1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I get AV system or normal Hi-Fi system?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gan*, Oct 19, 2003.

1. gan*

gan*
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im thinking of getting a hi-fi system, but now considering a av system which can deliver music also. Will I still gain good quality music also?

Any recomendations on an amp, within £200?

Actually could go up to £280

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Amp for £200 get you a marantz PM4400 stereo amp or a nice starter 5.1 Marantz SR4300 from RS also a couple of Nice Yamaha units using proper front speakers will give you a very good stereo sound (better than a £200 mini system) Better than a £300 system you'llend up spending more but yo get so much more for your investment!

3. gan*

gan*
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SR4300 looks good.....preferably looking for a silver amp, so it can go with my dvd player.

Also looking to buy some Mission speakers, any recommendations?

Thanks

4. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out NAD T761, it was the top of the Range for NAD , now replaced by the T762, you can surely find this model at very good prices

5. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    i personally don't rate those marantz 4300/5300 models- they sound a bit gutless and lacking in punch

i'd try for a Yamaha RXV440 (or HTRR5640 (I think) in Silver)- much more dynamic sounding for movies and music.

as long as you're only considering the Mission M3x series, then thats ok- the discontinued M7x series were way past their sell by date with flimsy build and scrappy sounding tweeters

the m33 fronts are good for £200 and aim for the M3c2 centre at £150 which gives a good acoustic match. the m3ds rears round it off at £180, unless you want to make the most of the Yamaha's 6.1 by ading a M3c1 rear-centre (between two rears) at £90. not cheap, is it??

hths

Rozzar