Should I get Panasonic TH-50PZ850U???

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Vinniepaz, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Vinniepaz

Vinniepaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was dead set on getting the Panny TH-50PZ850U after seeing Cnets review and lots of other sites with positive reviews. Seems like it was the 2nd best tv of 2008.

But today I went to Best Buy and was looking around (killing time) and saw the same tv (it MIGHT have been the TH-50PZ85U), but anyways. Now I know they dont set the tvs up so they get the best picture.....but damn. It was pretty grainy and didnt have that "clear" look to it. I turned around and saw the wall of other tvs like Sony brand and the picture was clear and kept thinking, "I hope I can ajust the Panny so it looks like that". I didnt see the remote around to mess with the setting but does anyone have this set can vouche for the awsome picture I've been reading about? Thanks

2. chapeau

chapeau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well nobody has answered so I shall dive in with some nonsense.

First, you are based in the US and most people on here are based in the UK so I suspect very few will have your exact model.

Best Buy is a stack-em-high and sell-em-cheap type of place and they probably don't really know what they are doing. I would trust a cnet review more than a best buy experience.

Standard Definition TV in the US is very poor quality compared to SD tele in the rest of the world (comes with having colour TV first in the world so technology was earlier) and a SD picture over there always looks a bit rubbish on large screens. I suspect best buy had a SD channel on the panasonic, and a HD picture on the others.

Remember that best buy don't really know what they are doing.

Over here (and seing as the same TV hardware is ssentially the same as used in the US ) a panasonic plasma is considered to be second best only to pioneer, and it's really only a difference that videophiles - if a real world - appreciate. For the majority of us the picture is potentially outstanding - if source is not rubbish.

Terrestrial HD is available in the states using your existing antenna so you need to see what that looks like. It will be better than SD.

FInd a decent store and ask to see the panasonic plasma with various sources and compare with other teles. Remember, best buy don't know what they are doing.

If you are going to buy a plasma, then you cannot really go wrong with a panasonic. Standard Definition on these large screens really is a case of garbage in-garbage out. If you have a decent SD signal, you get a decent SD picture. If you don't have a decent SD signal, you get a rubbish SD picture. The tele itself is excellent at upscaling SD so it looks more than acceptable on a 1080 screen.

So there you go :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  3. Vinniepaz

Vinniepaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yea I know BB doesnt know anything when it comes to getting the picture right at the stores. But it was hooked up to a Blu-ray player playing Transformers. Anyways, yea I'm just gonna get the tv. Thanks again.