1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I go for projector Epson TW10?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ciarancummins, Apr 6, 2005.

1. ciarancummins

ciarancummins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm on a tight budget because I am buying my whole Home Cinema system at the same time, and moving into my new house too. I have researched around and think I have finally decided on a PJ.

The Epson TW10. I have figured the best price is from Dabs: £561.86 del to Ireland
    I plan to add an 1.8mx1m 16:9 electric screen from www.projectorscreen.co.uk for £215 del.
    I have already kitted out the cabling, Profigold 10M component, and 10m composite and s-video.

I plan to add to that a yamaha RX-V650 and a canton CD-1 movie 5.1 speaker set.

Is there any newer budget options I have missed that are better? (Themescene, Benq?) The cost of replacement bulb for epson was a consideration, likewise warranty. I like the idea of LCD as I can't say if rainbows will effect me, demo of 4805 didn't.. Since I will be sitting nearly 3m back, I should not see screendoor that much?

I figure I can always upgrade later and sell this kit on, should I go for it?

Ciaran

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have you checked for comments on here? I know a few members have one of these? On paper it seems to be a pretty good entry-level projector for the price.

Viewing distance per se doesn't determine whether you'll see screendoor, it's really the ratio of the viewing distance to screen width .. nearer than 1.5 times width you'll probably see some.

If you didn't see rainbows with the 4805 then you're probably not going to see them in any projector with a colour wheel of the same or faster speed.

3. FaB*Bo*Peep

FaB*Bo*Peep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my Epson TW10 for a couple of months now and can honestly say that I am constantly amazed by the picture quality every time I turn it on, (and I am not easily satisfied trust me) :) .

I am currently feeding it a progressive scan signal via a component lead from a Pioneer 575 dvd player, but even when I had an older dvd player linked up via a non progressive scan s-video lead the results were still awesome :thumbsup: .

looking at the images produced on screen it is hard to believe that this projector has such a basic resolution, the images look far better than the paper specs suggest.

Thats not to say that there are not better projectors out there because undoubtedly there are, but keeping in mind the price of the TW10, I doubt very much if I would enjoy watching a film any more on a more expensive projector, coupled with a decent sound system the whole experience is totaly incredible.

For the money I think you will be hard pushed to find a better projector.

P.S. I also have the Yamaha 650 - again awesome amp for the money :D

Good luck :smashin:

hehehehe Just spotted that you have allowed for a 10m ProfiGold component lead and I think you must have been reading my previous post on my projector setup as that is exactly the lead I have :D again very good performance for the money :D

4. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the same setup, (TW10 and Pioneer DV575 with component connections), and I am very pleased with it. My screen is around 85" wide and we sit about 11 - 12 feet back. Screen door is just visible if you have decent eyesight, but it's not noticeable when you are actualy watching a film.

Everyone that has been over to watch a film (and you'll find you suddenly have a lot of friends!) has been very impressed. You do need to control the light in the room quite well though, especialy if you want to view it during day time, though that really applies to any front projection setup to get the best picture quality.

In theatre black mode, the noise level from the fan is very low, my projector is almost directly over the sofa and it's not intrusive at all.

If I had one complaint to make, it would be the credit card sized remote is just too small and easily lost. I took a hint from another forum member and velrco'd it to the back of my AV Receiver remote. Of course a learning remote would be another option.

A few (slightly out of date) pictures of my installation at http://www.mikerj.clara.net/ht

5. ciarancummins

ciarancummins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback. I really think I am going to go for the TW10.

Q? Does a screen "really" improve the quality of the picture? I plan on projecting
    onto a flat wall painted magnolia. I would like to stretch for the £220 del 1.8m WSF electric screen from www.projectorscreen.co.uk, but can't justify the extra spend at the moment unless it is essential for good PQ.... I could hide it in the ceiling cavity at the moment, as the builders have not put the plasterboard ceiling yet?

comments/advice?

Ciaran

6. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    You'd be better spending you money on a better projector and a 20 quid Ikea blackout blind or paint a section of your wall white.

There are some cheapish DLP machines available if you not susceptible to rainbow effects.
    The BenQ PB6100 can be bought for less then 550 quid and has a contrast ratio of 2000:1 although will all these things, manufacturing specs need to taken with a large pinch of salt.

7. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    One other thing.

The specs of the Epson TW10 are very similar to panasonic AE200 which I had for a while.

The BenQ PB6100 was a dramatic upgrade in picture quality.

Pros:-

Much much better blacks. The blacks look like black instead of a dark grey.
    Much better constrast ratio
    Very natural and accurate colours. Skin tones actually looked like skin.
    Much brighter

Negs:-

Bit more louder then the AE200 but once the film starts and the 5.1 kicks in you can't hear it.
    Stupid credit size remote control
    you need to get a vga to component adaptor cable to hook up your DVD player.

8. FaB*Bo*Peep

FaB*Bo*Peep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I made do with a makeshift screen made out of waxy coated white paper until I had 100% decided on the size + placement of a proper screen. At the time I though that the paper worked well and it was certainly better than every other material I had tried but it was still not as good as the proper screen I eventually bought.

But why spend £220 on a screen if you are not sure ? My 16:9 manual Saphire black bordered screen came from a company regularly advertising on ebay and was £100 including VAT + delivery :thumbsup: Again as with everything In my home cinema it is a good balance of performance against price.

9. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I bought a 'proper' screen from the US and after a while found my 20 quid ikea blackout blind was better.