1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I get Sky+ ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by louisroberto, Aug 29, 2005.

1. louisroberto

louisroberto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just about to buy a new Sony LCD V Series. Will admit to not being clued up on the technology but would appreciate some help/advice.

What's the advantage of Sky+ over a DVD Recorder/HDD combi or a PVR.

2. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    The SKY+ has a built-in Electronic Programme Guide so you select which programme to record and it gets on with it. You don't need to program in a channel number, times or anything else. In addition, you can record one channel while watching another. You can even pause the live programme you are watching while you answer the phone or whatever.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Put simply, its simplicity.
    Sky+ is the easiest to use PVR on the planet.

It also has twin tuners, so you can record 2 programs at the same time whilst watching a program you've previously recorded.

Its a very clever system. I hate Sky, but you have to hand it to them... Sky+ is brilliant.

My folks can use easy as pie, but they'd have absolutely no chance with a HDD/DVD recorder.

Once you've had Sky+, it is very very hard to imagine life with out it.... even if you're not a huge TV watcher.

I just want someone to introduce a Sky+ clone on the Freeeview platform, so that its... erm..... free!

4. Jacob

Jacob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with both the above posts. So much easier to use than my DVD recorder which I couldn't be bothered to set half of the time. Hence I now have Logan's Run, Hunt for Red October and Ben Hur (it's a classic!!) all ready to go!

5. louisroberto

louisroberto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your responses. Seems like I'll be calling Sky tomorrow for an upgrade.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    You may want to wait a bit a while until SKY start using the new 80gig model (PVR3 as some call it) on their marketing promotions, you may get one anyway but you would kick yourself if you didn't:)

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Why, what does the PVR3 do that the Pace V1 and V2 don't do ? The PVR3 is an unknown quantity, and we know exactly what we can and cannot do with the Pace models.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It records approx 40 hours without requiring an hard drive upgrade.
    If you are hinting at the possibility of push recording then I personally don't think that will affect the day to day use of the SKY+ and certainly won't be anymore dangerous for accidental useage/billing then dialing a premium interactive number.

You are correct about it being an unknown quantity but what is so special about the current models that makes them so desireable?
    For everyone with a good thing to say about a v2 or v1 and even the Amstrad and SKY+160 you'll find someone who had nothing but trouble:)

9. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I personally much prefer TiVo.

Sky+ would drive me bonkers as it can't do a lot of things a multi-TiVo setup can do.

Sky+ is simpler to set-up, is only one box versus 4 for a twin tuner setup, can have its hard drive more easily upgraded (though TiVo can go up to 800GB each), and records bitstream quality and has better teletext support and audio quality is a bit better too.

But in every other regard TiVo , despite its ancient hardware, is far superior IMHO.
    Better metadata and smarter software makes ease of use much,much,much EASIER to use for me.
    TiVo is however much more sophisticated so it may not be to your taste.

However, Sky+ High-=Def is a different kettle of fish.
    The picture and sound quality should be vastly better than even a modded TiVo.
    So I will probably go for Sky+ High Def, but keep the TiVos as they are more reliable, so cover me when the Sky+ box inevitably screws up.

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think the majority of Pace V1 and V2 owners are quite happy. You only hear bad news on forums, and for every unhappy Sky+ owner, I'm sure there's 500 happy ones.

Regarding the Tivo - yes, they are good systems, but it's a shame that Tivo decided to abandon all the European Tivo owners. If I had paid £199 for a Tivo life-time subscription, and the only place I could buy a Tivo was second-hand on Ebay, I wouldn't be at all happy. There will come a time when there are no working Tivo's in the UK, and it's not that far off. A "lifetime" isn't that long, is it ?

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Indeed, I have no reason to get rid of my 4 year old v1 despite it's 17min bug which would make a HD upgrade debatable, thankfully I can live with 20 hours recording and 99.9% flawless operation.

Looking back I assume the same questions that are being raised now by this new SKY+ also occured when the v2 was released and overlapped the v1, same again with the Amstrad versions which was fine for the first batch and then kinda went downhill.

No real guarantees either way but a prospective buyer should be made aware of the options:)