should i go back to sky?

reevesy

Distinguished Member
hi all,

binned sky just over a year ago and went over to a humax freesat hd box.

been looking a sky again ...especially with the all the hd channels availably now!...especially sky arts for live music performances...not bothered about movies or sports

was looking at the entertainment extra+ package ..with broadband....and one of the 2tb boxes which are on offer at one off 149 quid payment...the 55 quid a month
could keep my current broadband and telephone and just take out the tv package...not sure if this effects using the wireless side of the hd box?

...the 2 tb boxes look good...especially with the wireless capability....can these boxes handle 5:1 sound through hdmi yet?

don't know if anyone else has just re-joined or what peoples thoughts are on the service and boxes now?

..also is it best just to order on line or speak to someone direct for a better deal?...think current deal is 100 quid voucher

cheers

Last edited:

stewjoy

Well... When you put it like that
Hi.
I pay £32 for entertainment extra+, you get HD channels with this, to me it all depends what you want to watch, it's up to you at the end of the day .

reevesy

Distinguished Member
yeah ...just wondered peoples opinions....if they felt it was worth it etc etc

suppose could try it for year then cancel again..

had just wondered what was stopping new customers getting a standard box...then paying for the 45 quid upgrade to a 2 tb box a couple of weeks later.

would save a 100 quid ?

sky are pretty fly so i'll assume theres something in the terms?

cheers

logiciel

You need to get in today to get the £100.
The machines do give 5:1 sound when it's available.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
cheers,

got a link for a half price code.

don't know if this will still mean a 100 quid voucher?

Edit : apparently not

Last edited:

reevesy

Distinguished Member
well...took the devils shilling...got half price hd package for a year and a 2 tb box
.....mind you just found out that anytime crapolla takes up 500 gb!

being installed tues

looking forward to sky arts in HD

reevesy

Distinguished Member
well up and running.

hd picture quality appears to be a bit better than my humax freesat hd box.

got the the 2tb box...thought 500gb was 'put aside' for anytime and demand stuff but cant find anything in the menu to see where this 500gb is or whats on it?

on demand seems good...originally thought I wouldn't be interested in it but have downloaded a few things...not watched them yet....tv box sets looks good too.

though with the box it looks like I might have to keep changing the 5:1 through hdmi setting when I want to watch through my receiver...which I use as for video switching ie just the one hdmi lead to the telly.

if I leave it on the digital setting and just watch telly without the receiver on I get no sound and have to have it on the normal setting.....my freesat box use to do it automatically

twoeyedbob

thought i'd fling my tuppence worth in here..
got sky myself...on demand is really handy...customer service(in general) is excellent..
phoned at 10pm on mon night and issue with partly watched movie was sorted in 10min..talked to someone who was also in scotland :) ..makes a change from an indian call centre..
Downside however is lifeless 5.1 .. no dynamics, highs or lows.. quite frustrating with decent surround system...
It's 5.1 jim but not as we know it..

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
well up and running.

hd picture quality appears to be a bit better than my humax freesat hd box.

got the the 2tb box...thought 500gb was 'put aside' for anytime and demand stuff but cant find anything in the menu to see where this 500gb is or whats on it?
You will not find it on any menu as such - it is reserved for the Showcase (push on demand) content and is NOT used for internet on demand content. However it can take several days for Showcase content to appear and up to a week to be fully populated

on demand seems good...originally thought I wouldn't be interested in it but have downloaded a few things...not watched them yet....tv box sets looks good too.

though with the box it looks like I might have to keep changing the 5:1 through hdmi setting when I want to watch through my receiver...which I use as for video switching ie just the one hdmi lead to the telly.

if I leave it on the digital setting and just watch telly without the receiver on I get no sound and have to have it on the normal setting.....my freesat box use to do it automatically
The Sky box will NOT change between 5.1 and stereo automatically. In your case you need if possible to also connect your receiver to the Sky box via the optical audio connector, then set the receiver to the optical output, set the Sky box's digital audio outputs appropriately - i.e. "Optical" to Dolby D and HDMI to normal. This should output Dolby D when your receiver is on and TV muted AND stereo on TV when receiver is off. Simples.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
thanks...got plenty of digital cables laying around...shame about potential lifeless 5:1 though.

will have to see how it is...especially for sky arts/music performances ...which are probably better in stereo anyway.

also on sky customer help....was with sky for years before...always found their customer service excellent..especially broadband....never had many problems but every time I rang them things were sorted very quickly and painlessly

twoeyedbob

Live music(jools holland for example) seems to be less effected by this lack of dynamics...i'm sure it's there but i think it's more noticeable on big movies .

reevesy

Distinguished Member
well watched game of thrones and to my ears it wasn't too bad...could hear a few placed effects.

watched a bit of jools Holland as well which sounded ok ..though it was coming up on my amp as pro logic....via my freesat box it used to come up dobly digital?

though I have known it to flick between the 2 sometimes.

going to put a digital coax cable in later.

as I said before the picture does seem to look better on the 2 tb box compared to my humax hd box.

liking the box so far and the sky layout and epg....been impressed with the on demand stuff...especially box sets which I can see myself watching a lot.

now to got a chance to watch the last couple of the Italian romano criminal thingy which I missed when I last watched sky.

happy so far :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom