Should i go 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by alpina, Mar 13, 2006.

1. alpina

alpina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Would love some advice on whether I should stick to a 5.1 setup for our less than perfect room or go to a 6.1 or 7.1 setup?

We have a pioneer 506 wall mounted above av bench. Intention is to get at a minumum three boston acoustic P450 wall mounted fronts and center, bravo II rears inline with sofa with a PV700 sub.

Now here is the twist, is there any pt using an additional 2 Bravo's in line with rears to give 7.1 effect? I know they should be behind the sofa but its not possible. Ceiling is quite high (3.4mts) and ideally we would love to ceiling mount them in cornices. Other option could be ceiling speakers for the 2 center rears.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

Julie

Attached Files:

2. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I wouldn't say that room wasn't imperfect. At least you have a good square base, not the tv in the corner (worse scenario).

I think 5.1 would suffice, as i have a similar size room layout to your and have 7.1 but see little benefit and mostly use 5.1. It depends on the speakers though, mine are pointing slightly downwards but still over my head, cieling mounted may give better results.

3. alpina

alpina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks clarky,

so you have your 4 rear speakers inline?

any other comments for anyone?

regards,

julie

4. ghislain

ghislain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    My living layout is quite similar to yours (av equipment against one wall, sofa close to the opposite one) and I struggled with the same question.

Finally decided to go for 5.1 with dipoles/bipoles on the back wall as having additional speakers in the back would not contribute much to the overall sound field (being so close to the wall).
    This setup works great for movies and for 2 channel I mostly use the fronts only anyway (although I like to play around with some of the dsp modes from time to time).

You could use side speakers but I don't think that from an esthetical point of view this would work (they'd be kind of orphaned in the room :D ). Hiding wires could also be an issue in this case.

Anyway, would you not be satisfied with a 5.1 setup, you could always add some speakers later on.

5. alpina

alpina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi ghislain,

i'm pretty sure we will be satisfied - just thought that if we are going to go through the hassle of doing it, we might as well wire it all up at once as it will involve removing roof panels regardless. cost of the extra speakers is not an issue either. big issue is aesthetics (not sure if we want to see more speakers) and sound (will there be an improvement?).

also have a question about the front speakers - as they are on wall speakers, must i put them close to the plasma or can i space them out a little and angle them in (towards sofa). of course the center will be directly below the screen :)

looking forward to hearing more comments :)

regards,

julie

6. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    If you really want to bother with this - get just one centre rear. I know ppl might/will disagree, but unless you really have a big room, and space behind you to place the speakers, 7.1 is close to pointless.

I have heard the benefits of 6.1 on a couple (literally) DVDs in a demo room. Once we tried 7.1 (on DTS-ES material) it seemed to me that the effect was worse as the two rears where filling up too much. I'm sure users with some Logic7 pre/pros will find this is not an issue! But what amp are you going to run this setup with?

Given the size of the room, the layout, and the current (and near future) of current audio software, I'd tell you to stick with 5.1. Just my opinion!

7. alpina

alpina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Sniper,

Will be running a yamaha 2600.

5.1 saves me the hassle of connecting another power amp (already have it so no extra expense) for zone 2 (outdoor) speakers but i'm happy to do a 6.1 or 7.1 setup if you guys think that there will be some advantage.

Cheers,

Julie

8. ghislain

ghislain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have no personal experience with wall mounted speakers but IMHO the best solution will be to space them out to maximize and maintain a proper balanced sound field. Mind you, since these are generally smaller enclosures then floorstanders :rotfl: I would not space them out too much either (10 feet max.).
    Don't think that there is need to angle them in (but that you could try before permanently fixing them).

Sniper,

I share your opinion, for optimum 6.1/7.1 enjoyment you really need to be positioned more or less centrally.