Should I get the Philips DVP5960 or DVP5980? And whats the difference anyhow?

E

ecw199

I have just order a Panasonic TX32LX70 LCD TV and now I want to get a DVD player with upscaling so I can get the most from my telly.

I don't want to spend too much money and I've heard the Philips Upscalers are good but I don't know wether to get the Philips DVP5960 or the DVP 5980.
To be honest I'm not sure what the difference is between them, except that the DVP5960 is cheaper (at least on Amazon).

So whats the difference and which should I get bearing in mind I'll be using it with an TX32LX70 LCD? Also does using an upscaler really make a difference to the quality of the picture?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer advice :thumbsup:

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Hi

I brought the DVP5960 today,I am truly amazed at the value for money. I was originally looking at the 5980 but the only difference between the 2 is that the 5980 can display 1040p. Except for that they are the same player.

I hooked it up to my hard drive and it plays all my xvids,photos and music no problem. Only minor gripe is the file name length, you get approx 6 characters on show so at times it can be difficult to know what file you are selecting (especially in the case of albums by the same artist)

Saying all that though for £40, they are very minor points.

Good luck in finding one though, it took me 2 weeks to find this player and it was the last in the shop, ended up getting it from Currys (amazon was cheaper but it was 3 weeks till they got it in stock)

Buy one, you wont regret it

Peopleselbowpad

The 5980 can upscale to 1080p and the 5960 can only go upto 1080i.

As your TV is 768p then the 5960 is probably the better choice and with all the modded firmware available for it then there is plenty of life left in it just yet.

chris57

Hi

I brought the DVP5960 today,I am truly amazed at the value for money. I was originally looking at the 5980 but the only difference between the 2 is that the 5980 can display 1040p. Except for that they are the same player.

I hooked it up to my hard drive and it plays all my xvids,photos and music no problem. Only minor gripe is the file name length, you get approx 6 characters on show so at times it can be difficult to know what file you are selecting (especially in the case of albums by the same artist)

Buy one, you wont regret it

There is someone working on getting long file names to display via USB (Long file names are available already via DVD with a modded firmware). It is an extremly difficult to get them to display via USB but has been done by Newage on another player with the same chipset so it should be done eventually.

Its 1080i and 1080p by the way.

E

ecw199

Thanks very much for the replies. :)

To be honest I don't know what the difference is between 1080p and 1080i? I have read elsewhere on this forum that the 5960 is better is you have a plasma and the 5980 is better for an LCD TV. Is this right?

So whats best for a Panasonic TX32LXD70 seeing its a LCD.

More advice most welcome

chris57

Thanks very much for the replies. :)

To be honest I don't know what the difference is between 1080p and 1080i? I have read elsewhere on this forum that the 5960 is better is you have a plasma and the 5980 is better for an LCD TV. Is this right?

No its not right.

If your TV cannot display 1080p then go for the 5960. Its cheaper and has modded firmwares available that enable some features that aren't available on the 5980. The 5980 was a quickly released succesor to the 5960 due to 1080p TV panels coming onto the market. The Phillips site has used the majority of the 5960 manual/spcs etc.

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
There is someone working on getting long file names to display via USB (Long file names are available already via DVD with a modded firmware). It is an extremly difficult to get them to display via USB but has been done by Newage on another player with the same chipset so it should be done eventually.

Its 1080i and 1080p by the way.

Yeah was a typo :rotfl:

Flashed it with the Porkupan latest update this afternoon, now is even more amazing, some of the slower playing xvids are now up to speed, also a funky new visual tweak.

This has to be the best £40 ever spent.

Interesting, if they can sort the file name length, would be great.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom