Should I give TomTom any more cash£??

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by ace_brodie, Feb 2, 2009.

1. ace_brodie

ace_brodie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi all... some advice please...

My TT 910 died. I was really annoyed as i never really used it that often and felt that i handnt got my monies worth.

Anyway, im going to buy a new Satnav and started looking at the 930t and the new 940.

Basically, i always like to buy the best if i can. I dont need to drive that much but when i do, it includes the occasional trip to Europe and the USA. So i need a Sat nav with all maps.

I am also looking for a nice big display and as many other pratical feature such as updates routes and speed cameras.

But i loath giving TomTom any more cash (but will if i have to...). So what other sat navs should i consider? And, if it comes down to the 930 vs 940 which should i go for? i understand the live services have been plagued and i dont know if i will need that level of traffic feedback...?

thanks

Andy

PS Any good uk review sites... not prices, actual reviews and comparisons? TA!

2. stug45

stug45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    the live units cost more in the long run as they have a subscription fee to the live services they provide.

3. Anoraknophobia

Anoraknophobia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm a bit annoyed with Tom Tom also. The map on my Sat Nav wasn't up to date when I bought it (didn't even have a big roundabout just down the road from me that's been there for two years) and they expect me to pay about 60 quid for an updated map !:mad: The battery on my Sat Nav was also useless after using it for only a few month - As soon as I plug the Sat Nav out of the "lighter socket" now it dies....:mad:

4. ace_brodie

ace_brodie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    hmm... so what are the alternatives given my requirements?

ac

5. pl34

pl34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Spookily enough I was going to post a near identical thread tonight, my 910 now wont charge in car and if I charge indoors overnight wont hold more than 25% battery.

Second TT I have had, neither lasted that long - think its time for a change...

6. RobinDB

RobinDB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    In one word - NO

I got rid of my TT unit in december, I just had enough after same old crap from TT.

moved over to garmin

not regretted it at all.

robin..

7. sidandlil

sidandlil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had loads of crap with my tomtom one xl. sent it back to them and they returned it saying there was nothing wrong. after much trouble, i managed to get refund from argos for it. went out and got a garmin and it is a revelation, no more losing signal or crashing, no freezes. all it does is get me where i need to go and i can at last trust it whereas i never could trust the tomtom. i couls guarantee it would always crash when i was in a strange town or city. had the garmin some weeks now and love it to bits.ok it has some features missing, but it also has stuff tomtom didnt. excellent kit, 265 WT

8. l-mac

l-mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've been trying to find sites with reviews (though I'm looking at the cheaper end of the market as I won't be using the sat nav that much - mainly thinking of buying it for my holiday this summer). I've found a few, but it's hard to find one that has them all - and I'm still pretty much at a loss as to what one to get....

Anyway, some links for you to have a look at:

cnet uk top rated handhelds

cnet uk handheld sat nav reviews

Trusted Reviews sat navs

Technical Itch sat nav reviews

Review Centre satellite navigation

I'm also interested in the price of map updates for the various systems. £60 seems an extortionate price for an updated map but I don't think any of them are cheap :thumbsdow

9. geebeeone

geebeeone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Get a Navigo V2 from WHSmith (£44.99 free delivery) and put TomTom 7 + maps on it instead of the pre-loaded TurboDog, and don't pay a penny to TT.

10. MarriedBlonde

MarriedBlonde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yuor always going to get those that sit in the pro tomtom camp and others that scream garmin are the best.

Looking through the threads on this forum it appears neither are free from faults.

Personally I haven't had any trouble with my tomtom's (on my third and about to buy my fourth - I like gadgets) they work perfectly and are simple to use (even my 73 year old dad can figure one out!). I like the way they look.

Unless you really want the live traffic service from the x40 units I wouldn't bother spending out the money for one and would go for the 930.

J.

11. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    I hated my Tomtom XL, that's for sure.
    I currently have a Garmin, which I find better.
    Having said that, I hardly ever stay loyal to one manufacturer.
    I like to 'dabble' and broaden my experiences.
    So if I were able to go buy another satnav, I would go for a Navigon this time.
    Probably the 2100 max.

12. garyelaine

garyelaine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a tomtom go300 5 years a go and have no problems with the unit, i have updated to a new map.
    The only problem i have had was after a free trial for a month of traffic which worked very well.
    I then payed for a years subscription and that is when the trouble began, with not being able to connect to traffic, after contacting tomtom,i changed phone and to contract with orange,being told 2 mobile phones were incompatible when they worked in the trial period.
    Many e-mails and even phone calls i was told i would get a refund, but never received a penny and would not bother paying for the service again.