything is as simple as black and white...You will definatley not see such a difference in contrast as from the old 3000-1 to 10000-1 as they are now measuring contrast using a different method. As is being used by a lot of companies just so the figures look a lot more impressive.It may be slightly better but certainly not that much of a difference better:(

A

abooker

Why not buy a 37PE50 for a grand less, and with the money you've saved, go on a nice holiday as well.:arty:

Then buy a HD plasma in a couple of years once the prices are more 'reasonable' ... :thumbsup:

pixelated

Established Member
longy said:

Is this contrast ratio measured in the same way as the PV500 though? Isn't it "dynamic contrast ratio" now? So in effect, 10000:1 is the theoretical maximum you'll get, but more often than not you won't? God knows :rotfl:

sofasurfer

Established Member
I have just emailed JL in Southampton and asked them to price match with Currys.I dont really need the cab as I will probably exchange it with Jl for a pedestal stand and pocket the difference:thumbsup:

Hope it all works out.

C

crank

sofasurfer said:
I have just emailed JL in Southampton and asked them to price match with Currys.I dont really need the cab as I will probably exchange it with Jl for a pedestal stand and pocket the difference:thumbsup:

Hope it all works out.
"SWEEEET!" you will definatly not be dissapointed ( its a great feeling when you first kick her up) and youve been wise to shop with John Lewis as they are great if any probs should arise:smashin:

sofasurfer

Established Member
crank said:
"SWEEEET!" you will definatly not be dissapointed ( its a great feeling when you first kick her up) and youve been wise to shop with John Lewis as they are great if any probs should arise:smashin:

Just got to wait till they get back to me now!Keep on refreshing my email account to see if they have replied.

Cant wait to get it all set up.

E

[EVO]Beagle

Have tried no less than 5 times to contact them today to get them to fulfill on this offer. first time i spoke to a lady who said that currys were now out of stock and as such could not fulfill.
Advised her that had received an email yesterday that said they would honour it at 2014.

She said she couldnt honour it and would get the sales advisor who emailed me to call me back.

Having received no response 2hrs later, tried at 2 hour intervals to get through to the person on no less than 4 occasions.

Keep getting passed around JL and things are looking a bit grim :(

will keep trying and let you know if i get anywhere on it.

Cheers!

M

Mark V

abooker said:
Why not buy a 37PE50 for a grand less, and with the money you've saved, go on a nice holiday as well.:arty:

Then buy a HD plasma in a couple of years once the prices are more 'reasonable' ... :thumbsup:

Do you really want to pay at least a grand extra for HD compatibility? Can you really see yourself paying four, five or even six hundred quid on top of that for the box to give you the benefit of watching limited number of HD broadcasts? many say the PE50 is actually better at SD output (which will still be the vast majority of programming for the forseeable).

With a little fishing around you can get JL to price match on PE50 at £999 or even less. Not so long ago they were even giving away a free DVD recorder worth £150 (in effect I paid £850 for my PE50 from JL).

E

[EVO]Beagle

Ok well thanks for all the input fellahs
finally got through to JL and they price matched the 37pv500 with the floor stand for £2014 with currys.

Arriving on saturday and so will take some pics and post as soon as its setup.

Cant wait for it now with the xbox 360 and everything will be like a kid with a new toy!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Keithcun

Established Member
Mark V said:
Do you really want to pay at least a grand extra for HD compatibility? Can you really see yourself paying four, five or even six hundred quid on top of that for the box to give you the benefit of watching limited number of HD broadcasts? many say the PE50 is actually better at SD output (which will still be the vast majority of programming for the forseeable).

With a little fishing around you can get JL to price match on PE50 at £999 or even less. Not so long ago they were even giving away a free DVD recorder worth £150 (in effect I paid £850 for my PE50 from JL).

Where do you get those figures from?As far as I'm aware Sky haven't released prices for the boxes yet,and Telewest says their version of HD,TVDrive,the box will actually be free with just a subscription charge of between £10 and £15 per month.

If you want to stick up for a non HD purchase,fair enough,but don't use make believe to back your argument up.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom